- Qualified students who complete the advanced level may apply for undergraduate admission to Towson University without the TOEFL
- Study at an institution ranked 7th among the 65 regional public institutions in the Northern U.S.
- Live in a peaceful community with easy access to the nearby cities of Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and New York
- About the ESL Program
- Since 1985, the English Language Center (ELC) has provided superior English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction to more than 2,500 students from over 70 different countries. ELC students develop the English skills and cross-cultural awareness essential to enter and succeed at American colleges or universities, to excel in their professional careers, or for personal enrichment. The ELC curriculum incorporates classroom instruction and elective courses with language resource laboratory work, as well as social events to introduce students to life on an American campus and to the Baltimore area. ELC students gain full access to the University’s campus facilities including tennis courts, a junior Olympic-sized swimming pool, the library, and a recently upgraded gym complete with a climbing wall. The ELC is a proud member of EnglishUSA, the American Association of Intensive English Programs promoting professional standards and high-quality English programs.
- Fast Facts
Affiliation : Public
Establishment : 1985
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA/ CEA
Enrollment : 60
Average Class Size : 12
Airport Pickup : No
Tuition : Medium
Community Type : Suburban
Transportation : Bus, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Welcome to Maryland!
We are delighted that you are interested in the English Language Center at Towson University! Check out our many wonderful features on ApplyESL.com and discover why you should come to Maryland and join the ELC. We offer a comprehensive English language program that will strengthen your language skills, develop your cross cultural awareness, and enrich your personal growth and development. Located in the center of the beautiful, safe TU campus, the ELC gives you many opportunities to become part of the university community. You will meet people from all over the world as you study, participate in cultural and social events, and use campus recreational facilities, such as our new rock climbing wall. English Language Center faculty are language teaching experts dedicated to giving you the best English language instruction possible through classes and out-of-class activities. There is much to experience outside the ELC classroom, too! While studying at the ELC, you can explore the nearby cities of Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and New York, visit Maryland's famous Eastern Shore, or participate in the many recreational and cultural events available at Towson University. In 2015, we will be commemorating the ELC’s 30th anniversary on the Towson campus, so come help us celebrate!
Director, Towson University
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Students are responsible for locating their individual off-campus housing. The ELC will provide students with information about available off-campus housing options from the Department of Housing & Residence Life. For students who prefer an independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the campus environment. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available.
- Surrounding Area
- The Towson University campus is located in the safe and attractive suburban community of Towson in Baltimore County, Maryland. The campus is an easy 10 minutes from the region’s largest upscale shopping mall, the Towson Town Center, and within comfortable walking distance of lively American and ethnic restaurants, bookstores, movie theaters, and the public library. The Towson community is ideally situated just 20 minutes north of downtown Baltimore, the 12th largest city in the United States that is commonly called “Charm City.” As a city of diverse neighborhoods, Baltimore offers a dynamic combination of people, events, and activities. Visitors and locals alike enjoy visiting Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, home to the celebrated Maryland Science Center and the IMAX movie theaters, ESPN Zone, Hard Rock Café, the National Aquarium, and Camden Yards, the Orioles classic baseball stadium. Music enthusiasts have endless opportunities to experience the city’s jazz clubs, take in an outdoor summer concert at the Pier Six Concert Pavilion, enjoy the symphony at the Meyerhoff, or listen to opera at the Lyric Opera House. Baltimore’s diverse communities offer food enthusiasts a wide selection of vibrant restaurants to sample from Thai, Korean, or Chinese feasts to Afghani, Ethiopian, or Indian cuisine. Baltimore is centrally located in the mid-Atlantic region of the U.S., an area convenient to the calming Atlantic Ocean beaches, the magical Appalachian Mountains, and the exciting, cosmopolitan cities of Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and New York.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1866, Towson University (TU) is a regional comprehensive institution that is nationally recognized for its programs in the arts and sciences, communications, health professions, business, education, and the fine arts. As the second largest university in Maryland and a member of the University System of Maryland, TU’s scenic 328-acre campus is home to more than 16,000 students, including over 800 students from nearly 100 nations. Comprised of 8 different colleges, the University offers students bachelor’s degrees in 57 areas of specialization, master’s degrees in 29 areas, and applied doctoral programs in 2 areas. Recently, the U.S. News & World Report ranked Towson University 7th among the 65 regional public institutions in the North; based on academic reputation alone, TU ranked second. Outside of the classroom, TU students are actively involved in campus life and its many academic, social, cultural, and athletic opportunities. More than 100 student clubs and campus organizations, including sororities, fraternities, social and professional clubs, are available to students. As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), the TU Tigers’ 11 men’s and 12 women’s sports teams are avidly supported by the campus community. TU students enjoy using state-of-the-art athletic facilities including a swimming pool, 3 gymnasiums, weight-training rooms, a sand volleyball court, tennis and squash courts, and a fitness center.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students (Undergraduate programs and some graduate programs). TOEFL required for graduate programs.
- Study Options
Intensive Academic English Program
- Intensive Academic English Program offers 3 programs of instruction each year: two 15-week sessions during the fall and spring, and one 10-week session during the summer season. Students enrolled in the Program receive 18 hours of in-class instruction per week, in addition to computer laboratory instruction.
The Program offers 6 levels of English classes, from basic to advanced. During Orientation, students are required to take English placement tests to help determine the level best-suited to their ability. The curriculum is designed to develop students’ skills in the areas of reading, writing, listening, speaking, and grammar. In addition to attending these skill development classes, students also take an elective course to focus on a specific aspect of language learning or on an area of particular interest. Some of the elective courses offered are: Online Newsletter - students assemble an online newsletter through writing, digital photography, interviewing, and using the Internet; American Travel Adventure - students plan their next vacation in the U.S. by reading brochures, watching travel videos, learn travel-related vocabulary, and write about popular American vacation spots; Culture Through the Media - students learn about American culture through film, television programs, newspapers and magazines; Vocabulary through Film - students learn idioms and real life language by watching and discussing popular films; Pronunciation through Music - students practice the pronunciation and rhythm of English with the help of popular music. A TOEFL preparation class is also offered every session. Students can enroll in the class and take an Institutional TOEFL test at the end of the session; the cost of the test is included in the course tuition fee. Students who complete the advanced level and satisfy all Towson University admission requirements may enroll for undergraduate admission at the University without taking the TOEFL.
Outside of the classroom, the students are given the opportunity to be matched with American students and members of the community to practice their English conversational skills. The Conversation Partners Program encourages the students to make new friends and to develop a richer understanding of American culture.
Small, interactive classes are emphasized. Class sizes range from 12 to 15 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
CLASS SIZE: 12-15 Students CLASS LEVELS: 6 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 10,15 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 Years Old REQUIREMENT: High School Diploma VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon request HOUSING: Off-Campus Residence
10 WEEKS: 8/23 - 12/7
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 50
- TUITION FEE (2020-2021)
15 WEEKS US $4,400
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 4 WEEKS N/A N/A US $780 - $2,743
- Airport Pickup Service
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Towson, Maryland
English Language Center
8000 York Road Towson, MD 21252 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 4.3 School Environment: 3.7 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.3 Activities and Social Life: 3.3 Accommodation: 4.0
- There are 3 reviews for this school
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
A Former Student
[ Buridah, Saudi Arabia, Age 25, Female ]
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.