West Virginia University (WVU)
- The Intensive English Program at West Virginia University has helped international students learn English and get used to life in the United States for over 30 years
- Participants become part of a major university and the diverse IEP student body from which more than half move on to undergraduate and graduate programs
- IEP students enjoy life as residents of Morgantown, an exciting college town that also happens to be one of the most livable small cities in the country
- About the ESL Program
- Established in 1979, the Intensive English Program (IEP) in the Department of World Languages at West Virginia University is a well-established program for international students needing to improve their English proficiency prior to entering an academic course of study. At the IEP, study of a second language involves more than just classrooms, instructors, and books. Students in the program will be exposed to the study of culture, knowledge of societies, and participation in exciting activities both on campus and in nearby communities. The curriculum of the program includes both required language skill-based classes and elective classes. The language skill-based classes help students to improve their overall English. Classes offered include Grammar, Reading, Writing, Vocabulary, and Communication Skills. Elective classes which students may choose include Advanced Test Preparation, American Culture, Business English, Music, Poetry/Theater, and Creative Writing. Some elective course offerings are similar to university classes and encourage students to focus on both content knowledge and study skills, in addition to developing language. IEP students attend classes for a minimum of 21 hours per week. Sessions are offered four times a year, including fall and spring (16-week semesters) and two sessions in the summer, each 6 weeks long. During the fall and spring semesters, students follow the regular university calendar and have 50 minute classes Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and 75 minute classes on Tuesday and Thursdays. The program has a wide variety of students with different goals. One third of IEP students become undergraduate students, one third enter graduate programs and the remaining third are students who improve their English for personal and professional reasons. IEP students are treated as regular students with all university benefits including the ability to attend sporting events, workout and swim at the Recreation Center and enjoy movies, theater productions and concerts. West Virginia University’s Intensive English Program is a proud member of UCIEP (University and College Intensive English Programs), an independent consortium of university and college-administered intensive English Programs in the United States, and EnglishUSA (the American Association of Intensive English Programs) which promote professional standards and quality instruction in intensive English programs.
- Fast Facts
Affiliation : Public University
Establishment : 1979
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA, UCIEP
Enrollment : 275
Average Class Size : 22
Airport Pickup : Student Arranged
Tuition : Medium
Community Type : Urban
Transportation : Bus, Taxi, Train
- A Message from School
- Established in 1979 and accredited with EnglishUSA (American Association of Intensive English Programs) and UCIEP (Consortium of University and College Intensive English Programs), the Intensive English Program in the Department of World Languages at West Virginia University has become a well-established program for international students needing to improve their English proficiency prior to entering an academic course of study. Students of the IEP are given help for all aspects of their lives in Morgantown, West Virginia. We look forward to receiving your application from ApplyESL.com!
West Virginia University
Intensive English Program (IEP)
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- The school provides students with the opportunity to live in off-campus residences or enjoy a homestay experience. For students who prefer an independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the school environment. The school also arranges homestays for those students who want to experience local culture first-hand as a member of a family and practice their conversational English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Private off-campus apartments are also available; however students must make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- West Virginia University is located in Morgantown, West Virginia. Morgantown is located south of both Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and the capital of the United States, Washington, D.C. Close to the center of town, the university is conveniently located for students amongst the Appalachin Mountains with beautiful trees and a rich, natural environment. Morgantown has a population of 50,000 people and is an easy place to live in with its affordable cost of living which international students will appreciate. Compared with other comparable universities with high academic standards, West Virginia University's reasonable tuition rates make it an overall excellent environment for students to succeed in.
- About the College/University
- West Virginia University is a public university founded in 1867. WVU’s proud tradition of academic excellence attracts some of the country’s best and brightest students. The WVU system has an overall enrollment of over 32,000 students. The school is located in Morgantown, West Virginia, ranked one of the best college towns in America and students are within easy traveling distance of Washington, D.C., to the east, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to the north and Cleveland and Columbia, Ohio, to the northwest. WVU includes 15 colleges and schools which offer 191 bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral and professional degree programs. The student body is made up of students from every state in the USA and 113 different countries from around the world. West Virginia University ranks nationally for prestigious scholarships and is home to one of the nation’s most well-known athletic programs.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- No conditional admission to the university is available.
- Study Options
Intensive English Program
- The Intensive English Program (IEP) at West Virginia University is one of the most well-established programs in the United States for international students who need to improve their English proficiency prior to entering an academic course of study. The goals of the IEP curriculum are to provide instruction and training in the English language and to familiarize international students with the educational methods of higher education institutions in the United States. In addition to outstanding English language instruction, the staff provides students with assistance to manage all aspects of their lives in Morgantown, West Virginia. IEP students have access to most university facilities and entertainment. Courses are offered four times a year with sessions starting in spring, summer and fall. Sessions in both the spring and fall are 16 weeks long and there are two summer sessions each running 6 weeks. Students in the Intensive English Program attend classes for a minimum of 21 hours per week
The courses offered within the IEP are composed of both required courses and elective courses. All students take courses which teach reading, vocabulary, writing/study skills, grammar, American culture and communication skills. In the writing/study skills course, students will practice general writing skills as well as specific writing skills needed for academic work, such as academic research, class discussion participation and presentations. Advanced students learn how to use the university library for research and how to write a research paper. The American Culture course investigates targeted areas of American culture by analyzing customs and values through readings, video, discussion, surveys, interviews, guest speakers and field trips. All students are encouraged to communicate with native speakers about topics which are relevant to their own lives and careers. IEP students are also given the chance to choose elective courses such as TOEFL Preparation, Business English and American Culture. The TOEFL Preparation elective focuses on strategies, skills, and practice which students need to increase their TOEFL scores and the Business English elective course offers practice in English for business and professional situations. Outside of class, IEP students are treated as regular students with all university benefits. Students can attend sporting events such as basketball, baseball and football games. Morgantown provides a schedule of things to do for students year-round. With concerts, theatrical performances, film festivals and outdoor activities, WVU is a great place for international students to live and learn.
CLASS SIZE: 11 - 25 Students CLASS LEVELS: 4 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 6, 16 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 Years Old REQUIREMENT: High School Diploma VISA INFORMATION: F-1 Student Visa Required (I-20 Form Issued Upon Request) HOUSING: Homestay
16 WEEKS: 5/16 - 8/5 5/17 - 8/13 8/18 - 12/18
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 75
- TUITION FEE (2021)
6 WEEKS US$ 2,080 16 WEEKS US$ 6,144
- US$ 250 (Homestay ONLY)
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 6, 16 WEEKS US$ 700 Per Month N/A US$ 350 - 700 Per Month
- Airport Pickup Service
- Student Arranged
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Morgantown, West Virginia
West Virginia University
English Language Learning Institute
Eiesland Hall, P.O. Box 6297 Morgantown, West Virginia 26506 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.