University of North Florida (UNF)
- The ELP is very student-focused, and students are the main priority. ELP prides itself on becoming each student’s second home when they are in the United States.
- Jacksonville is located in Northeast Florida, just minutes from the beach and a few hours from Orlando, Daytona Beach, and Tampa
- The ELP is a founding member of NEFTESOL, a member of UCIEP, and an endorser of TESOL standards. Learn English online! Online courses are now available! https://www.unf.edu/elp/IEP_SPECIAL_PROGRAMS_TEASERS.aspx
- About the ESL Program
- The English Language Program at UNF was established in 1997 and has served thousands of students from over 70 countries. UNF provides students with memorable cultural experiences paired with exceptional instruction. Dedicated staff and faculty ensure that the students are given the necessary support to meet their individual needs during their time in the program. The students are immersed into a compassionate and supportive environment while adjusting to a new culture and educational experiences. After completing the ELP, students feel confident in academic, social, and professional settings which creates an advantageous situation for them to achieve success.
While at the ELP, students receive 22 hours of instruction per week. Classes run Monday through Thursday, and students go on field trips and volunteer activities on Fridays. There are also additional activities run by student assistants on Wednesday evenings. Classes are small, with 10-12 students in each class on average. Students are also given various opportunities to spend time with UNF students who are native English speakers when they are not in class.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1997
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA, UCIEP / SACS
Enrollment : 90
Average Class Size : 10 - 12
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available
Internet Access : On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Suburban
Transportation : Bus, Train, Taxi
- A Message from School
- We are pleased to welcome you to the English Language Program (ELP) at the University of North Florida and our profile at ApplyESL.com. In our program, you will improve your English language skills, learn about American culture, and make many new friends. Your language learning will be provided by highly qualified instructors. Our teaching staff is committed to your academic success and will assist you along the way while you are achieving your goals. The ELP office staff will also provide you with assistance while you are in the United States. Do not hesitate to ask for help or guidance.
At the ELP, you will be submerged in American university life because our building is located in the heart of UNF campus. We offer after-class activities where you will meet American students. Volunteering and going on field trips to local sites will provide you with more opportunities to use English and let you learn more about the Northeast Florida area. At the ELP, you will meet many students from different countries and make many friends who share the same goal – to learn English.
We are sure that the English Language Program will become your home away from home. We invite you to join us here at the ELP in Jacksonville, Florida
Sarah Morris and Jane Braglia
Assistant Directors, English Language Program (ELP)
University of North Florida
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- The ELP at UNF hosts students from countries all around the world.
- Faculty Qualifications
- ELP instructors are trained, skilled professionals. The instructors, native speakers of English, have extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world and have also been second language learners themselves. The personal and academic qualities of the instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- While attending ELP, students have the option to live in on-campus dormitories or off-campus residences. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities, and other students – both American and international. For students who prefer a more independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the campus environment. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as soon as possible due to the limited amount of space available. The school may provide information about private off-campus apartments; however, it is the students’ responsibility to make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The University of North Florida is located in Jacksonville, Florida. Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach, and Atlantic Beach are just a 10-minute drive from campus. Sports lovers will enjoy Jacksonville’s offerings of golf, soccer, tennis, fishing, boating, hiking, and water sports. If you’re more of a fan than an athlete, there are local professional teams for you to cheer for including the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp baseball team, the National Football League’s Jacksonville Jaguars, and the Jacksonville Armada soccer team.
The St. John’s Town Center, one of the largest outdoor shopping malls in Florida, is located less than five minutes from the university. The St. Augustine Outlets, a discount shopping complex featuring name brands such as Levi’s, Nike, and Calvin Klein, is located just south of campus. St. Augustine is America’s oldest city. The Spanish colonized the city in 1574, giving the city the feel of a small South American or European town. Today, small shops and cafes line the cobblestone streets. There are more than 20 different historical sites to choose from, making St. Augustine a favorite day-trip location for visitors.
Jacksonville is also just a few hours from Orlando and its famous amusement parks including Disneyworld, Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, and SeaWorld. Students can also visit Daytona Beach, Tampa, and The Kennedy Space Center in just a couple of hours!
