Indiana University of Pennsylvania
American Language Institute (ALI) [Indiana, Pennsylvania]
- The ALI offers students a supportive learning environment with 21-24 hours per week of intensive English classes, full access to university services, and the option of provisional admission to IUP academic programs.
- Students experience a personalized learning-centered environment with highly qualified instructors and exceptional academic support programs to help them achieve their academic, professional, and personal goals.
- Excellent academics are offered at a reasonable price in the friendly community of Indiana, Pennsylvania.
- About the ESL Program
- The American Language Institute (ALI) at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) has been welcoming students from around the world since 1981. We offer intensive English programs for students to improve their language proficiency and cultural understanding. The full-time ALI program classes meet 21-24 hours per week in the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
The ALI provides a supportive environment and high quality individualized instruction for students who want to improve their English skills to achieve academic, professional, and personal goals. Individuals who want to study English in a supportive, friendly environment while building relationships with students from the U.S. and around the world will find the ALI an ideal setting.
Our students are part of the IUP community and have full access to university resources. Students who are interested in pursuing a degree at IUP can apply for the ALI Undergraduate Provisional Program. This option gives students provisional admission to their academic degree program while they are enrolled at the ALI to meet the university’s English language requirements. Provisional admission is also available for select graduate programs. Advanced students at the ALI have the option to apply for the Bridge Program, which allows them to take IUP credit-bearing classes along with advanced-level ALI classes.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1981
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA / Middle States
Enrollment : 110
Average Class Size : 10 -15
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available from School
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Rural
Transportation : Bus, Train, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Greetings from the American Language Institute at Indiana University of Pennsylvania! The ALI has been welcoming students from around the world for more than 30 years. The ALI offers intensive English programs for students who want to improve their language proficiency and cultural understanding. We have worked with students from all over the world and have a long history of receiving exchange students from partner universities. The multilingual and multicultural diversity at the ALI enriches our classes and the university community. The ALI prides itself on academic excellence with highly qualified teachers, challenging courses and individual attention for our students. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions. We look forward to working with you to help you achieve your goals!
Dr. Michele Petrucci
Director, American Language Institute
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- ALI hosts students from a diverse array of countries and backgrounds. With the ALI, undergraduate, graduate, culinary institute, and exchange programs, IUP has around 900 international students from more than 60 countries.
- Faculty Qualifications
- ALI instructors are highly qualified professionals who provide students with meaningful language learning opportunities. All instructors have at least an MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages or a related field, and many have or are working toward doctoral degrees. ALI instructors have lived and traveled abroad and have extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world. ALI instructors and staff care deeply about helping our students achieve their goals.
- While attending the ALI, students have the option to live in on-campus residence halls or off-campus housing. Students living on campus will be close to classes, campus activities, and other students – both American and international. For students who prefer a more independent lifestyle or who come to the U.S. with their families, off-campus housing provides more privacy and offers opportunities to interact with people in the community. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as soon as possible due to the limited amount of space available. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/housing or contact the ALI with any questions.
- Surrounding Area
- IUP is located in the town of Indiana in western Pennsylvania, a safe livable area about fifty-five miles northeast of Pittsburgh. Indiana, which rests in the foothills of the beautiful Allegheny Mountains, offers a welcoming community for students. With a population of 35,000, Indiana and its neighboring small towns are quiet and picturesque. Several nearby natural areas and state parks provide opportunities for hiking, camping, boating, and having picnic barbecues, and students can enjoy 280 beautiful acres of woods and fields at the Co-op Park, a recreational area owned by IUP. Students can also enjoy a vibrant downtown area near campus with specialty shops, restaurants, and historic buildings. Nearby Pittsburgh offers students opportunities to enjoy all that a large U.S. city has to offer. Indiana is also within easy driving distance of several major points of interest, including Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, New York City, and Niagara Falls.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1875, Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP), is a vibrant, comprehensive, research-based, teaching-focused, student-centered learning community. IUP combines the academic opportunities of a large university with the highly personalized and intimate learning-centered environment of a small college. Almost 14,000 students are enrolled in 132 undergraduate, 52 master’s and 12 doctoral programs. Students enjoy both traditional and nontraditional classroom experiences, engaging in research and service activities with teachers, preparing for rewarding careers and developing leadership skills for personal development. IUP students represent 44 states in the U.S. and more than 60 countries around the world. IUP is one of the top 100 public universities in the United States and is also well-regarded as one of the top public four-year schools in Pennsylvania for value education and return on investment. IUP students benefit from the leadership, professional, service and social opportunities offered by more than 250 exciting student organizations. IUP is accredited by the Middle States Association Commission on Higher Education and is a member of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students. (Undergraduate programs and some graduate programs) Advanced students at the ALI have the option to apply for the Bridge Program, which allows them to take IUP credit-bearing classes along with advanced-level ALI classes.
English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- About This Course
- The American Language Institute (ALI) offers a supportive environment and excellent instruction for students who want to improve their English for academic, professional, or personal goals. Classes are offered for seven weeks in the summer and fourteen weeks in both the fall and spring semesters. Students are provided with 21-24 hours of instruction per week plus optional elective courses in areas such as testing preparation for IELTS, TOEFL, and GMAT as well as service learning and tutoring opportunities. Through the ALI Provisional program, students can gain provisional admission to degree programs at IUP while they study English at the ALI.
When students arrive at the ALI, they complete placement testing to determine their proficiency level. The ALI typically offers five levels of study from beginner to advanced. Course topics include reading, writing, speaking, listening, grammar, vocabulary, academic culture, and electronic literacy. Students in the first four levels also have a required tutoring class in which they are paired with a highly qualified IUP student for individualized language learning.
In addition to classwork, the ALI and Office of International Education plan events that give students opportunities to learn about life in the United States, both on and off the university campus. Day trips and longer excursions are planned throughout the year. Students are also welcome and encouraged to participate in student clubs and activities to practice their language skills, build friendships, and learn more about the community and culture. ALI students have full access to IUP services including the library, athletic center, and campus events and organizations. International students at IUP also have access to exceptional academic support through the SkillZone program, a free drop-in tutoring center for international students and scholars.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 10 - 15 Students CLASS LEVELS: 5 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 7,14 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 Years Old REQUIREMENT: High School Transcript VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Request HOUSING: On-Campus Residence
10 WEEKS: 5/30 - 7/21 14 WEEKS: 1/16 - 5/4
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 100
- TUITION FEE (2017-2018)
7 WEEKS US$ 3,000 14 WEEKS US$ 3,500
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 7 WEEKS N/A US$2736-5115 Per Semester US$3273-5071 Per Semester 14 WEEKS N/A US$2736-5115 Per Semester US$3273-5071 Per Semester
- Airport Pickup Service
- US$ 60 (Pittsburgh International Airport)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Indiana, Pennsylvania
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
American Language Institute (ALI)
214 Eicher Hall, 860 Grant Street Indiana, Pennsylvania 15705 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 5.0 School Environment: 5.0 Helpfulness of Staff: 5.0 Activities and Social Life: 5.0 Accommodation:
- There are 1 reviews for this school
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Age 19, Male ] 2016/12/9
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.