Hansa Language Centre
- FLEXIBLE PROGRAMS
Hansa Students can study what they need with Hansa's Flexible Learning System
- TEACHERS and SMALL CLASSES
Excellent, qualified teachers with an average of only 8 students per class
Both of Hansa's campuses are conveniently located in midtown Toronto, steps from Eglinton subway station
- About the School
- Founded in 1969, Hansa Language Centre is one of the largest language schools in Canada. Offering a wide variety of classes, a flexible schedule, and a long list of trips, excursions, sports and social activities identifies Hansa as a leader in shaping the overall development of English language learners. The design of Hansa’s ESL program is based upon the belief that each student benefits most from a program customized to their individual needs. With over 300 classes led each day by a talented roster of 70 instructors, Hansa allows students to select their course of study pertinent to their individual needs by choosing from the subject menu to study: grammar, vocabulary, reading, writing, reading, idioms, conversation, listening, pronunciation, presentations, Business English, TOEFL and TOEIC. As an added benefit, students intending to study at universities, colleges or technical schools after completing their English courses are entitled to use Hansa’s university placement service free-of-charge. In fact, Hansa works closely with Canadian Colleges and Universities, not only scheduling information seminars and campus visits, but also offering scholarships and bursaries to Hansa graduates. Outside of the classroom, students have plenty of opportunities to participate in Hansa-organized activities, including: weekly movie nights; salsa dancing classes; karaoke singing; excursions to Niagara Falls and the CN Tower; and trips to Algonquin National Park, Montreal, and New York City.
- Fast Facts
Affiliation : Private English School
Establishment : 1969
Membership/Accreditation : CEC
Enrollment : 600-1,200
Average Class Size : 7
Airport Pickup : Available from School
Tuition : Low
Community Type : Urban
Transportation : Train, subway, bus, taxi
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Hansa provides students with the opportunity to enjoy a homestay experience. This housing option is ideal for those students who want to experience Canadian culture first-hand as a member of a family and practice their conversational English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Hotels, independently-operated residences and private apartments are also available near the Hansa campus and throughout Toronto; however students must make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- Hansa Language Centre’s campuses are situated in the cosmopolitan city of Toronto, Canada, the nation’s largest city and the fifth largest in North America, following Mexico City, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. Home to 4.7 million residents, Toronto – a name stemmed from a native Huron Indian word meaning “meeting place” – is deemed to be one of the world’s most diverse cities where over 100 languages and dialects are spoken throughout the city. The inherent nature of Toronto’s multiculturalism is reflected in its wonderful mosaic of distinctive neighborhoods. Visitors and residents alike explore the colorful Victorian houses – some housing Toronto’s best vintage clothing stores – of Kensington Market, the open-air food stalls, shops, fruit markets and authentic cuisines of Chinatown, the top-of-the-line Italian fashion shops and true cafés and restaurants of Corso Italia, and the wooden boardwalk, antique shops and clapboard cottages of The Beaches. Art lovers enjoy wandering through the Art Gallery of Ontario – the eighth-largest art museum in North America – the Trevor Allan Gallery and The Market Gallery while music enthusiasts are sure to enjoy the Toronto Downtown Jazz Festival featuring more than 1,500 international and Canadian musicians at more than 40 different venues or the lavish Broadway-style musicals performed in the downtown Theatre District. Sports fans are sure to join the city’s local avid fans in cheering on the Toronto Raptors (basketball), the Toronto Maple Leafs (hockey), the Toronto Lynx (soccer), the Toronto Blue Jays (baseball) and the Toronto Argonauts (football). More than 60% of the U.S. population is within a 90-minute flight from Toronto, making weekend trips to such cosmopolitan destinations as Boston, New York City, Washington D.C. and Chicago an ease.
- Study Options
Intensive English Program
- The program is offered at 12 levels of instruction; Level 1 is designed for those students with absolutely no knowledge of English while Level 12 students score 600+ on the TOEFL. Students can choose to study from 15 hours/ week to 30 hours/ week. When students arrive at Hansa, they are given an English language skills test and an interview to help determine the level best-suited to their ability. Upon completion of their courses, students are awarded a Certificate of Completion stating the level successfully completed.
Each student creates their own academic program tailored to their individual interests and requirements and is entitled to alter their program as their skills improve and their short-term goals are attained. After selecting their academic focus, students choose classes from a subject menu including: grammar, vocabulary, writing, reading, idioms, conversation, listening, pronunciation, presentations, Business English and TOEFL and TOEIC preparation courses which focus on the important skills required for the tests. Students are placed in classes with other students of the same skill level. Students in Levels 1-6 attend classes at Hansa’s Eglinton campus while students studying in Levels 7-12 study at the Yonge Street campus.
As an added benefit, students intending to study at universities, colleges or technical schools after completing their English courses are entitled to use Hansa’s university placement service free-of-charge. Some Canadian universities and colleges, in fact, work closely with Hansa and offer scholarships to Hansa graduates, schedule information seminars and provide academic credit for students’ courses completed at Hansa.
Classroom sizes average 8 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
CLASS SIZE: 8 students CLASS LEVELS: 12 levels COURSE LENGTH: 3-48 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 16 years old REQUIREMENT: N/A HOUSING: Homestay
Choose 3 - 48 Week Course from Starting Dates
- APPLICATION FEE
- CAN$ 100 (US$ 75)
- TUITION FEE (2021)
3 WEEKS CAD$ 595 - 1,045 4 WEEKS CAD$ 760 - 1,360 8 WEEKS CAD$ 1,420 - 2,620 16 WEEKS CAD$ 2,740 - 5,140 32 WEEKS CAD$ 5,380 - 10,180 48 WEEKS CAD$ 8,020 - 15,220
- CAN$ 150 (First 4 weeks include the placement fee)
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 4 WEEKS CAN$ 1,050 N/A N/A 8 WEEKS CAN$ 1,950 N/A N/A 12 WEEKS CAN$ 2,850 N/A N/A 16 WEEKS CAN$ 3,750 N/A N/A 20 WEEKS CAN$ 4,650 N/A N/A 24 WEEKS CAN$ 5,550 N/A N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- CAN$ 100 (One Way)
- Remarks / Other Information
- Canada Toronto, Ontario
Hansa Language Centre
2160 Yonge Street Toronto, Ontario M4S 2A8 CANADA
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 3.6 School Environment: 4.0 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.1 Activities and Social Life: 4.1 Accommodation: 3.3
- There are 8 reviews for this school
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ China, China, Female ]
4 of 5 people found the following review helpful.Everything is good, teachers,equipment and so on. But listening class is a little difficult.
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.