University of Connecticut (UCONN)
- Meet informally and practice English with conversation partners through the Conversation Partner Program
- Transitional Program available for advanced students who may combine UCAELI and University credit courses
- Enjoy living in Storrs, a picturesque and charming college town located midway between New York City and Boston
- About the ESL Program
- Established in 1990, the University of Connecticut American English Language Institute (UCAELI) provides students with high-quality English language instruction to help them attain their personal, academic, and professional goals. Many students enrolled in the Intensive English Program are preparing to enter a degree program, either at the University of Connecticut or at other equally prestigious American colleges or universities. UCAELI allows students to concentrate on developing their English skills while experiencing the rich culture of a university community. Each session, students from around the world come to UCAELI to receive outstanding English language instruction and individual attention from both UCAELI instructors and advising staff. Students gain full access to the University of Connecticut campus facilities and enjoy using the swimming pools, exercise centers, the university library, the student health center, and computer labs with Internet access. A regular program of social activities is also arranged for students and can include international dinners and dance parties, ice skating, skiing, sledding, camping, visiting amusement parks, and trips to nearby Boston and New York City. UCAELI is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) and is a proud member of AAIEP, the American Associate of Intensive English Programs promoting professional standards and high-quality English programs.
Type : Public
Establishment : 1990
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA / CEA
Enrollment : 50
Average Class Size : 12
Student Adviser : YesAirport Pickup : Yes
Internet Access : Yes
Tuition : Medium
Activities : Weekly
Location : Rural
Transportation : Bus, taxi
- A Message from School
- Greetings from Connecticut!
We warmly welcome you to the University of Connecticut American English Language Institute (UCAELI) and invite you to review our profile on ApplyESL.com. UCAELI is an exceptionally supportive English language program based at the University of Connecticut, the leading public university in New England. Since 1990, UCAELI has provided instruction to thousands of students from countries throughout the world. UCAELI supports all students in pursuit of their goals with the highest quality instruction and access to the University's full range of academic, professional, social and cultural resources. The top-ranked public university in New England, the University of Connecticut has its main campus in historically scenic Storrs - midway between New York City and Boston. We greatly look forward to welcoming you to our international community of learners.
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- UCAELI has hosted more than 2,000 students from around the world since 1990. Recently, students have come to UCAELI from Korea (40%), Japan (20%), South America (10%), Turkey (5%), and other countries (25%).
- Faculty Qualifications
- UCAELI instructors are highly-qualified, experienced professionals who hold Master’s degrees in English, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) or in related fields. Many UCAELI instructors have lived and traveled abroad, including China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, and Chile, and have extensive training and experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of UCAELI instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- While attending UCAELI, students have the opportunity to live in on-campus dormitories or to enjoy a homestay experience. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities and other students – both American and international. UCAELI also arranges homestays for those students who want to experience American culture as a member of a family and practice their English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. The UCAELI may provide students with information about private off-campus apartments however it is the students’ responsibility to make their individual arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The University campus is located in Storrs, a charming college town situated in northeastern Connecticut and home to 10,000 residents. Located midway between New York City and Boston, Storrs offers its residents a beautiful, rural landscape of pastures, hilltop cornfields, and picturesque barns paired with the lively atmosphere of the UConn campus. During the college basketball season, Storrs comes alive with excitement as both students and residents alike cheer on UConn’s championship team, The Huskies. Storrs is situated only 40 minutes from Hartford, the state capital, 30 minutes from the quaint port town of New London, and a mere 10 minutes from Willimantic, the home of the Eastern Connecticut State University campus. The classic shores of Cape Cod and the renowned ski slopes of Vermont and New Hampshire are popular weekend destinations among UConn students. Boston, a city rich with artistic, social and intellectual opportunities, and the beaches of Rhode Island’ are both a 90-minute drive from campus, while New York City, the center of cultural diversity, art, world-class entertainment and finance, is a 3-hour drive from Storrs.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1881, the University of Connecticut (UConn) is a premier public research institution ranked #1 in New England by the U.S. News & World Report for its excellent academic programs, knowledgeable professors, and top-notch athletics. UConn’s main campus is located on a beautiful 4,000-acre setting in Storrs and is home to 14,700 undergraduate and 3,800 graduate students, and 1,200 faculty members. The University also maintains five regional campuses in Avery Point, Hartford, Stamford, Torrington and Waterbury. Comprised of 17 academic schools and colleges, UConn offers its students 8 undergraduate degrees and 103 undergraduate majors, 13 graduate degrees and 87 areas of specialization, and 5 professional degree programs. UConn maintains a strong tradition of student involvement in the campus community; students are actively involved in more than 250 clubs and organizations, including 22 nationally-ranked men and women varsity teams, volunteer groups, theater ensembles, and student-run media, including the radio station WHUS, and The Daily Campus newspaper, and the cable television station, UCTV. Students are avid fans of their national champion sports teams, “The Huskies.” UConn’s teams compete at the highest level of the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) and are consistently ranked among the best in the United States.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Upon receiving permission from the UCAELI, advanced-level students may attend classes at the University of Connecticut and earn course credit. No conditional admission to the university is available.
