North Carolina State University (NCSU)
Intensive English Program (IEP) [Raleigh, North Carolina]
- Study at North Carolina State University, a top 100 American university.
- Receive FREE tutoring from specially trained academic coaches.
- Live in beautiful Raleigh, North Carolina, a city consistently rated as one of the best and safest places to live in the United States.
- About the ESL Program
- The Intensive English Program (IEP) is located at North Carolina State University, a top-ranked American university. The program provides high-quality English language instruction to students seeking academic preparation, professional development, and/or personal enrichment. In addition, students learn study skills, time management strategies, and American culture with free additional support via the IEP’s academic coaching program. Outside of class, there are many fun activities to choose from including beach trips, movie nights, and visits to amusement parks. At NC State, IEP students have access to all university resources and facilities including its computer labs, libraries, and recreational centers.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1887
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA / SACS
Enrollment : 50-150
Average Class Size : 15
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Free for New Students
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Urban
Transportation : Bus, Train, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Hello from North Carolina State University and thank you for your interest in our program! Our Intensive English Program provides an excellent environment in which to study English to reach your academic, professional, or personal goals. Our experienced team of instructors and staff take time to get to know our students and give them the attention and guidance that they need for success. Free tutoring is available and a variety of fun activities are also planned for you at no extra charge. Our program is so much more than just English. We will teach you the academic, cultural, and technological skills that will help you to transition seamlessly to university study and to help you better adjust to life in the United States. You will also have a chance to interact with NC State student mentors so that you can practice what you’ve learned in class and ask any questions you may have. As an NC State student, you will have access to all of the facilities at the university including the world-famous Hunt Library and the 10,000 square foot Carmichael Recreation Center. Here at the IEP, you will receive quality English instruction at a top-ranked public university in one of the best cities in the United States. We can’t wait to meet you!
Director, Intensive English Program
North Carolina State University
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- North Carolina State University hosts students from many countries and regions from around the world including Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America.
- Faculty Qualifications
- IEP instructors are highly qualified professionals with many years of experience teaching English to students from all over the world. The majority of the instructors hold Master's degrees in TESOL, TESL, Linguistics, English or a closely related field. Many instructors have lived and traveled abroad and also speak a second or third language. IEP instructors care deeply about their students and are committed to their academic and personal success.
- Students who are directly admitted to the IEP have the opportunity to live off campus in apartments close to the university. IEP students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements and are strongly encouraged to make these arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. The IEP will provide resources for off-campus housing. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- Raleigh, the capital of North Carolina, has been named America’s best city by Businessweek.com and America’s safest city by Forbes.com. It is consistently rated among the best places to live and work in the United States. Many of the United States’ leading Fortune 500 technology, research, and pharmaceutical companies are located nearby in the Research Triangle Park (RTP). This dynamic city offers a vibrant cultural scene, international restaurants, sporting events, and a moderate temperature with all four seasons (average: high 21 degrees Celsius, low 10 degrees Celsius). Raleigh is conveniently located two hours from both the Atlantic Ocean and the mountains, which makes weekend trips easy and accessible.
- About the College/University
- North Carolina State University was founded as a public land-grant university in 1887 and is the largest university in North Carolina. It is nationally ranked as a top 100 university. More than 34,000 students enroll in over 120 different degree programs in engineering, agriculture and life sciences, physical and mathematical sciences, management, humanities and social sciences, education, textiles, design, veterinary medicine, and natural resources. The University is known for its STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) focus, extensive research funding, outreach and community service, use of technology, entrepreneurialism, and student support. Many engineering programs and other disciplines such as statistics, textiles, and design are nationally ranked and admission is competitive. NC State graduates are leaders in their fields and embody the university’s Think and Do spirit.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional admission is offered through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students should apply directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to be considered for conditional admission. If you are conditionally admitted to North Carolina State University, you are automatically enrolled in the Intensive English Program. There is no need to submit an additional application.
Intensive English Program (IEP)
- About This Course
- NC State’s IEP students learn the academic, cultural, and technological skills essential for smooth transitions to university and professional success. The program offers two 15-week semesters in Fall and Spring and a special 9-week session in the Summer. The IEP provides English language instruction for Intermediate to Advanced English language learners. Upon arrival, students are placed in one of three levels of instruction: intermediate, high intermediate, or low-advanced. Class sizes are small and average 15 students.
Students take up to 25 hours per week in the following classes: Writing/Grammar, Listening/Note-taking, Conversation/Presentation Skills and Reading/Vocabulary. New students also take a special course called American Life and University Culture that teaches them American culture and study skills. NC State students participate in this class as student mentors so that IEP students can get an inside perspective about life in Raleigh and studying at the university. Free tutoring is provided to all IEP students and is available onsite or virtually.
Disclaimer: *Only the upper two levels are offered during the summer session. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details before submitting an application for summer.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 15 Students CLASS LEVELS: 3 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 9, 15 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 Years Old REQUIREMENT: High School Graduate / Minimum Intermediate English Level VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Admission HOUSING: Off-Campus Residence
9 WEEKS: 5/14 - 7/13Apply by 4/13 15 WEEKS: 1/8 - 4/27Apply by 11/15 8/20 - 12/7Apply by 7/9
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 100 (Non-Refundable)
- TUITION FEE (2018)
9 WEEKS US$ 2,981 15 WEEKS US$ 4,971
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 9 WEEKS N/A N/A US$ 1,800-2,400 15 WEEKS N/A N/A US$ 3,000-4,000
- Airport Pickup Service
- Free (Send Arrival Information to School)
- US$ 250-300
- Health Insurance
- US$ 570 (9 Weeks), US$ 1,270 (15 Weeks)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Raleigh, North Carolina
North Carolina State University
Intensive English Program (IEP)
2526 Hillsborough Street, Suite 200 Raleigh, North Carolina 27607 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
- There are 0 reviews for this school
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.