Delaware County Community College (DCCC)
Associate Degrees and ESL Program [Media, Pennsylvania]
- Safe, suburban location with easy access to the exciting city of Philadelphia
- Small class sizes with dedicated faculty who are committed to teaching
- Transfer agreements with 40+ colleges and universities for students who want to continue their education in the U.S. and earn a bachelor’s degree
- About the School
- Delaware County Community College (DCCC) offers two-year associate degree programs to international students along with an ESL program for students who may need English-language support. The College offers 40+ degree programs to international students in a variety of fields. Students can complete a 2-year associate degree and transfer to a 4-year bachelor’s degree program, if they wish. DCCC’s Transfer Office has partnered with over 40 colleges and universities to form dual and guaranteed admission agreements and core-to-core articulation agreements to make the process to obtain a bachelor’s degree as easy as possible.
Type : Public Community College
Establishment : 1967
Membership/Accreditation : Middle State Association
Enrollment : 200
Average Class Size : 15-20
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Included with Homestay
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Suburban
Transportation : Bus, Train, Taxi
- A Message from School
- International students who choose to attend Delaware County Community College are ambitious and committed to getting as much out of their experience studying in the United States as possible. I am so happy to work with you to help you to achieve your educational goals. When you come to DCCC, I will be there to work with you personally as your international student advisor. You will find that our campus is extremely welcoming and that the community surrounding Media, PA is diverse and friendly to international students. I look forward to meeting you some day at DCCC!
Director of International Student Services & Recruitment
Delaware County Community College (DCCC)
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- DCCC’s average enrollment is 12,500 students with 200 international students representing 50 different countries around the world.
- Faculty Qualifications
- DCCC instructors are trained, fully-certified professionals. Many instructors have lived and traveled abroad and have extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of the instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- DCCC is proud to offer a number of housing options to students including the assistance of the Housing Coordinator who works in the International Student Services office. Students who want a true American experience of living with a family can choose our Homestay Program. Students in the program will live with a host family and will have a private furnished bedroom, use of the home’s facilities, and interaction with the host family. Bedding, towels, all utilities and 2 meals per day are included. In addition to regular host family placements, there are a limited number of homestay placements without meals available. These placements provide all of the above except meals. The student will be responsible for his or her own grocery shopping and cooking. The Homestay Application and more information about housing can be found here: ( https://www.dccc.edu/admissions-financial-aid/international-students/homestay-program-housing ) Some students prefer to live in independent, shared housing with other students and no host – which is known as student house-share. The house is fully furnished and equipped. Each student has a private bedroom and shares all other rooms, including bathrooms, living and dining areas, and kitchen. Students are responsible for their own meals. The specific arrangement and monthly fee is determined by the home owner. There are also numerous options for apartment living in the communities surrounding the College. Towns near the College include Media, Newtown Square, Broomall, and Havertown.
- Surrounding Area
- Media, Pennsylvania is a comfortable suburban community known as “Everybody’s Hometown.” It is safe and quiet with convenient shopping, theaters, restaurants and apartments. Easy-to-use public transportation from Media links you to the vibrant city of Philadelphia. Philadelphia is famous for its history and is one of America’s important global centers for business, healthcare, education and culture. The city offers historical and cultural treasures such as the Liberty Bell and world-class museums, including the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Constitution Center and the Barnes Foundation. From DCCC, students can explore New York City (2 hours), Washington, D.C. (2.5 hours), Baltimore, and Boston, as well as beautiful beaches and mountains.
- About the College/University
- Delaware County Community College (DCCC) is an accredited, public two-year college located in Media, Pennsylvania. DCCC students enjoy a safe, high-tech campus surrounded by nature, with easy access to the dynamic and historical city of Philadelphia, 22km away. International students receive access to an excellent ESL program; individual attention from professors through small class sizes (15-20 students on average); and one-on-one advising for academic, immigration, and personal issues. DCCC offers an array of activities to help enhance your learning experience, bolster confidence and give you a true sense of community. Extracurricular activities, from athletics to academic clubs and student government, bring you together with people like you who are transforming their lives through the pursuit of new knowledge and skills. For students who wish to transfer to a 4-year college or university to complete their bachelor’s degree, the College’s location in suburban Philadelphia gives students the opportunity to visit many other schools on the East Coast of the U.S.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- At DCCC, TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, and ACT scores are not required for admission. All high school graduates are eligible for full admission. Therefore, there is no need for conditional admission at DCCC. The College is also able to offer conditional admission letters for select University Transfer Pathway Partnership schools: Arcadia University, Kansas State University, Temple University, West Chester University, and Widener University. Students can request a conditional admission letter from those schools on their application to DCCC.
