University at Albany (SUNY)
Intensive English Language Program (IELP) [Albany, New York]
- The IELP offers fast-track conditional admission in one semester or less with a 61 TOEFL or 5.5. IELTS.
- The IELP can customize programs for groups of students (English for Science and Technology, English for Leadership, Medicine, Business, Art).
- IELP language clubs and social and cultural activities immerse students into American culture, helping students use language, form friendships, and build community.
Choose Your Course Below
- About the ESL Program
- The Intensive English Language Program (IELP) at UAlbany has been offering specially designed intensive language instruction since 1978 to more than 10,000 international students from more than 115 countries. ESL classes are offered in 4- and 8-week sessions. Students can enroll in as many or as few sessions as they choose, depending on the level of English they want or need to achieve. Core classes of Reading/Writing and Listening/Speaking are offered at all seven levels. Full-time (F-1 Visa status) students take 2 core classes and 1 elective class for a minimum of 20 hours per week. Students must successfully pass the core classes and elective class to progress to the next level. Part-time students can choose to study 4–16 hours per week.
- Fast Facts
Affiliation : Public University
Establishment : 1844
Membership/Accreditation : UCIEP, EnglishUSA / MSCHE
Enrollment : 200
Average Class Size : 15
Airport Pickup : Arranged by Student
Tuition : Low
Community Type : Urban
Transportation : Bus, Train, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Welcome to the Intensive English Language Program at University at Albany, where excellence, at affordable prices, is our top priority! We offer 20 or more hours of English in the classroom and also an English Eco-System of social, cultural and language activities and clubs to help students use language, explore culture, belong to a thriving community, and build friendships.
The University at Albany is located at the crossroads of history, culture, business, arts, entertainment, sports, and world class cities like Boston, New York City, Montreal, Philadelphia, and close to natural wonders like Niagara Falls. In class and out, the Intensive English Language Program provides a bridge to academic success, future goals and opportunities, and cultural exploration. We are here to assist you on your way to fulfilling your dreams.
Mark D. Rentz
IELP Managing Director
University at Albany
State University of New York (SUNY)
- CONTACT INFORMATION
University at Albany (SUNY)
Intensive English Language Program
1400 Washington Avenue, Science Library G-40
Albany, New York 12222 U.S.A.TEL: +1 (518) 437-5040
FAX: +1 (518) 437-5040
- More Details
- The University at Albany (SUNY) and IELP provide students with the opportunity to live in on-campus dormitories or in off-campus residences, or to enjoy a homestay experience. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities and other students. For students who prefer a more independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the campus environment. The school also arranges homestays for those students who want to experience local culture first-hand as a member of a family and practice their conversational English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Private off-campus apartments are also available; however, students must make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The IELP is located in the heart of the university campus in Albany, the capital city of New York. The campus was designed by one of America’s most famous architects, Edward Durell Stone, and is filled with water fountains and a unique post-modernist style. A large pond on campus offers a natural habitat and walking trails. Albany is a diverse and vibrant city that embraces intellect and innovation. Its proximity to major international hubs, including New York City, Boston, and Montreal allows for convenient travel. Despite the location and many conveniences, the cost of living is well below that of major U.S. cities.
The State of New York is world-famous for culture, the arts, media, business, history, entertainment, fashion, international diplomacy, theater and world-class universities. New York is also the ideal location for Olympic skiing, beaches, lakes, mountains and rivers. Many landmarks are well-known, and New York hosts several of the world’s 10 most-visited attractions: Niagara Falls, Central Park, Times Square and Grand Central Station. Visiting the Statue of Liberty and Wall Street are other must-do experiences.
