Southbourne School of English
- A relaxed, warm, and friendly learning atmosphere with plentiful modern facilities.
- The approach to teaching and learning a language is essentially learner-centred and communicative, focusing on students’ needs and interests.
- Excitement and entertainment in Bournemouth - one of England’s top resort towns.
- About the School
- Founded in 1966, Southbourne School of English is an independent and privately-owned English language school in Bournemouth, a seaside resort town in the south coast of England. The school is open year-round and provides excellent language learning instruction to non-native English speakers to help them quickly reach their academic goals. Operating under the experienced guidance, the school has specialized in teaching English to foreign students, professionals and visitors from all around the world and continues to significantly improve their English skills and prepare them for success, whether at an academic institution, in a professional setting or for personal satisfaction.
At school, students study in complete, comprehensive programs to improve their English language skills in all areas through practical communication and effective skills-building exercises. The school offers a positive learning environment equipped with modern facilities that support students in their studies. To further add to students’ academic and cultural experience, the school organizes a wide range of field trips or activities for students to practice their newly-acquired English skills in a natural setting while experiencing British culture first-hand. The school will give you a complete language learning experience including first-class teaching, excellent accommodation, enjoyable social activities and full support and advice.
Situated in the middle of a nice English suburb, and only a ten-minute walk from the sea, the school is surrounded by lovely countryside and provides a friendly and comfortable atmosphere where students can enjoy their studies.
The school is accredited by the British Council and is member of English UK, the national association of accredited English language centres.
Type : Private English School
Establishment : 1966
Membership/Accreditation : British Council, English UK
Enrollment : 100
Average Class Size : 12
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available from School
Internet Access : Free Wi-Fi and Internet
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Suburban
Transportation : Train, Bus, Taxi
- A Message from School
- We believe that each student has to feel happy and contented to be able to study and learn. Teachers and host families are carefully selected with this in mind and to help create an atmosphere of warmth and friendliness. We also believe that studying with students of other nationalities, backgrounds and cultures can lead to understanding and friendship. Whatever your reason for studying – career, travel, interest or pleasure – then Southbourne School of English is for you. We look forward to receiving your application from ApplyESL.com!
Southbourne School of English
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- The school has hosted thousands of students from around the world. The majority of students have come to the school from Europe, including France (10%), Switzerland (10%), Spain (10%) and Germany (5%). Students also come from Asia; Taiwan (15%), Korea (10%), Japan (5%) and China. Others include students from countries in Latin America (10%) and Middle East (5%).
- Faculty Qualifications
- The instructors are trained, fully-certified professionals. Many instructors have lived and traveled abroad and have extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of the instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- The school provides students with the opportunity to enjoy a homestay experience. The homestay option is ideal for those students who want to experience local culture first-hand as a member of a family and practice their conversational English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Private off-campus apartments are also available; however students must make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- Located between the towns of Christchurch and Bournemouth, the school is ideally situated in a quiet residential area with only 10 minutes walk to the sandy beaches. Bournemouth town centre itself is only a 20 minute bus journey from the school and the historic town of Christchurch is only a few minutes away. The Victorian school building is unique having its own garden where students can relax and study with outdoor seating.
Bournemouth is a city widely known as a beautiful seaside resort town on the south coast of England. With a population of 160,000 and a location only 90 minutes away from London, Bournemouth offers students a relaxing study environment and a holiday atmosphere. Bournemouth is also said to be the sunniest seaside resort in the South of England. It has seven glorious miles of sandy beach, a national park, and a beautiful coastline. It is no surprise that over 5.5 million tourists visit every year. Students who visit Bournemouth are ideally positioned to explore a variety of attractions that include stately homes, dramatic coastlines and idyllic forests. The New Forest, famous for its wildlife and scenic beauty, is also within easy traveling distance. Cycling is a great way to explore the treasures of the forest, although pony rides offer a fun alternative. With many nearby attractions as well as a vibrant local nightlife, typical of a lively international resort town, students will definitely be entertained in Bournemouth.
Intensive English Course (21 hrs/week)
- About This Course
- The program is offered year-round. Students enrolled in the program receive 28 in-class lessons (21 hours) per week. The program is the most comprehensive and popular course at school and is ideal for those students who are looking to achieve maximum progress in their English skills using the time they have available.
The program is offered with 6 levels of instruction from beginner to advanced. When students arrive at the school, they are given a comprehensive placement test to evaluate their grammar, listening, speaking and writing skills and guarantee their proper placement into an ability level.
The program assists students at any ability level in developing English language skills, general communication skills, and building confidence when speaking. Instruction focuses on grammar, reading, writing, speaking and listening. The student will use a text book, which forms the basis of the study, but which is augmented by a variety of other materials such as video and audio recordings, supplementary text books and authentic materials. Each week, academic objectives are planned in advance and discussed with the students.
Outside of the classroom, students are encouraged to independently explore the local areas of interest and experience the city’s vibrant, eclectic neighborhoods to gain real, practical insight into the culture of the city. Many students participate in school-organized events, as well, and enjoy the local entertainment and leisure activities.
Classroom sizes range from 10 to 14 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 10-12 Students CLASS LEVELS: 6 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 1-52 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 16 Years Old REQUIREMENT: N/A HOUSING: Homestay
Choose 3 - 52 Week Course from Starting Dates
- APPLICATION FEE
- UK£ 90 (US$ 135)
- TUITION FEE (2020)
1-4 WEEKS UK£ 255 per week 5-12 WEEKS UK£ 245 per week 13-24 WEEKS UK£ 235 per week 25-36 WEEKS UK£ 225 per week
- UK£ 10
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 1-52 WEEKS UK£ 111 - 171 per week N/A N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- UK£ 90-230
- Remarks / Other Information
- United Kingdom Bournemouth
Southbourne School of English
30 Beaufort Road, Southbourne Bournemouth, England BH6 5AL UNITED KINGDOM
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 4.0 School Environment: 5.0 Helpfulness of Staff: 5.0 Activities and Social Life: 5.0 Accommodation: 5.0
- There are 1 reviews for this school
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.