Global Village English Centres, Victoria
- Strict "English Only Policy" promotes serious study and accelerates language skill acquisition
- Nationality Quotas: Limited number of students from the same country in General English Program
- Plentiful activities in picturesque Victoria: Whale Watching; Kayaking; and the Royal BC Museum
- About the School
- Established in 1989, Global Village English Centres (GV) are private English language schools offering top-quality English language instruction among its seven locations worldwide: Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary and Victoria in Canada, Hawaii in the United States, and Sydney and Brisbane in Australia. All seven centres provide its students with the opportunity to register at more than one GV location or transfer between GV schools to diversify their English studies. Understanding that each student arrives at GV with specific goals and dreams, GV offers a total care service called “GV360°” that is designed to ensure that every aspect of a student’s language learning experience is addressed through personal one-on-one discussions with teachers and staff, whether for individual entry interviews to determine students’ English ability level, feedback interviews with teachers, or monthly support meetings with student counseling staff. GV pays close attention to the needs of their students by offering small classes at all ability levels from Beginner to Advanced while classes are communication-based and focus on speaking, listening, grammar and vocabulary building. In order to provide students with a total English immersion experience, GV adheres to a strict “English Only Policy” and students must use English both in and outside of the classroom, as well as during all GV-organized activities. The directors of all seven GV schools meet on a regular basis to review academic and curricular- related issues pertinent to the programs in order to ensure and uphold high academic standards among all programs.
Type : Private English School
Establishment : 1989
Membership/Accreditation : PELSA, CLC
Enrollment : 150
Average Class Size : 12
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available from School
Internet Access : On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequent
Location : Urban
Transportation : Train, ferry, bus
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- Students come from as many as 60 different countries. Nationality quotas for selected programs ensure an international environment for our students. The largest numbers of students in recent years have been from Korea, Switzerland, Japan, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, France, Venezuela and Germany.
- Faculty Qualifications
- Teachers are university educated, highly experienced, and certified to teach English as a Second Language (ESL) or English as a Foreign Language (EFL). Many have taught overseas and understand the challenges of learning a foreign language. The administrative staff is there to provide information and help students with any problems that may arise.
- The school offers high quality Homestay Programs where students live with a local family. During their stay students will have many opportunities to use their English and to learn about the local culture. Other types of residences are also available. It is best to arrange housing as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Check the Course Data Page to make sure that your desired housing option is available for the course to which you will apply. Additionally, the school may introduce privately-owned apartments; however, students must make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The centre is ideally located in the heart of Victoria’s tourism and shopping district. Public transportation is easily accessible and the school is a short walk from Victoria's beautiful harbor. Victoria, the capital city of British Columbia, is one of Canada's most beautiful cities. Located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island, Victoria is a short plane or charming ferry ride away from downtown Seattle and Vancouver. Victoria is known around the world for its gorgeous gardens, superb shopping and cosmopolitan dining. Because Victoria enjoys one of the warmest climates in Canada, residents are free to enjoy such outdoor activities as whale watching, hiking, sea kayaking and boating throughout the year. It is just a few hours away from the world-renowned ski/snowboarding resort of Whistler. Also nearby are Vancouver and Seattle in the US - all great for weekend getaways.
General English Program (25 lessons/week)
- About This Course
- The General English Program is offered throughout the year and is ideal for those students able to dedicate time to their English studies. Students enrolled in the program receive 25 lessons of classroom instruction per week.
The program offers nine levels of instruction from Beginner to Advanced. Placement in these levels depends upon the results of a Placement Test and Intake Assessment (oral interview) which will be taken on the first day of class.
The General English program is the perfect program for an all-round language learning experience with a focus on communication. The instruction includes language structure, vocabulary, speaking, and writing. The instruction of each level is uniquely structured, where students learn how to use practical English in real life situations.
The program has a strict "English only policy." Students are asked to speak English while they are at school and during activities. Students who fail to speak English will be asked to leave school for the day.
Class sizes range from 10 to 14 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 10 - 14 students CLASS LEVELS: 9 levels COURSE LENGTH: 1-24+ weeks MINIMUM AGE: 16 years old REQUIREMENT: N/A HOUSING: Homestay
Choose 1 - 52 Week Course from Starting Dates
- APPLICATION FEE
- CAN$ 150 (US$ 115)
- TUITION FEE (2021)
1-11 WEEKS CAN$ 365 per week 12-23 WEEKS CAN$ 345 per week 24+ WEEKS CAN$ 330 per week
- CAN $220
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 1-24+ WEEKS CAN$ 200-290 per week N/A N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- CAN $90 (one way)
- CAN$ 10 per week
- Remarks / Other Information
- Canada Victoria, British Columbia
Global Village English Centres
1290 Broad Street, Suite 200 Victoria, British Columbia V8W 2A5 CANADA
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 5.0 School Environment: 5.0 Helpfulness of Staff: 5.0 Activities and Social Life: 5.0 Accommodation: 5.0
- There are 1 reviews for this school
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.