Ohio Program of Intensive English [Athens, Ohio]
- Join the Conversation Partners Program - practice English with American university students in an informal setting
- Relax on the "College Green," graced with traditional architecture, brick walkways and trees, in between classes.
- Enjoy Athens' idyllic college-town atmosphere, and the surrounding 5 state parks and the Wayne National Forest
Choose Your Course Below
- About the ESL Program
- Founded in 1967, the Ohio Program of Intensive English (OPIE) was established to provide students with outstanding English language instruction and orientation to life in the United States. The OPIE curriculum is designed to develop students' academic and language skills in order to succeed at an American university. OPIE students use state-of-the-art computer, reading and language laboratories to further improve their English skills in addition to their challenging classroom instruction. Outside of the classroom, students can join the Conversation Partners Program and practice their English with American students in an informal setting. Students gain full access to Ohio University's facilities and can enjoy using the sports facilities, libraries, health services and attend campus events. The OPIE is a proud member of UCIEP, a U.S. consortium of University and College Intensive English Programs known for its high professional standards and quality English language instruction.
- Fast Facts
Affiliation : Public University
Establishment : 1967
Membership/Accreditation : UCIEP, EnglishUSA
Enrollment : 110 - 125
Average Class Size : 11
Airport Pickup : Available from School
Tuition : Medium
Community Type : Rural
Transportation : Bus
- A Message from School
- Greetings from Ohio!
Welcome to the Ohio University Intensive English Program on ApplyESL.com. For over 35 years, we have been providing students with English Language and Academic Skills preparation for academic study or general fluency. Our small community of Athens, Ohio, located in the midst of a national forest preserve in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, has welcomed students from around the world for over one hundred years.
Admission to our program gives you full access to all university facilities and our placement in the College of Arts and Sciences allows us to provide a smooth transition into academic coursework. Our offices, classrooms, and language labs are all centrally located in a newly renovated facility shared with Modern Languages and Linguistics. Our faculty are experienced and frequent contributors to national and international conferences. The university itself provides vast options of undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs once you complete your language study. Most importantly, we provide excellent instruction, an opportunity to live in the dorms with native English speakers, activities to ease your transition into the university culture, and one of the most beautiful large university campuses around. Trees, gardens, hills, lakes, and a river are all set far enough from large cities to allow a peaceful place to work, study and play. We'd love to see you here because we know you'll want to stay.
Director, Ohio Program of Intensive English
- CONTACT INFORMATION
Ohio Program of Intensive English
155 Gordy Hall
Athens, Ohio 45701 U.S.A.TEL: +1 740-593-4575
FAX: +1 740-593-4577
- More Details
- While attending the OPIE, most students are required to live on-campus in university dormitories where they can interact with native English speakers. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities and other students – both American and international. Special university housing is available for both married and graduate students. Students are encouraged to arrange housing as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. The OPIE may introduce private off-campus apartments, however it is the students' responsibility to make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- Ohio University is nestled in the peaceful, scenic and safe town of Athens, Ohio. Situated on a winding river among the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, Athens' beautiful walkways lead to picturesque and historic sites, creating an idyllic college-town setting. Although small in size, Athens provides a wide array of cultural and social opportunities in addition to two shopping malls. Outdoor enthusiasts enjoy Athens' ideal location, living in the heart of Ohio's Hocking Hills region and surrounded by five state parks, and the Wayne National Forest. Athens is located 120 kilometers from Columbus, Ohio's capital city, and is nearby the major cosmopolitan cities of Cincinnati, Cleveland and Pittsburgh. For students who enjoy an adventure, the cities of New York, Chicago and Washington, D.C. are within a days' drive of Athens.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1804, Ohio University is one of the nation's oldest institutions of higher learning. The University ranks consistently for academic quality and value by such publications as Princeton Review's Best Colleges and Peterson's Guide to Competitive Colleges. The U.S. News and World Report ranked Ohio University as one of the top public American universities. The beautiful, tree-lined 1,700-acred campus is home to more than 16,000 undergraduate students, including 1,120 students from other countries, and 846 full-time faculty members. The University consists of 9 undergraduate colleges and offers its undergraduate students bachelor's degrees in over 250 areas of specialization. Outside of the classroom, students are actively involved in over 350 student-run organizations, intramural sports teams, theater groups, music bands or Outdoor Pursuits, a program consisting of outdoor adventures and sports activities. Students can also enjoy using one of the largest recreational facilities in the country, including 5 basketball courts, an indoor track, weight and fitness rooms, and a climbing wall. Other facilities include a nine-hole golf course, an aquatic center and a 20,000-seat football stadium.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students who complete the ESL program (Undergraduate programs only).
- Study Options
Full-Time Intensive English Program
- The Ohio Program of Intensive English (OPIE) academic year is devided into 3 semesters: Fall, Spring, Summer. Each semester is 15 weeks long. Students receive 20 hours of classroom instruction per week in addition to meetings with conversation partners, one-on-one tutoring in OPIE's pronunciation and writing labs, and extra-curricular activities on campus and in the community.
OPIE offers 5 levels of English study: Full-time Elementary, Full-time Intermediate, Full-time Advanced, Part-time Bridge (12 hours English + 6 academic credits) and Part-time Bridge (8 hours English + 9 academic credits). In the Bridge Program, students can take a combination of English and academic classes depending on their English proficiency.
Upon arrival, all students take a placement test during the orientation program before the start of classes to help determine the level best-suited to their ability. Students are evaluated by their instructors at the end of each 15-week session to determine their progress.
Students in all levels of Full-time English study develop their Listening, Speaking, Grammar, Reading and Vocabulary and Writing skills by attending core classes. Part-time Bridge Program students attend classes designed to prepare them for regular academic work, emphasizing reading, writing, composition, academic listening and speaking, note-taking and oral presentation skills. In addition to the regular curriculum, Bridge Program students can take academic classes.
The Conversation Partners Program gives OPIE students the opportunity to meet with American students attending Ohio University to practice their English conversational skills and to develop a richer understanding of American culture. These conversation partners meet in an informal setting at least one hour per week to talk with one another and participate in social activities together.
Small, interactive classes are emphasized to ensure full student participation. Class sizes range from 10 to 12 students with an average of 11 students per class.
CLASS SIZE: 10 - 12 students CLASS LEVELS: 5 levels COURSE LENGTH: 15 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 years old REQUIREMENT: N/A VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon request HOUSING: Dormitory or On-Campus Apartment
4 WEEKS: 5/22 - 6/16 6/19 - 7/14 9/11 - 10/6 10/9 - 11/3 15 WEEKS: 8/21 - 12/9Apply by 6/2
- APPLICATION FEE
- US $45
- TUITION FEE (2023)
15 WEEKS US $6,627 4 WEEKS US $1,767
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 15 WEEKS N/A US $5,684 N/A 4 WEEKS N/A US $1,515 N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- US $70
- Health Insurance
- US $1,410 (15w); $235 (4w)
- University Fees
- US $718 (15w); $192 (4w)
- Orientation Fee
- US $150 (15w); $40 (4w)
- Remarks / Other Information
- Dates and Fees are approximate and may change without prior notice.
Application Fee is non-refundable.
Housing Fee includes meals.
- United States Athens, Ohio
Ohio Program of Intensive English
155 Gordy Hall Athens, Ohio 45701 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- From Columbus International Airport:
School provides airport pick-up service for US$60 that brings students directly to campus. It takes approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes. Taxis are available at the airport. It will cost approximately US$120 and will arrive on campus in 1 hour and 40 minutes. The campus is also accessible by buses that run on a limited schedule.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.