- About the College/University
- The University of North Florida is a comprehensive, urban, public university located in Jacksonville. UNF is home to 17,000 students and six colleges. The scenic 1,381-acre campus includes a nature preserve, lakes for kayaking and canoeing, and miles of hiking trails. Another 1,050 acres of pristine wetlands on the Intracoastal Waterway are owned by UNF and used for research. Business classes are held downtown in UNF’s new Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation and in the heart of the city is the Museum of Contemporary Art Jacksonville (MOCA), an institute of UNF.
Highly ranked for quality and value, UNF routinely lands on top national lists by U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, Kiplinger’s, Forbes and others. Small class sizes, individualized attention, and transformational learning have become hallmarks of a UNF education. The vibrant campus is engaging, and it has more than 200 clubs including 25 fraternities and sororities, an active Student Government, and impactful programming to promote a positive student experience. UNF has 19 athletic teams and competes in Division I of the National Collegiate Athletic Association.
The University of North Florida opened its doors to approximately 2,000 upper-level students in the fall of 1972. The University was quick to expand and was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1974. The school’s mascot, Ozzie the Osprey, was adopted in November 1979. In 1984, UNF began admitting freshmen. Today, nearly 4,000 students graduate each year from UNF. The University of North Florida offers 57 bachelor’s degrees with 83 areas of concentration, 35 master’s degrees with 70 areas of concentration, and five doctoral degrees with three areas of concentration. There are six flagship programs: coastal and marine biology, international business, music, nursing, nutrition and dietetics, and transportation and logistics.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- No conditional admissions offered, but by completing the program, UNF waives the TOEFL score requirement for graduate and upper-level undergraduate admissions. UNF also offers a concurrent enrollment option at the highest level. Students take one 3-credit hour course at UNF while in class at the ELP.
Intensive English Program (IEP)
- About This Course
- The ELP offers a Spring, Summer, and Fall semester that are all 13 weeks long. Students can also come for a half-semester, which is 6 weeks long. Students will attend classes Monday-Thursday and receive 22 hours of instruction per week. The curriculum at the English Language Program combines formal learning of academic skills with a focus on being able to communicate in the English language. Classes are combined by skills: reading and writing and listening/speaking/vocabulary. Grammar is a separate subject. There are six levels of instruction at the ELP. Students with basic knowledge of English will start at the beginning level. After that, the levels are as follows: High-Beginning, Intermediate, High-Intermediate, Advanced, Pre-University, and Pre-University/ Concurrent. In the lower levels, Beginning – High-Intermediate, students will work on mastering the foundations of English language learning. Upper levels, Advanced and Pre-University, are dedicated to advancing the students’ skills needed for success in an American university. Students who score 490 on the iTP TOEFL (the test is given at the ELP every semester) before Pre-University can take one 3-credit UNF class and study in the ELP as a Concurrent student. Students who successfully complete the ELP Pre-University level can waive the TOEFL requirement when applying to UNF. Students are placed in the appropriate skill level based on a placement examination taken soon after arrival. Class sizes typically are between 10-12 students, and every effort is made to create a diverse community within the classes.
The ELP also offers elective courses that are separate from the intensive program. These classes are offered in-person and through an online platform. Some of the classes include a TOEFL iBT preparation course, IELTS preparation course, SAT/ACT preparation course, and a Listening/Speaking/Accent Reduction course. In addition to elective courses, the ELP offers a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Certificate. Students are taught how to teach English abroad. These students receive essential instruction and practicum in the program under the supervision of well-trained and seasoned faculty members.
An ELP student’s day would include two classes in the morning, a lunch break to spend time with friends from all over the world, and a final afternoon class. After class, the student could choose to go to an additional tutoring hour to get help with any of their classes. They could also choose to go to a mid-week hangout activity. There, the students hang out, practice their English, and explore Jacksonville with UNF students.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 10 - 12 Students CLASS LEVELS: 6 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 13 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 Years Old REQUIREMENT: None VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Admission HOUSING: On-Campus Residence
7 WEEKS: 6/21 - 8/6 13 WEEKS: 5/10 - 8/6
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 125 (Non-Refundable)
- TUITION FEE (2021)
7 WEEKS US$ 1,890 13 WEEKS US$ 3,740
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 7-13 WEEKS N/A US$ 700 Per Session Contact the School
- Airport Pickup Service
- Free Airport Pickup Provided - Send Arrival Details to School
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Jacksonville, Florida
University of North Florida (UNF)
English Language Program (ELP)
1 UNF Drive, Building 14E Jacksonville, Florida 32224 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.