Wisconsin ESL Institute (WESLI)
Intensive English Program [Madison, Wisconsin]
- For academically-qualified students, WESLI letter of recommendation may be used in place of TOEFL for admission to many colleges and universities
- Guaranteed transfer to 2 year colleges for qualified students
- Live in Madison, a dynamic college town home to the State Capitol building, four beautiful lakes, pristine beaches and the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- About the School
- Founded in 1981, the Wisconsin ESL Institute (WESLI) is a private English language institute that enjoys an outstanding reputation among students and educational advisors around the world. WESLI operates with a clear purpose to equip students with the English language skills necessary to meet their future goals and provide them with a memorable cross-cultural experience. Each session, an average of 200 students from more than 30 different countries come to WESLI and learn from experienced, creative teachers who encourage them to work hard while having fun. Outside of the classroom, special cultural events and weekly activities are organized by school to encourage students to practice their English while learning about American culture and making new friends. In the past, favorite activities include: downhill ski trips, visiting dairy farms, afternoons going canoeing or kayaking, shopping trips to Chicago or attending University of Wisconsin football games. Students are also encouraged to independently explore Madison’s vibrant neighborhoods or take day trips to see the surrounding areas. WESLI is a proud member of AAIEP, the American Association of Intensive English Programs promoting professional standards and high-quality English programs, and also is accredited by CEA (Commission on English Language Program Accreditation).
Type : Private English School
Establishment : 1981
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA / CEA
Enrollment : 200
Average Class Size : 10
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available from School
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Urban
Transportation : Train, Bus, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Welcome to WESLI !
WESLI has over 30 years of successful experience with international students. The school is located in the city-center of Madison, Wisconsin, the No.1 city to live in the U.S. With our high quality classes, fun activities, great location, and moderate cost, you are certain to have a great experience at WESLI! We will do our best to ensure that you enjoy your time here and quickly improve your English. Feel free to ask any questions, we will answer your questions quickly and help you as much as we can. We look forward to meeting you. WESLI is accredited by CEA (The commission on English Language Program Accreditation) and a member of AAIEP (American Association of Intensive English Programs).
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- WESLI has hosted thousands of international students from around the world. Students come from an average of 30 different countries each session. Recently, the majority of students come to WESLI from Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Taiwan and China. Students also come from Latin America, Africa, Europe, and other parts of Asia and the Middle East.
- Faculty Qualifications
- WESLI instructors are experienced, creative professionals that help their students advance through their programs quickly. Many instructors have lived and taught abroad and have extensive training teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of WESLI instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- WESLI provides students with the opportunity to live in an off-campus residence or enjoy a homestay experience. For students who prefer a more independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the campus environment. WESLI also arranges homestays for those students who want to experience the local culture first-hand as a member of a family and practice their conversational English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Private off-campus apartments may also available; however students must make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The WESLI center is located in the historical heart of beautiful Madison, Wisconsin, just across the street from the picturesque State Capitol Building. Consistently ranked as one of the nation’s top communities in which to live, work and raise a family, Madison is home to more than 220,000 residents and is regularly awarded accolades for its superb quality of life. Money Magazine twice named Madison the “#1 Best place to Live in the United States” while Outside magazine ranked Madison among the top 10 “New American Dream Towns” and the “Friendliest City in the Midwest” by Midwest Living Magazine. Widely-recognized as a progressive, cosmopolitan city with small town charm, Madison is often called The City of Four Lakes as it is surrounded by Lake Mendota, Lake Monona, Lake Wingra and Lake Waubesa; in fact, downtown Madison is located on an isthmus – a narrow strip of land – between lakes Mendota and Monona.
Madison is also home to the world-renowned University of Wisconsin-Madison (UW), a public university founded in 1848 that boasts a current enrollment of more than 41,000 students, making it the 10th largest university in the United States. Known as one of the great research universities of the world, UW is a highly-ranked school in the subjects of education, geography, history and sociology. Downtown Madison is a 1-hour drive from Milwaukee and a 2.5-hour drive from Chicago. As the third-largest city in the United States, Chicago is home to more than 9 million residents and is commonly referred to as the “Second City” or the “Windy City.” While exploring the city, don't forget to visit the Lincoln Park Zoo, the nation's oldest public zoo; the Art Institute of Chicago, home of the largest collection of Impressionist paintings outside of Paris; or three of the world's tallest buildings, the Sears Tower, the Amoco Building and the John Hancock.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- For academically-qualified students, WESLI's letter of recommendation may be used in place of the TOEFL test for admission to many colleges and universities (Undergraduate programs and some graduate programs).
Intensive English Program
- About This Course
- The Intensive English Program is offered in 8-week sessions throughout the year. Students enrolled in the program meet Monday through Friday and receive a minimum of 20 hours of classroom instruction per week. This program is ideal for students who want to achieve maximum progress in their English skills to gain admission to an American college or university, enhance their professional credentials or simply enjoy learning a new language.
The program is offered at 7 levels of instruction from beginner to academic/business skill level. Upon their arrival at WESLI, students are given a placement exam to help determine the level best-suited to their ability.
The program’s curriculum is designed to develop students’ skills in the areas of reading, writing, speaking, listening and pronunciation; among the higher levels, students hone their skills for academic or professional purposes. Students studying at the beginning levels learn to hold basic conversations, read and write simple material and learn to operate in an English-speaking environment. Intermediate-level students learn how to converse comfortably in most subject matters, read the newspaper and write accurately in non-technical areas. Students studying at the advanced level choose from elective classes to study such topics as: Academic Reading; Grammar; Business across Cultures; Communication/Culture; Academic Writing; and Pronunciation. The highest levels--Academic and Business Skill Levels--allow students to polish their English skills for university or professional purposes as they study such topics as: Academic Reading & Writing; Academic Listening & Speaking; Public Speaking; Slang, Listening and Everyday English; and TOEFL Preparation.
For those students who wish to enroll in a degree program following their studies, WESLI’s academic advisor is available to help students apply to any university in the United States or obtain acceptance to WESLI’s partner universities without the TOEFL. Once students successfully complete their program, the WESLI letter of recommendation can be used in place of TOEFL scores for many undergraduate and graduate programs at WESLI’s partner schools.
Classroom sizes average 10 students with a maximum of 14 per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 10 students CLASS LEVELS: 7 levels COURSE LENGTH: 8 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 years old REQUIREMENT: N/A VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon request HOUSING: Homestay
8 WEEKS: 1/4 - 2/27 3/5 - 4/26 4/3 - 6/22 7/2 - 8/24 9/4 - 10/26 10/29 - 12/21
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 125
- TUITION FEE (2018)
8 WEEKS US$ 2,575
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 8 WEEKS US$ 1,750 US$ 1,650 N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- Health Insurance
- US $220 (8w)
- US $150-200 (estimated)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Madison, Wisconsin
Wisconsin ESL Institute (WESLI)
19 North Pinckney St. Madison, Wisconsin 53703 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 4.7 School Environment: 4.9 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.6 Activities and Social Life: 4.3 Accommodation: 4.8
- There are 7 reviews for this school
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.