University of Hawaii, Hawaii Community College (HCC)
- Quality academic program for college preparation or personal and professional development
- Emphasis on English skill development critical for understanding and participation in academic assignments, in-class discussions and personal development
- Located in the beautiful city of Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii with a safe, friendly, and convenient environment with warm tropical weather all year round
- About the ESL Program
- The Intensive English Program (IEP) at Hawaii Community College was established in 1995 and its mission is to provide the highest quality academic English language instruction and comprehensive support to international students seeking academic, personal, and professional goals in a rich, cross-cultural environment. IEP offers 8-week sessions five times a year for students from beginners to high intermediate. Students are provided with 20 hours a week of academic English instruction in reading, writing, listening, speaking and grammar skills. One of the many goals of the program is to prepare students with the skills required to study at an American university. Students who complete the Intensive English Program will be able to apply writing and critical thinking skills to academic assignments, read, comprehend and respond to academic texts, use listening and speaking skills for in-class discussions and understand grammar concepts and apply them to a variety of skill areas. The Intensive English Program at Hawaii Community College is fully accredited by CEA (The Commission on English Language Program Accreditation) and the school is a proud member of AAIEP (The American Association of Intensive English Programs), which promotes professional standards and quality instruction in intensive English Programs.
Type : Public
Establishment : 1995
Membership/Accreditation : AAIEP / CEA
Enrollment : 40
Average Class Size : 4
Student Adviser : YesAirport Pickup : Yes
Internet Access : Yes
Tuition : Medium
Activities : Frequent
Location : Suburban
Transportation : Bus, taxi
- A Message from School
- Aloha! Hawaii Community College’s Intensive English Program (IEP) is located in Hilo, Hawai‘i, on the east side of Hawai‘i Island. Hawai‘i Island, also known as the “Big Island,”is a 40-minute flight from Honolulu. Hawai‘i is a beautiful place to live and study. The town of Hilo is small and quiet. There are many things to do if you enjoy nature and being close to the ocean. Hilo keeps the old traditions of Hawai‘i and it is a good location to learn more about Hawaiian culture. The IEP is a small program with a family atmosphere. Our teachers are kind and friendly professionals, who will work closely with you to reach your academic goals. We are used to working with students who have never been abroad before. The IEP is a serious academic program, but we also know how to make learning English enjoyable. Our focus is on communication, and we try to involve all of our students with community-based activities and various volunteer programs. We look forward to receiving your application from ApplyESL.com!
Sherri Leibert Fujita, Coordinator
Intensive English Program
Hawaii Community College
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- IEP hosts students from around the world every year. Recently, students have come to the program from Japan (75%), China (10%), Taiwan (5%), Korea (5%) and other Asian countries (5%).
- Faculty Qualifications
- All IEP instructors are highly trained professionals with advanced degrees in teaching English as a second language or a closely related field. All instructors have extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world, and most have lived and traveled abroad. The personal and academic qualities of the instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- Students may request pre and post arrival support for a fee of US$125. For this fee, housing will be arranged prior to arrival, and students will be picked up at the airport, and taken to their new apartments. They will also be taken on two separate shopping trips and be given assistance with setting up a local bank account, and getting other services such as internet access or a cell phone. Housing arranged for pre and post arrival support will be in off-campus student housing within walking distance from the campus.
Students who do not request pre and post arrival support are responsible for locating their individual off-campus housing. IEP will provide students with information about available off-campus housing options from the Department of Housing & Residence Life. For students who prefer an independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the campus environment. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available.
- Surrounding Area
- The Intensive English Program at the University of Hawai‘i, Hawai‘i Community College is located in Hilo, a quiet, friendly, and safe town which is the second largest in the state of Hawai‘i. Hilo is the largest settlement on the Island of Hawai‘i with a population of approximately 45,000 people. The town overlooks Hilo Bay which is situated nearby to two famous volcanoes, Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea. In fact, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is located only 45 minutes to the south. The Big Island of Hawai‘i has a mix of tropical rains and sunny days which makes everything lush and green throughout the year. The environment is dramatic with beautiful waterfalls, fertile rainforests and blooming gardens all over. Hilo has safer, cleaner and quieter than Honolulu and other large metropolitan areas. There are many attractions for students such as the beach, mountains and forest areas which are close by. Students enjoy swimming, surfing, snorkeling, diving, hiking and camping in their free time. Today’s Hilo is a vibrant town, home to great museums, art galleries, unique shops and the Hilo Farmers Market.
- About the College/University
- Hawai‘i Community College (HawCC) is one of ten branches of the nationally ranked University of Hawaii system which currently enrolls over 2000 students. HawCC continues to rank as one of the top 25 community colleges in the United States and has been providing higher education to students for 70 years. The school offers international students 22 Associates of Arts or Associate of Applied Science degrees in vocational arts, liberal arts, business, nursing, and forestry. In addition the school is the only community college in the United States with a Hawaiian Lifestyles degree program with an option to transfer to a 4-year degree program in Hawaiian Studies. Graduates of HawCC have gone on to careers in private industries, education, health and many other fields. All degree programs give students chances for an internship to apply their learning to work experience, service learning, and Optional Practical Training (OPT) after graduation. The school shares some facilities, including the library and some classrooms with the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo, a 15-minute walk from the main HawCC campus. The spirit of community unites all parts of Hawaii Community College into an “academic village without walls” which contributes to the overall success of students.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional admission to Hawaii Community College is available to students who complete the Intensive English Program Level 4.
Intensive English Program
- About This Course
- The Intensive English Program (IEP) offers five 8-week sessions each year beginning in January, March, June, August and October. Students receive 20 hours of class instruction per week. Each student is taught the core English skills of reading, writing, listening, speaking and grammar. One of the primary goals of the program is to prepare students thoroughly for challenges of studying at an American university.
Students at the IEP are provided with a variety of services which will help them improve their English such as conversation partners, a multi-media language lab, a computer lab, free access to library and learning resources, TOEFL preparation, lessons about Hawaiian culture and a variety of activities to assist in the learning process. IEP offers English classes at four levels of proficiency from Beginner to Advanced. The staff strives to match the levels of the course to the abilities of incoming and continuing students
IEP offers students a variety of exciting activities to enhance their experience at the school. In addition to course work, students are able to participate in weekend trips around the island. There are visits to beautiful beaches, star gazing and local cultural events to join.
Class sizes range from 4 to 15 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 4-15 Students CLASS LEVELS: 4 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 8 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 Years Old REQUIREMENT: High School Diploma VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Provided On Request HOUSING: Off-Campus Residence
8 WEEKS: 8/23 - 10/14Apply by 6/11 10/25 - 12/16Apply by 8/13 8 WEEKS: 1/10 - 3/3Apply by 11/1 3/21 - 5/12Apply by 1/7
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 75
- TUITION FEE (2021)
8 WEEKS US$ 2,205
- (INCLUDED WITH AIRPORT PICKUP SERVICE)
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 8 WEEKS N/A N/A US$ 1,200-2,000
- Airport Pickup Service
- US$ 125 (FULL-SERVICE INCLUDING HOUSING PLACEMENT)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Hilo, Hawaii
Hawaii Community College, Intensive English Program
200 West Kawili Street Hilo, Hawaii 96720-4091 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.