"Do-It-Yourself Study Abroad" ESL School Search and Application Site

Frequently Asked Questions and Q&A


Min Jung

Need to Apply for Student Visa?

I would like to apply for an 8-Week English course. I already have a tourist visa which allows me to stay in the country for 6 months. Do I still need to apply for a student visa? Min Jung


Dear Min Jung,

If you want to study in the USA, with your tourist visa you may choose to apply for a part-time English course which some schools offer. If you have a tourist visa, the rules state that you may not study full-time. In order to take a full-time course, you may be asked to return to your country and apply for the student visa. You may not study in any course once your tourist visa has run out.

Chris Advisor