University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Conditional acceptance and university classes available for academically-qualified students
- "The international gateway to the south", Charlotte is a large metropolitan city offering a fantastic quality of life and a convenient location for other U.S. travel experiences
- TOEFL and IELTS waiver for undergraduate admission at UNC Charlotte for students who successfully complete Level 5
- About the ESL Program
- Established in 1978, the English Language Training Institute (ELTI) provides intensive English instruction for international students planning to attend an American college or university as well as for those pursuing professional English training in the United States. While receiving quality English language instruction in a safe, friendly, academic environment, ELTI students enjoy full integration into the university student body and gain access to the facilities and services of the UNC Charlotte campus including a world-class library, extensive computer labs, comprehensive student health center, and sport and fitness facilities. While attending the ELTI, students develop a close connection with UNC Charlotte, the surrounding community, and the American lifestyle. ELTI is a proud member of UCIEP (University and College Intensive English Programs), an independent consortium of university and college-administered intensive English Programs in the United States and EnglishUSA, which promotes professional standards and quality instruction in intensive English programs. Additionally, the ELTI is a CEA accredited program.
- Fast Facts
Affiliation : Public University
Establishment : 1978
Membership/Accreditation : UCIEP, EnglishUSA, CEA
Enrollment : 200
Average Class Size : 12
Airport Pickup : N/A
Tuition : Low
Community Type : Suburban
Transportation : Bus, light rail (train)
- A Message from School
- We are excited that you are exploring the opportunity to study at the English Language Training Institute (ELTI). ELTI, established in 1978, is the oldest and largest language program in North Carolina and is centrally located on the UNC-Charlotte campus. Our program offers outstanding English language instruction from experienced, caring teachers. Additionally, our friendly and knowledgeable staff will help you feel at home during your studies with us. All ELTI students enjoy the benefits of the campus facilities, such as fitness facilities, a swimming pool, and numerous student clubs and events. Charlotte is a lovely, rapidly growing city located approximately halfway between the Appalachian Mountains and the Atlantic Ocean., The weather is mild, so we enjoy a variety of outdoor activities throughout the year. The ELTI staff and faculty are passionate about our work with international students, and we would love to have you join us to improve your English language proficiency.
Director, English Language Training Institute (ELTI)
University of North Carolina-Charlotte (UNCC)
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- ELTI can assist students in arranging on-campus housing in University residence halls. Alternately, a variety of off-campus options are also available. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities, and other students -- both American and international. For those who choose to live off campus, several apartment complexes located near the University are within walking distance or on public bus or train routes. For more information, please contact the Housing and Residence Life Office or e-mail ELTI at (email@example.com).
- Surrounding Area
- Home to more than 1 million residents, Charlotte, is locally known as “the Queen City,” and offers countless cultural, entertainment, and educational attractions, from the fine artwork of the Levine Center for the Arts to theme parks such as Carowinds and hands-on science museums such as the Discovery Place. Charlotte has long been known as a major banking and financial services hub and as one of the fastest growing major cities in the U.S. Charlotte is also ranked as one of the most livable cities in the United States. Sports fans cheer for Charlotte’s winning professional sports teams: the Carolina Panthers (American football), the Charlotte Hornets (NBA basketball), while others tee off at any one of 80 golf courses in the area. Each year, more than one million visitors flock to Charlotte to experience NASCAR (professional car racing). Charlotte residents enjoy a mild climate and experience 4 seasons, with summer highs reaching in the 80s and winter highs averaging in the 50s. Charlotte residents enjoy an average of 233 days of sunshine each year, and many of ELTI students enjoy seeing snow for the first time while studying with ELTI. With mild weather year-round, ELTI students can choose to explore the majestic Blue Ridge Mountains to the west or the Atlantic Ocean and its beaches to the east – both are only short distances from the city. Charlotte is ideally situated about midway between Atlanta, Georgia, and Richmond, Virginia, making it within a day's drive to popular destinations cities such as the capital of the United States, Washington, D.C. and also the home of Disneyland, in Orlando, Florida.