Intensive English Program
- About This Course
- The Intensive English Program offers two 15-week sessions beginning in August and January and one 6-week session during the summer. Students enrolled in the Program receive 23 hours of in-class instruction per week.
The Program offers 4 levels of English classes, from beginning to advanced. At the beginning of the session, students take English proficiency tests to help determine the level best-suited to their ability. At the end of a session, students review their academic progress with their instructors. Students who satisfactorily complete a session are eligible to receive a Certificate of Study.
Students in all levels of instruction study the fundamentals of English speaking, listening, reading, writing, grammar, and communication. Elective courses are also part of the curriculum, allowing students to study specific areas of interest while building their core language skills. Students choose two elective courses per session to study areas including TOEFL Preparation and Pronunciation, Current Events, Business English, Academic Skills, Vocabulary Building, and Cross-Cultural Communication. Upon permission of the UCAELI director, advanced-level students may audit or take for credit university classes in their area of interest in order to become familiar with the lecture and discussion format of regular university classes.
Additionally, students can participate in the Conversation Partner Program and be matched with a partner, usually a UConn student, for informal conversation once or twice a week. Other clubs available on-campus allow students to interact with native English speakers and participate in socio-cultural and educational activities, film showings, or informal gatherings.
Classroom sizes range from 8 to 12 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 8 - 12 Students CLASS LEVELS: 4 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 4,6,15 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 16 Years Old REQUIREMENT: Minimum of 1 year of Previous English Study VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Request HOUSING: Dormitory/On-Campus Apartment
6 WEEKS: 5/17 - 6/25 7/12 - 8/20 15 WEEKS: 8/30 - 12/17
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 150
- TUITION FEE (2020-2021)
4 WEEKS US$ 2,000 6 WEEKS US$ 2,600 15 WEEKS US$ 5,250
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 4 WEEKS N/A US$ 644-1,428 N/A 6 WEEKS N/A US$ 966 -1,134 N/A 15 WEEKS US$ 2,600-3,400 US$ 3,514-6,800 US$ 2,500-3,500
- Airport Pickup Service
- US$ 90
- Health Insurance
- US$ 1,452 Per Semester
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Storrs, Connecticut
American English Language Institute
University of Connecticut
2011 Hillside Road, Unit 1198McMahon Residence Hall #180 Storrs, CT 06269-1198 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 4.4 School Environment: 4.6 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.6 Activities and Social Life: 4.1 Accommodation: 4.4
- There are 10 reviews for this school
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ Taipei, Taiwan, Age 23, Female ]
78 of 88 people found the following review helpful.Great schoolUCAELI is a wonderful school for learning English. They have a very great campus and teachers, all staff are very kind to everyone. I love UCAELI :D
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ Daejeun, S. Korea, Age 26, Male ]
2 of 3 people found the following review helpful.Just As Your HometownThe UConn staff was very friendly to me. First of all the instructors were all kind and gentle to all the students. Once I had a complaint to the airline, so I had to write a form. If the instructor didn't help me, I doubt that I could make it. Also the students at Uconn were very open to foreign students.
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.