McDonald International Academy
- Join MIA-organized activities and cheer on the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team, visit the CN Tower, tour the majestic Niagara Falls and take weekend canoe trips to Algonquin Park
- Many MIA students continue to study at such institutions as the University of Toronto, York University and McGill University
- Experience living in Toronto, Canada’s largest city ranked by the United Nations as the most multi-cultural city in the world
- About the School
- Founded in 1994, McDonald International Academy (MIA) provides students with superior educational opportunities. Using the latest pedagogical methods and technological aids, MIA produces a vibrant academic community that helps students attain the English skills necessary to succeed. Since its founding, more than 6,000 students from 25 countries around the world graduated from MIA and successfully enrolled in renowned universities and colleges in Canada and the United States. Many MIA students continue their studies at such famous institutions as the University of Toronto, York University, McGill University, University of Waterloo and, in the United States, the State University of New York (SUNY) at New Paltz. MIA’s classrooms are equipped with computers, Internet connections and other modern equipment to allow instructors to integrate modern techniques in to their teaching methodology and equip students with the most up-to-date skills and knowledge. The main MIA campus is located in the lovely, upscale neighborhood of Yorkville and is a mere 10-minute walk from the University of Toronto campus, allowing students to experience what the most esteemed Canadian university has to offer. Outside of the classroom, students have plenty of opportunities to participate in MIA-organized activities that are a vital part of their overall learning experience. Past activities include: watching baseball games and cheering on the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team, exploring the Royal Ontario Museum, visiting the CN Tower, visiting the majestic Niagara Falls and taking weekend canoe trips in Algonquin Park. MIA is fully registered and accredited by the Ontario Ministry of Education and Training.
- Fast Facts
Affiliation : Private English School
Establishment : 1994
Membership/Accreditation : Ontario Ministry of Education
Enrollment : 200
Average Class Size : 13
Airport Pickup : Available from School
Tuition : Low
Community Type : Urban
Transportation : Train, subway, bus, taxi
- A Message from School
- Welcome to McDonald International Academy’s profile at ApplyESL.com. Our school offers a wide variety of programs and subjects: each with a stimulating curriculum taught by highly qualified, experienced, professional educators who help our students succeed - not only in our school, but also in the future studies and career paths they choose after completing their studies at MIA.
Our school promotes more than academic excellence. We know that students' moral is important too, so we provide a pleasant atmosphere where students can thrive socially in a secure environment. Students tell me how much they like McDonald international Academy and how rewarding this time in their lives has been. I trust that you, too, will greatly enjoy and benefit from your time here.
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- MIA provides students with the opportunity to enjoy a homestay experience. Homestays are ideal for those students who want to experience local culture first-hand as a member of a family and practice their conversational English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Private off-campus apartments are also available; however students must make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The main MIA campus is situated in the bustling heart of one of Toronto’s safest, most upscale neighborhoods. The campus’ central location is perfect for students as the Toronto Reference Library – the largest public library in the city – is right around the corner while the University of Toronto campus is a mere 10-minute walk from the MIA center. The heart of Yorkville, a lovely, posh neighborhood, is an easy walk from the MIA campus and is home to many of the city’s upscale boutiques and stylish restaurants. With its close proximity to the subway, the center’s central location allows students to easily jump on the subway and head to Toronto’s downtown area. Situated on the banks of Lake Ontario and home to 4.7 million residents, Toronto is considered one of the world’s most diverse cities where over 100 languages are spoken. The nature of Toronto’s multiculturalism is reflected in its wonderful mosaic of distinctive neighborhoods. Many explore the colorful Victorian houses of Kensington Market, the open-air food stalls and fruit markets of Chinatown, the top-of-the-line Italian fashion shops, cafés and restaurants of Corso Italia, and the antique shops of The Beaches. Sports enthusiasts are sure to join Toronto’s local avid fans in cheering on the Toronto Raptors (NBA basketball), the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL hockey), and the Toronto Blue Jays (major league baseball). Toronto is home to a number of prominent landmarks, most familiarly being the CN tower – the world’s tallest freestanding structure standing at 553 meters; Yonge Street, the world's longest street; and the Skydome, the world’s first domed stadium with a fully-retractable roof. The majestic Niagara Falls is a 2-hour drive from downtown Toronto and is a popular destination among tourists from around the world. More than 60% of the American population is within a 90-minute flight from Toronto, making weekend trips to such cosmopolitan destinations as Boston, New York City, Washington D.C. and Chicago an ease.
- Study Options
- The Intensive Program is offered throughout the year. Students enrolled in the program receive 30 hours of classroom instruction per week. As one of MIA’s most popular programs, the Intensive Program is ideal for those students who wish to study intensively and develop well-rounded insight in to the English language.
The program is offered at 5 levels of instruction from beginner to advanced. Upon their arrival at MIA, students are given an English assessment test to ensure their proper placement in an ability level. The program’s curriculum concentrates on developing the language skills required for students to achieve greater fluency in a short period of time. Students attend a total of five hours of class every day. Mornings consist of four hours studying in ESL fundamentals class, a class designed to teach the skills required to obtain English language proficiency in the areas of vocabulary, reading, writing, grammar and oral skills. In the afternoons, students attend an elective course to study topics pertinent to their interests. Past elective courses include: Grammar and Writing, Conversation and Listening, and TOEFL Preparation.
As an added service, MIA offers academic counseling and advising to those students planning to enroll in a college or university following their studies. Beginning from their admission to MIA, students receive the expert advice from teachers to help plan their academic careers. University and college representatives regularly visit the MIA campus to speak directly with graduating MIA students. Many MIA students continue their studies at such famous institutions as the University of Toronto, York University, McGill University, University of Waterloo and, in the United States, the State University of New York (SUNY) at New Paltz.
Classroom sizes range from 10 to 15 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
CLASS SIZE: 10 - 15 students CLASS LEVELS: 5 levels COURSE LENGTH: 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 15 years old REQUIREMENT: N/A HOUSING: Homestay
Choose 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 Week Course from Starting Dates
- APPLICATION FEE
- CAN$ 200 (US$ 150)
- TUITION FEE (2021)
4 WEEKS CAN$ 1,200 8 WEEKS CAN$ 2,400 12 WEEKS CAN$ 3,400 16 WEEKS CAN$ 4,600 20 WEEKS CAN$ 5,800 24 WEEKS CAN$ 6,800
- CAN$ 100
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 4 WEEKS CAN$ 1,200-1,500 N/A N/A 8 WEEKS CAN$ 2,400-3,000 N/A N/A 12 WEEKS CAN$ 3,600-4,500 N/A N/A 16 WEEKS CAN$ 4,800-6,000 N/A N/A 20 WEEKS CAN$ 6,000-7,500 N/A N/A 24 WEEKS CAN$ 7,200-9,000 N/A N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- Health Insurance
- CAN $500(covering one calendar year)
- CAN $300 each(varies per course)
- Remarks / Other Information
- Canada Toronto, Ontario
McDonald Language Academy
920 Yonge Street, 2nd Floor Toronto, Ontario M4W 3C7 CANADA
- Getting To Your School
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.