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1946, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNCC) is a comprehensive state university with over 30,000 students and is situated on a 3.84 square km campus just inside the city limits of Charlotte. The natural beauty of rolling hills, forests, and small lakes combined with the modern facilities and easy access to downtown Charlotte via the light-rail produce a comfortable, stimulating learning environment. University Research Park and several shopping centers are located near the UNC Charlotte campus. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, UNC Charlotte is also a member of the North Carolina Association of Colleges and Universities. The University offers over 90 fields of undergraduate academic instruction, as well as more than 60 graduate-level programs and 18 doctoral programs, in eight colleges: Arts and Sciences, Architecture, Business Administration, Education, Engineering, Information Technology, Nursing and Health Professions, and the Graduate School. Professional programs in all colleges are nationally accredited. International students at UNC Charlotte number at about 1,800 and represent over 90 nations from around the world. Several international student organizations and the International Club help students feel at home.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students (Undergraduate programs only). After one semester at the ELTI, advanced-level students may attend courses at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte while completing English studies and earn credit towards a degree at UNC Charlotte or for transfer credit.
- Study Options
Intensive English Program
- The Intensive English Program offers two 15-week sessions during the fall and spring and one 10-week session during the summer. Students enrolled in the fall and spring sessions receive 20 hours of classroom instruction each week; students enrolled in the summer session receive 24 hours of in-class instruction per week.
The program offers 5 levels of instruction, from beginning to advanced. Students are placed in one of the five proficiency levels based on a written and oral examination taken during orientation.
While the overarching goal is to prepare students to succeed in university study, the lower levels focus on fundamentals of communication and adapting to American culture. More advanced students focus on academic reading and notetaking, professional and academic research, and public speaking skills. At all levels, students use current texts and materials. Students are encouraged to use the University’s many academic facilities, such as the University Writing Center, and the Language Resource Center to complement their classroom studies. Qualified students, with the recommendation of the ELTI faculty, may take University courses for credit in addition to their English courses.
Class sizes generally range from 10 to 14 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
CLASS SIZE: 10 - 14 students CLASS LEVELS: 5 levels COURSE LENGTH: 10, 15 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 Years Old REQUIREMENT: High School Diploma or Equivalent VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon request HOUSING: Dormitory/On-Campus Apartment
15 WEEKS: 8/25 - 12/8 15 WEEKS: 1/12 - 5/4
- APPLICATION FEE
- US $60
- TUITION FEE (2020)
10 WEEKS US $4,475 15 WEEKS US $4,475
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 10 WEEKS N/A US $3,800 - 5,000 US $3,800 - 6,000 15 WEEKS N/A US $3,800 - 5,000 US $4,000 - 6,000
- Airport Pickup Service
- University Fees**
- US $1,300- $1,700
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Charlotte, North Carolina
English Language Training Institute
Office of International Programs
University of North Carolina, Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd. CHHS Building Room 267 Charlotte, North Carolina 28223 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 4.0 School Environment: 4.5 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.5 Activities and Social Life: 3.7 Accommodation: 4.0
- There are 15 reviews for this school
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ Seoul, South Korea, Age 20, Female ]
33 of 42 people found the following review helpful.A Nice Place to Study!It's a really nice place to study. The weather was good, the housing was good and fewer students from Asia than I expected. I also wanted to find a school that was somewhat urban and somewhat rural. It was a perfect place for me. It is difficult however to get around without a car. It takes about 30 min to go to supermarket by bus. You can have meals on campus, but there aren't many restaurants or stores around campus. However, it's a really good place to study. The people and the weather are perfect. I was living on-campus, and I prefer living on-campus. It's much cheaper to live off-campus, but it's easier to experience campus life on-campus.
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ Seoul, Korea ]
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.