Syracuse University (SU)
- ELI provides intensive English instruction to students at all levels of proficiency helping students gain confidence in their field leading to personal and professional success
- Study on the campus of Syracuse University and receive professional instruction and personal attention from friendly faculty to meet individual student needs
- Live on a beautiful hillside campus of Syracuse University overlooking the safe, culturally diverse city of Syracuse
- About the ESL Program
- Syracuse University’s English Language Institute (ELI) provides intensive English instruction to international students and visiting professionals at all levels of proficiency from beginner to advanced. ELI focuses on the academic and professional advancement of all students by providing small class sizes, individualized attention and a highly qualified and experienced faculty. The ELI staff assists students with everything from housing and campus life to immigration. ELI students have access to all of the facilities of Syracuse University including libraries, computer labs, athletic facilities and student centers (bookstores, cafeterias, snack bars, and meeting spaces). Admission to the English Language Institute does not constitute admission to Syracuse University. However, undergraduate students and many graduate students who have been conditionally admitted to Syracuse and complete proficiency Level 4 of the ELI will have the TOEFL requirement waived. The Syracuse University Admissions Office or the relevant graduate department determines academic eligibility for conditional admission. ELI is a proud member of EnglishUSA (The American Association of Intensive English Programs) which promote professional standards and quality instruction in intensive English programs.
- Fast Facts
Affiliation : Private University
Establishment : 1979
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA
Enrollment : 150
Average Class Size : 12-14
Airport Pickup : Available From School
Tuition : Medium
Community Type : Urban
Transportation : Bus, Taxi
- A Message from School
- At Syracuse University's English Language Institute, we really care about you and your individual needs. When you arrive in Syracuse, we'll meet you at the airport, take you where you need to go, and help you with your transition to life in the USA. Our friendly faculty and staff assist you with everything from housing and campus life to immigration, as well as personal recommendations and assistance with University admission. English language proficiency is the key to your success. Syracuse University's English Language Institute (ELI) provides outstanding intensive English instruction to international students and visiting professionals at all levels of proficiency. We look forward to receiving your application from ApplyESL.com!
Interim Director of English Language Institute
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- While attending the school, students have the option to live in on-campus or off-campus housing. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities, and other students – both American and international. For students who prefer a more independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the campus environment. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as soon as possible due to the limited amount of space available. The school may provide information about private off-campus apartments; however, it is the students’ responsibility to make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- Syracuse University and the ELI are located on a beautiful hillside campus overlooking the safe and culturally diverse city of Syracuse, New York. With a metropolitan population of 700,000, Syracuse is the fifth most populous city in the state of New York and the economic and educational hub of Central New York. Downtown Syracuse is just a short walk, drive, or bus ride from campus and has many parks, fields and recreation areas. For those wanting to travel further, the cities of Toronto, Boston, Montreal and New York City are also within driving or a one hour flight distance. Students studying at ELI can experience all that Syracuse has to offer including the nationally known Everson Museum of Art, the Rosamond Gifford Zoo, sporting events, the Carousel Center mall, and festivals such as JazzFest and Winterfest.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1870, Syracuse University is a private, coeducational university with an international reputation for excellence in programs and research. SU offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s, law and doctoral degree programs and enrolls over 21,000 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. With students from all 50 states and more than 115 countries, international students make up about 10% of the total university student population and many SU students choose to study abroad each year. The English Language Institute is one of many programs offered at SU which helps students make the transition to the university and helps them to have a safe, fulfilling experience. The university offers undergraduate degrees in over 200 majors at 9 undergraduate schools and colleges. SU also offers numerous Master’s and doctoral degrees from the Graduate school. SU Abroad currently offers joint programs with universities in over 40 countries and the school operates eight international centers in Beijing and Hong Kong, Turkey, Italy, the United Kingdom, Spain, France and Chile. Syracuse University is in the top 100 universities in the United States, with highly regarded programs in Interior Design, Management, Creative Writing, Fine Arts, Journalism, Social Work, and Law. SU also has top-ranked programs in Architecture, Advertising, Entrepreneurship, Information Systems, International Relations, Library and Information Science, Public Administration, Public Relations, and Radio/Television. Athletic teams include top-rated basketball and lacrosse programs. SU and ELI students are able to have fun, relax and enjoy many cultural events on and off campus.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional admission can be offered to international students who meet the academic qualifications but are in need of more English. Those students must apply directly to the Admission Office for UG and to the Graduate School. For many undergraduate programs, students who satisfactorily complete Level 4 of the ELI will have the TOEFL waived. Some graduate programs also waive the TOEFL subsequent to Level 4 completion and recommendations from the ELI. However, admission to the ELI does not constitute admission to Syracuse University degree programs.
- Study Options
Academic English Program
- The Academic English Program at Syracuse University’s English Language Institute (ELI) offers high quality intensive English instruction for students who want to succeed in an academic program and improve their English skills. The Academic English Program is offered year-round with sessions beginning in the spring, summer and fall. Spring and fall sessions are 15 weeks in length while there are two summer sessions each for 6 weeks. Students taking the Academic English Program spend 20-25 hours per week in small classes with personalized attention from instructors and many opportunities to practice their English.
Academic English offers students instruction at 6 levels including Low Beginner, Beginner, Low Intermediate, Intermediate, High Intermediate and Advanced. Upon arriving at the ELI, all students will participate in a comprehensive orientation session and take the Institute's placement test. ELI’s orientation will familiarize each student with the school and the program and the testing will insure the student is placed in the proper level course. Courses in the Academic English program include reading comprehension, academic writing, grammar, listening comprehension, and oral production.
Small, interactive classes are emphasized to ensure full student participation. Class sizes range from 12-14 students and average 10 students per classroom. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
CLASS SIZE: 12-14 Students CLASS LEVELS: 6 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 6, 15 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 Years Old REQUIREMENT: High School Diploma VISA INFORMATION: F-1 Student Visa Required (I-20 Form Issued Upon Request) HOUSING: Dormitory/On-Campus Apartment
12 WEEKS: 5/17 - 6/25 7/6 - 8/12
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 100
- TUITION FEE (2021)
6 WEEKS US$ 3,825 12 WEEKS US$ 7,650
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE WEEKS N/A 15 WEEKS N/A US$ 3,235-$ 5,671 US$ 500 per month and up
- Airport Pickup Service
- Free from Syracuse Hancock International Airport
- Tuition Deposit
- US$ 500
- Health Insurance & Textbooks
- US$ 800 (6w); 1,800 (15w)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Syracuse, New York
English Language Institute (ELI)
700 University Avenue, Room 207 Syracuse, New York 13244-2530 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.