"Do-It-Yourself Study Abroad" ESL School Search and Application Site
5 Steps to Study Abroad Success

Types of ESL Schools

University Intensive English Programs

This type of Intensive English Program (IEP) is located on the campus of and hosted by a university or a college. These IEPs are recommended for those students whose purpose for studying abroad is academic, such as eventually enrolling at a college or university and attaining a degree. The University IEP programs are recommended for those students who desire an intellectually challenging and international atmosphere.

Accomplish Your Academic Goals
At university IEPs you will become prepared to accomplish your future academic goals by acquiring the study skills necessary for success at the collegiate level. In fact, once you have progressed to the more difficult ESL levels, some schools give you the opportunity to audit official college courses. Although most colleges and universities have a minimum TOEFL score requirement for undergraduate admission, some schools allow students who complete the most difficult ESL course to enroll in the host university without taking the TOEFL. Other UIEPs will write a letter of recommendation on behalf of the student seeking undergraduate admission.

Beyond Your Academic Goals
The ESL courses offered at university IEPs have fairly infrequent starting dates (paralleling the academic semester) and are for the student who desires a longer ESL course. The University IEP experience gives you the opportunity to actively participate inside of an actual university campus filled with presently enrolled students. You will be well informed of and able to easily participate in school events that take place on campus, which is also a great setting to make friends. Although specific availability depends on the school, you will have access to the on-campus student facilities, such as a gymnasium, student center, and computer room. University IEPs are an excellent place to seriously increase your English abilities and create a solid foundation for continuing your education into the future.

Private Language School (At University Campus or City Center)

You can find Intensive English Programs (IEP) provided by private schools on the main campus of a university or in the center of a major city. This type of IEP is most suitable for students who will stay for comparatively shorter periods of time or wish to have free time to explore the host country in addition to English language study. IEPs in this category are more diversified than the University based IEPs. Schools vary in size, location, student-teacher ratio, classroom hours per week, and available facilities. For those students who wish to experience life in a foreign country while generally improving all aspects of their language skills, the General English Course would be an excellent option.

Characteristics of IEPs at Private English Schools
Similar to the University IEPs, students are divided according to proficiency level based on the results of a placement exam. Other courses, such as Business English or Test Preparation English (TOEIC, TOEFL, etc.) are also readily available. Another attractive feature of this type of IEP is the numerous opportunities to enroll. Students may choose from various terms of study, starting dates and courses. Those students who only have a limited amount of time available and wish to spend it abroad studying English will find this type of IEP to be very accommodating.

Location is another area where you can select a school that meets your specific needs. For example, in a city location, although you will not have access to the same facilities that are offered on the campus of a university, you will have ample opportunity to make use of the convenient public transportation and explore the surrounding area. Private IEPs each have their own distinct characteristics allowing students the freedom to select the school that best meets their needs and preferences.