- About the College/University
- Located in New York’s capital city, the University at Albany is the premier public research University in the Capital Region and offers more than 17,000 students the expansive opportunities of a large university in an environment designed to foster individual success. You’ll choose from over 150 undergraduate programs and more than 125 graduate programs that prepare you to succeed in a wide range of fields. You’ll have access to internships and career preparation in Fortune 500 businesses and in every field, plus early assurance options with Albany Medical Center and a unique partnership with Albany Law School. Recent additions to academic offerings include some of the most in-demand programs today, such as computer engineering, homeland security, emergency preparedness, digital forensics, financial market regulation and public health. UAlbany is ranked among the top universities in Forbes’ “America’s Best Public Colleges,” and U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks many graduate programs among the top 50 in the United States, including clinical psychology, criminal justice, library and information studies, public affairs, public health, sociology and social work.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- International students who meet the academic requirements, but not the English proficiency requirement, can apply for Conditional Admission for undergraduate programs. Students who study in the Intensive English Language Program and complete the Advanced 2 Level are eligible for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver. Students who submit TOEFL scores of 61 or IELTS scores of 5.5 or above will be placed directly into the Advanced 1 Level and may spend only one semester studying English. The Advanced 1 and Advanced 2 Levels each take 8 weeks to complete. Students with a 32 TOEFL or 4.5 IELTS enter at one of the Intermediate Levels and may take only 1 year to complete their English studies.
Graduate programs each have their own unique requirements, so students should visit the UAlbany website to review the requirements for their programs. All students must provide official transcripts and financial information.
- Study Options
Intensive English Language Program (IELP) and University Degree Programs
- Classes are divided by skill (Reading/Writing, Listening/Speaking, and Electives), but students can expect to practice all 4 skills in every class. Students will read and write short essays, listen to both authentic and “leveled” English, and speak in pairs and small groups. They will focus on academic vocabulary, give presentations, and write research papers. In Elective Classes, students might role-play a business meeting, build model bridges to demonstrate engineering principles, or critique a classic American movie.
Outside of the classroom, the IELP offers a full schedule of social and cultural activities to help students learn and use language, meet new friends, explore new and exciting places, experience American culture, and become part of a community. Students take field trips to world-famous places such as New York City, Boston, Niagara Falls, and Philadelphia. Students also participate in Reading Theater, Conversation Club, and Conversation Partners to practice English and meet American students.
International students applying directly to a UAlbany undergraduate programs should have the recommended grade point average of 3.0 for freshmen and 2.5 for transfer students. To fulfill the English proficiency requirement, students should have a 70 iBT TOEFL, 6.0 IELTS, or PTE 50.
Graduate programs each have their own unique requirements, so students should visit the UAlbany website to review the requirements for their program.
CLASS SIZE: 15 Students CLASS LEVELS: 7 Levels (Pre-Intermediate and Above) COURSE LENGTH: 4, 8 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 15 Years Old REQUIREMENT: PRE-INTERMEDIATE ENGLISH LEVEL; GPA 3.0, TOEFL iBT 70, IELTS 6.0, PTE 50 VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Admission HOUSING: On-Campus Dormitories
4 WEEKS: 5/22 - 6/20 6/12 - 7/7 8/16 - 9/15 9/11 - 10/11 10/16 - 11/15 11/8 - 12/8 8 WEEKS: 5/22 - 7/7 8/16 - 10/11 10/16 - 12/8
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 130
- TUITION FEE (2023)
4 WEEKS US$ 1,695 8 WEEKS US$ 2,260
- US$ 125 (On-Campus Deposit); US$ 200 (Homestay)
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 4-8 WEEKS US$ 790 Per Month US$ 1,098 Per Month Price Varies
- Airport Pickup Service
- Student Arranged (Taxi, Bus or Car Service)
- Remarks / Other Information
- Dates and fees are approximate and may change without prior notice.
Application fee is non-refundable.
Housing fees do not include meals.
Note: ALL applicants should be prepared to provide the school a copy of their valid passport (photo page) and financial documents showing sufficient funds to pay for their course ($6,500 per session).
- United States Albany, New York
University at Albany (SUNY)
Intensive English Language Program
1400 Washington Avenue, Science Library G-40 Albany, New York 12222 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- From Albany International Airport:
It is the student's responsibility to arrange their own transportation from the airport to campus. Taxis are available at the airport. By car, you will arrive on campus in 10 minutes.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.