Hampstead School of English
- High quality English language training with plentiful modern facilities
- The approach to teaching and learning a language is essentially learner-centred and communicative, focusing on students’ needs and interests
- Located in a fashionable and beautiful residential area of North London, only 20 minutes from Central London by subway
- About the School
- Founded in 1977, Hampstead School of English is one of London’s premier private English language school that provides top quality language teaching and aims to contribute towards a better understanding among people everywhere by helping to bridge national, cultural and social barriers. For years, the school has specialized in teaching English to foreign students, professionals and visitors from all around the world and continues to significantly improve their English skills and prepare them for success, whether at an academic institution, in a professional setting or for personal satisfaction.
Learning from experienced teachers with advanced degrees, students study from a rigorous curriculum designed to focus on the four key areas of English language study: grammar and structure; listening and speaking; reading and writing; and British English pronunciation. To further add to students’ academic and cultural experience, the school organizes a wide range of field trips or activities for students to practice their newly-acquired English skills in a natural setting while experiencing British culture first-hand.
The school will give you a complete language learning experience in London including first-class teaching, excellent accommodation, enjoyable social activities and full support and advice. Situated in north London, Hampstead is London’s most famous “village” and the school is surrounded by lovely countryside. The location combines the advantages of having the center of London within easy reach and varied accommodation choices very close to the school.
The school is accredited by the British Council and is member of English UK, the national association of accredited English language centres.
Type : Private
Establishment : 1977
Membership/Accreditation : British Council, English UK
Enrollment : 250
Average Class Size : 10
Student Adviser : YesAirport Pickup : Yes
Internet Access : Yes
Tuition : High
Activities : Frequent
Location : Suburban
Transportation : Train, subway, bus, taxi
- CONTACT INFORMATION
Hampstead School of English
553 Finchley Road
London, England NW3 7BJ UNITED KINGDOMTEL: +44 (0)20 7794 3533
FAX: +44 (0)20 7431 2987
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- The school has hosted thousands of students from around the world. The majority of students have come to the school from Europe, including Italy (10%), Germany (10%), Spain (10%), France (5%) and Switzerland (5%). Students are also from Asia; Korea (15%), Japan (10%) and Taiwan. Others include students from countries in Latin America (5%) and Middle East (5%).
- Faculty Qualifications
- The instructors are trained, fully-certified professionals. Many instructors have lived and traveled abroad and have extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of the instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- The school provides students with the opportunity to live in off-campus residences or enjoy a homestay experience. For students who prefer an independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the school environment. The school also arranges homestays for those students who want to experience local culture first-hand as a member of a family and practice their conversational English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Private off-campus apartments are also available; however students must make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The school is located in a beautiful residential area of Hampstead district in North London, which is only 20 minutes from central London by subway. The school is located in a beautiful traditional English building, and is ideal for students who want to study in a relaxed and green area but be close to the excitement and attractions of central London.
The area of Hampstead offers a variety of sporting facilities and its very large parks and natural environment provide opportunities for long "country" walks close by. Though now considered an important part of London, Hampstead has retained much of its village atmosphere and charm. The area is best known for its intellectual, artistic, musical and literary associations and for the large and hilly parkland known as Hampstead Heath which has one of the most famous views of the London skyline. The Heath is a major place for Londoners to go for walks and has three open-air swimming ponds. Local activities include open-air concerts on the weekends, book and poetry readings, and musical recitals.
London is the most populous city within the European Union, with an official population of 7.5 million and has a metropolitan area population of between 12 and 14 million. Its diverse population draws from a wide range of peoples, cultures and religions, speaking over 300 different languages. London is a major tourist destination with four world heritage sites, a number of royal parks, and numerous famous landmarks such as the Houses of Parliament, Tower Bridge, the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and the London Eye. Other attractions include famous institutions such as the National Gallery, along with many shopping, nightlife and entertainment destinations in the West End. London's main geographical feature is the River Thames which runs through the city from the south-west to the east.
General English 25 Course
- About This Course
- The program is offered year-round. Students enrolled in the program receive 25 hours of in-class instruction per week and classes are held Monday through Friday. The program is the most comprehensive and popular course at school and is ideal for those students who are looking to achieve maximum progress in their English skills using the time they have available.
The program is offered with 6 levels of instruction from beginner to advanced. When students arrive at the school, they are given a comprehensive placement test to evaluate their grammar, listening, speaking and writing skills and guarantee their proper placement into an ability level.
The program assists students at any ability level in developing English language skills, general communication skills, and building confidence when speaking. Instruction focuses on grammar, reading, writing, speaking and listening. The student will use a text book, which forms the basis of the study, but which is augmented by a variety of other materials such as video and audio recordings, supplementary text books and authentic materials. Each week, academic objectives are planned in advance and discussed with the students.
Outside of the classroom, students are encouraged to independently explore the local areas of interest and experience the city’s vibrant, eclectic neighborhoods to gain real, practical insight into the culture of the city. Many students participate in school-organized events, as well, and enjoy the local entertainment and leisure activities.
Classroom sizes range from 11 to 14 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 11 - 14 students CLASS LEVELS: 6 levels COURSE LENGTH: 2-52 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 16 years old REQUIREMENT: N/A HOUSING: Homestay
Choose 2 - 52 Week Course from Starting Dates
- APPLICATION FEE
- UK£ 50(US$ 80)
- TUITION FEE (2019-2020)
1-11 WEEKS UK£ 340 per week 12-23 WEEKS UK£ 310 per week
- UK£ 45-75
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 1 WEEKS UK£ 155-330 per week N/A UK£ 190-375 per week
- Airport Pickup Service
- UK£ 75-130
- Remarks / Other Information
- United Kingdom London
Hampstead School of English
553 Finchley Road London, England NW3 7BJ UNITED KINGDOM
- Getting To Your School
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.