Associate Degrees and ESL Program
- About This Course
- The College offers 40+ degree programs to international students. Students choose their future academic major from the list of programs below. During New Student Orientation, students will be tested and placed in the appropriate levels of English classes as part of the ESL Program, if needed.
2-year associate degrees in “transfer programs” are for students planning to transfer credits to four-year colleges or universities in order to complete bachelor’s degree programs. DCCC has transfer programs in:
• Administration of Justice
• Business Administration
• Communication Arts - Journalism
• Communication Arts - Theatre
• Communication Arts - Communication Studies
• Computer Science
• Early Childhood Education
• Global Studies
• Graphic Design
• Liberal Arts
• Mathematics/Natural Science
• Science for Health Professions
• Social Work
• Studio Arts
2-year associate degrees in “career programs” are for students seeking training in preparation for full-time employment; however, with planning, these programs may also prepare students
for transfer to a four-year college or university. DCCC has career programs in:
• Advanced Technology
• Culinary Arts
• Emergency Management and Planning
• General Business
• General Studies
• Health Care Management
• Health Studies
• Hotel and Restaurant Management
• Information Technology- Computer Programming
• Information Technology- Game Development
• Information Technology- Help Desk/Technical Support
• Information Technology- Interactive Multimedia
• Information Technology- Network Engineering
• Information Technology-Web Development
• Machine Tool Technology
• Medical Assistant
• Medical Coding and Billing
• Paralegal Studies
• Skilled Trades
Students should indicate their intended program of study on their application to DCCC.
The international student program at DCCC begins with a 3-day orientation. After placement testing, students will meet with an advisor to begin planning their education at the College. Students will be given directions on how to select courses for the upcoming semester, and will learn more about the ESL program.
The ESL program has four subjects (Grammar, Writing, Reading, Listening/Speaking) with three levels each (Elementary, Intermediate I, & Intermediate II), for a total of 12 courses. In addition, students are required to take Developmental English (ENG 050) and Reading (REA 050) courses prior to English Composition I (ENG 100). (More information can be found at: https://www.dccc.edu/esl)
F-1 international students must enroll in no less than 12 credits of courses per semester. This full-time enrollment typically consists of 3-4 courses. Most classes meet on a Monday/Wednesday/Friday or a Tuesday/Thursday schedule. ESL courses are generally offered during the daytime in both the morning and afternoon. Students who test into the Intermediate levels of ESL may be eligible to take regular academic courses in addition to their ESL courses. These courses could include math, art, music, or other courses that students can count towards earning the associate degree at DCCC.
Students can begin their studies at three different times in the academic year: Fall Semester (Late August), Spring Semester (Early January), or Summer Semester (Late May). Students will be issued an I-20 for three years of study (the time to complete the 2- year associate degree plus 1 year for ESL courses, if needed.)
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 15-20 Students CLASS LEVELS: 3 Levels of ESL Courses COURSE LENGTH: 2-3 Years (12-16 Weeks Per Semester) MINIMUM AGE: N/A REQUIREMENT: High School Graduate VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Admission HOUSING: Homestay
155 WEEKS: 2018/8/17 - 2021/8/13 155 WEEKS: 2019/1/4 - 2021/12/17
- APPLICATION FEE
- TUITION FEE (2018-2019)
12-16 WEEKS US$ 5,412
- US$ 400 (Homestay Refundable)
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 12-16 WEEKS US$ 675 Per Month Student Arranged Student Arranged
- Airport Pickup Service
- Included with Homestay
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Media, Pennsylvania
Delaware County Community College (DCCC)
901 South Media Line Road Media, Pennsylvania 19063 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
- There are 0 reviews for this school
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.