University of Tennessee at Knoxville
- Institutional TOEFL given to students in all levels each term
- ELI students get full access to all University facilities and more than 300 campus organizations
- Enjoy living in Knoxville, a friendly, dynamic city near the majestic Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- About the ESL Program
- Established in 1978, the English Language Institute (ELI) gives non-native English speakers the academic abilities, language and study skills, and cultural understanding essential for academic, professional or personal success. Each session (or term), students from around the world come to the ELI to receive outstanding English language instruction and individual attention from ELI instructors. The ELI curriculum focuses on improving students’ listening, grammar, reading, writing and communication skills, and offers special instruction in TOEFL preparation for students wanting study at undergraduate and graduate levels. ELI students can enjoy using the sports facilities, campus libraries, student health center and computer labs with Internet access. They can meet with Americans and other international students at the University’s International House to practice their English and make new friends. ELI is a proud member of EnglishUSA and UCIEP, organizations promoting professional standards and high-quality English programs.
- Fast Facts
Affiliation : Public University Intensive English program
Establishment : 1978
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA
Enrollment : 50
Average Class Size : 8
Airport Pickup : Yes
Tuition : Low
Community Type : Urban
Transportation : Bus,Taxi
- A Message from School
- Welcome to the ELI profile on ApplyESL.com. We are happy that you are interested in learning more about English study at the English Language Institute (ELI) at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. For more than 40 years, thousands of students and professionals have successfully achieved their English goals at ELI. We hope that you will join us so that you too can improve your English skills. The faculty and staff at ELI believe that you can best learn English in an environment that encourages friendship, creativity, and personal growth. That is why we all work hard to make ELI your “home away from home.” ELI students come from all over the world, and although each student has unique goals and ambitions, all ELI students soon learn that our faculty and staff are friendly, supportive, and interested in you! On behalf of everyone at ELI, we look forward to having you study with us.
Em Turner Chitty
Interim Director, English Language Institute
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- While attending the ELI, students have the opportunity to live in on-campus university dormitories. Students living on-campus are close to classes, campus activities, and other students – both American and international. University Married Student Housing is usually available to ELI students who bring their families to the United States. Students are encouraged to apply for housing as soon as possible due to the limited amount of space available. The ELI may introduce private off-campus apartments, however it is the students’ responsibility to make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The University of Tennessee is located in Knoxville, the third-largest city in Tennessee home to 300,000 residents. Knoxville lies near the Great Smoky Mountains. Often ranked among the United States’ top 10 cities in surveys for quality of life, the Knoxville area has many entertainment and cultural events, as well as numerous museums and theaters. Knoxville residents love football and basketball games, and fans gather in the second-largest stadium to watch the University play some of the best athletic teams in the nation. For people who want to get away from the city, the beautiful Great Smoky Mountains National Park is located only an hour’s drive from downtown Knoxville. On the border between North Carolina and Tennessee, this National Park is one of the largest protected areas in the Eastern United States and attracts more than 9 million visitors each year. The Smokies are a nature lover’s paradise, offering outdoor activities including camping, hiking more than 800 miles of trails, biking, bird-watching, fishing, horseback riding, and an endless diversity of plant and animal life. The major cities of Nashville, Atlanta, and Charlotte are all within a day’s drive of Knoxville.
- About the College/University
- The University of Tennessee (UTK) was founded in 1794 and is the oldest and largest public institution of higher learning in the state of Tennessee. The University consists of the Knoxville campus, the Health Science Center at Memphis, the Space Institute at Tullahoma, and the institutes of agriculture and public service. UTK’s 550-acre campus is home to more than 27,000 undergraduate and graduate students, including 1,000 international students from over 100 different countries, and over 1,200 full-time faculty members. The University offers more than 260 degree programs, including bachelor’s degrees in 105 areas of specialization, master’s in 94 areas, and doctoral degrees in more than 65. The University comprises 21 schools and colleges – Engineering and Business are particularly strong, and the Supply Chain Management program is currently ranked 5th in the US; the MBA program has been identified as among the world’s best by the Financial Times, a leading international business publication. The nickname for UTK sports teams is the “Vols,” or Volunteers. The Lady Vols basketball team is third-ranked in the Southeast Conference. When sports seasons arrive, students and fans wear the school colors, orange and white. UTK has more than 300 clubs and organizations, including 8 men and 11 women varsity teams, a student-run newspaper, the Canoe and Hiking Club, social and volunteer groups, and theater and dance troupes.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- If you wish to study as an undergraduate at UTK and are admitted, but your English is not yet strong, you will be required to improve your English before attending the university and can do so at the English Language Institute. Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students (undergraduate programs only).
- Study Options
Intensive English Program
- The Intensive English Program offers five 8-week sessions throughout the academic year. Students enrolled in the Program receive 22 hours of in-class instruction each week.
The Program offers 6 levels of English classes, from low beginning to high advanced. At the beginning of the session, students take a placement test and receive instructor evaluations to help determine the level best suited to their ability. All ELI students are awarded a certificate of completion at the end of each term. The faculty also presents special certificates and awards to students selected for outstanding academic and cultural contributions to the ELI.
Students in all levels of instruction attend four classes daily, Monday to Friday, to study the areas of: English Structure (Grammar), Writing/Composition (Rhetoric), Reading and Vocabulary, and Listening and Conversation. Students additionally select elective courses to study topics such as photography, Internet English, American movies, music, and art. Available electives vary from session to session. TOEFL preparation classes are also offered to assist ELI students in pronunciation, test-taking strategies, cultural orientation to the United States, and university-level study skills. To enhance their English studies, students are encouraged to use the computer-assisted language learning laboratory and its multimedia software for English language study and practice. Students can also use the laboratory for word-processing, individual use, or to explore the Internet.
Outside the classroom, the University’s International House serves as a meeting place for all UTK students to enhance international and intercultural communication. ELI students enjoy the International House’s comfortable lounges and recreational areas in order to practice their English and to make new friends.
The average class size at ELI is 8 students with a maximum of 15. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
CLASS SIZE: 8-15 students CLASS LEVELS: 6 levels COURSE LENGTH: 8, 16, 24, 32 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 16 years old REQUIREMENT: N/A VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon request for F1 or F2 visa HOUSING: Dormitory/On-Campus Apartment/Off-Campus Apartment
8 WEEKS: 6/7 - 7/30 8/16 - 10/8 10/18 - 12/10 8 WEEKS: 1/18 - 3/12 3/18 - 5/13
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 50
- TUITION FEE (2021-2022)
8 WEEKS US$ 3,080 16 WEEKS US$ 5,160
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 16 WEEKS N/A US$ 3,500 US$ 7,200
- Airport Pickup Service
- Health Insurance
- US $552 (8w)
- Activities Fee
- US $519 (16w)
- US $200 (8w); US $400 (16w)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Knoxville, Tennessee
English Language Institute (ELI)
UT Conference Center
600 Henley St., Suite 120 Knoxville, TN 37902 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 4.0 School Environment: 4.2 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.2 Activities and Social Life: 3.6 Accommodation: 3.4
- There are 17 reviews for this school
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
Jai Sang Koh
[ Seoul, Korea, Age 51, Male ]
1 of 3 people found the following review helpful.CurriculumI think it was a great chance for my daughter to study in the USA. She was encouraged speaking English with the friends she made from around the world. She said that her course was focused on grammar and it was important for her to learn that better. Also, she was able to practice talking freely in English like a child according to various situations which she encountered in America. From her course, I can see the value of studying speaking skills while abroad.
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.