St. Clare's, Oxford
- High quality language instruction with over 50 years’ experience of teaching students from around the world
- Plentiful modern facilities - enjoyable and efficient study
- Enjoy studying in historic Oxford in an atmosphere of true academic excellence
- About the School
- Founded in 1953, St. Clare’s, Oxford is a private English language school which has over a half a century of experience teaching students from around the world. The school has a strong academic reputation and provides first-class educational experiences throughout the year to all its students. With a highly qualified staff and an excellent mix of international students, the school provides a high level of care and support for learners ensuring rapid progress from start to finish. Studying at the school offers students independence and a wide exposure to different cross-cultural ideas in a vibrant and academic living environment that will deepen English communication skills and cultural understanding. Students enjoy a strong academic framework that helps them to learn quickly and efficiently. The school offers a comfortable learning environment equipped with modern facilities sufficient to support students in their studies. Learning from experienced teachers with advanced degrees, students study from a rigorous curriculum designed to focus on the four key areas of English language study: grammar and structure; listening and speaking; reading and writing; and British English pronunciation. To further add to students’ academic and cultural experience, the school organizes a wide range of field trips or activities for students to practice their newly-acquired English skills in a natural setting while experiencing British culture first-hand.
The school is accredited by the British Council and is a member of English UK, the national association of accredited English language centers.
Type : Private
Establishment : 1953
Membership/Accreditation : British Council, English UK
Enrollment : 300
Average Class Size : 12
Student Adviser : YesAirport Pickup : Yes
Internet Access : Yes
Tuition : High
Activities : Frequent
Location : Urban
Transportation : Train, bus, taxi
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- The school has hosted thousands of students from around the world. The majority of students have come to the school from Europe, including Netherland (20%), Spain (10%), Switzerland (5%), Germany (5%), France and Norway. Students are also from Asia; Korea (10%), Japan (10%) and Taiwan. Others include students from countries in Latin America (10%) and Middle East (15%).
- Faculty Qualifications
- The instructors are trained, fully-certified professionals. Many instructors have lived and traveled abroad and have extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of the instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- The school provides students with the opportunity to live in off-campus residences or enjoy a homestay experience. For students who prefer an independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the school environment. The school also arranges homestays for those students who want to experience local culture first-hand as a member of a family and practice their conversational English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Private off-campus apartments are also available; however students must make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The school is located in a fashionable and beautiful residential area in North Oxford, which is only minutes away from city center by bus. The school occupies beautiful traditional English buildings with spacious and attractive gardens, and the places are ideal for students who want to study in a relaxed and green area but be close to the excitement and attractions of central Oxford. Oxford is situated approximately 55 miles (90km) north-west of London and is surrounded by a number of friendly communities and historical villages. North Oxford is considered by many to be the most desirable and famous suburb of Oxford, England.
Best known as the home of the University of Oxford, the oldest university in the English speaking world, Oxford is one of the world’s most popular student towns, and home to various cultural events, a lively social scene and historical architecture. It is a bustling student city with a reputation for academic brilliance and scientific discovery. Young people from all over the world enjoy the student life, around which this town has revolved for centuries.
With a large student population, Oxford is well-known for an abundance of bars, cafes, restaurants, clubs and ethnic shops. Being one of the most diverse small cities in England, students will have many opportunities to meet students from around the world. With a population of over 130,000, the city is also a bustling cosmopolitan place. Along with its famous university, Oxford is also home o a growing hi-tech community. The city is slightly larger, busier, and more industrial than Cambridge. Oxford is associated with the motor industry, whereas the area surrounding Cambridge is known as Silicon Fen and has more high technology manufactures. The University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge, collectively known as Oxbridge, are the two oldest and most famous universities in Britain. Both were founded more than 750 years ago, and between them have produced a large number of Britain’s most prominent scientists, writers, and politicians.
English for Life (21 hrs/week)
- About This Course
- The program is offered year-round. Students enrolled in the program receive 30 in-class lessons (21 hours) per week. The program is the most comprehensive and popular course at school and enables each student’s all round skills to develop with a particular focus on areas to improve or special interests.
The program is offered with 6 levels of instruction from beginner to advanced. When students arrive at the school, they are given a comprehensive placement test to evaluate their grammar, listening, speaking and writing skills and guarantee their proper placement into an ability level.
The purpose of the program is to enable students to obtain sufficient knowledge and become fluent in all areas of the English language. In order to achieve this end, the program’s rigorous curriculum focuses on developing students’ fundamental English skills in the areas of: Grammar, Writing, Conversation, Pronunciation, Listening, Reading and Vocabulary. Students study from the core curriculum that focuses on skill area development. Students can also participate in classroom workshops to study such topics as: Pronunciation, Listening, Idioms, Discussions and Exam preparation. The student will use a text book, which forms the basis of the study, but which is augmented by a variety of other materials such as video and audio recordings, supplementary text books and authentic materials.
Outside of the classroom, students are encouraged to independently explore the local areas of interest and experience the city’s vibrant, eclectic neighborhoods to gain real, practical insight into the culture of the city. Many students participate in school-organized events, as well, and enjoy the local entertainment and leisure activities.
Classroom sizes range from 10 to 12 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 12 Students CLASS LEVELS: 6 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 2-52 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 Years Old REQUIREMENT: N/A HOUSING: Homestay
Choose 3 - 52 Week Course from Starting Dates
- APPLICATION FEE
- UK£ 100 (US$ 150)
- TUITION FEE (2020-2021)
2-5 WEEKS UK£ 434 per week 6-11 WEEKS UK£ 424 per week 12-17 WEEKS UK£ 414 per week 18-23 WEEKS UK£ 404 per week 24-35 WEEKS UK£ 394 per week 36+ WEEKS UK£ 384 per week
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 2-52 WEEKS UK£ 246-325 per week N/A UK£ 246-389 per week
- Airport Pickup Service
- Remarks / Other Information
- United Kingdom Oxford
St. Clare's, Oxford
139 Banbury Road Oxford OX2 7AL UNITED KINGDOM
- Getting To Your School
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.