American University (AU)
- Attend at least 20 hours of intensive courses per week as well as guest lectures from experts, conversation partner meetings with AU students and site visits in Washington, DC.
- Have access to all of American University services including its athletic center, abundant library and academic support and access center.
- Enjoy Washington, DC, the nation’s vibrant capital city and center of business, culture, and government.
- About the ESL Program
- The English Language and Training Academy (ELTA) is a full-time program for students and professionals seeking to strengthen English language skills or learn about American academic culture. ELTA provides four levels of high quality English instruction from beginner to advanced. It offers 20 hours of instruction per week during the fall and spring and 22.5 hours in the summer. As part of ELTA classes, students also attend guest lectures and workshops, meet with conversation partners, and go on site visits in Washington, DC. As all classes are located on American University's campus, ELTA students are integrated into the university student population, which gives them the opportunity to practice their language skills, make personal connections on campus and use all of American University's facilities including its library and athletic center. Applicants to ELTA must be at least 18 years of age and graduates of high school or secondary school. (https://www.american.edu/spexs/elta-esl/index.cfm)
Type : Private University
Establishment : 1893
Membership/Accreditation : SPExS
Enrollment : 50
Average Class Size : 12
Student Adviser : YesAirport Pickup : Student Arranged
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Medium
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Urban
Transportation : Bus, Train, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Greetings from Washington, D.C.!
Thank you for taking this opportunity to learn more about the English Language and Training Academy (ELTA) through ApplyESL.com. ELTA proudly offers English language training to both students and professionals on American University’s beautiful campus. Through our highly-experienced instructors, guest lectures from American University professors, and engaging, interactive classes, ELTA provides the opportunity for students to achieve their academic and professional goals. ELTA students are also an important part of the university community. All of our students can take part in campus clubs and organizations, have access to all of the university's state-of-the-art facilities, meet with AU students for conversation practice, and visit the many fascinating sites in DC. At the Intensive English Language Program, we believe that the best way to improve English skills and experience American culture is not only to study in the classroom, but to explore life first-hand in Washington, DC. We look forward to having you join us at American University. If you have any questions, always feel free to contact us! (email@example.com)
Mr. Ken Janjigian
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- The English Language and Training Academy (ELTA) hosts students from a diverse array of countries.
- Faculty Qualifications
- The instructors are trained, fully-certified professionals. Many instructors have lived and traveled abroad and have extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of the instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- While attending the school, students have the option to live in on-campus dormitories or off-campus residences. On-campus housing is available only in the summer. American University offers assistance to help students find off-campus housing. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities, and other students – both American and international. For students who prefer a more independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the campus environment. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as soon as possible due to the limited amount of space available. The school may provide information about private off-campus apartments; however, it is the students’ responsibility to make their own arrangements. More information can be found at (https://www.american.edu/ocl/housing/off-campus-housing-services.cfm)
- Surrounding Area
- American University is located in one of the most attractive and safest residential neighborhoods in Washington, DC. Situated in the heart of the nation’s capital, AU offers students a free shuttle to the nearest Metro station, which is less than one mile from the campus. From there, students are a quick Metro ride from numerous museums, government landmarks and tourist destinations such as the Washington Memorial, Capital Building and White House. With a public transportation system that is famous for its safety and cleanliness, Washington, DC is an ideal location for students as it offers great parks, museums and cultural events. As American University is centrally located in the mid-Atlantic region of the country and is just 25 minutes from Washington Reagan National Airport, it offers students the opportunity to visit many popular destinations such as Philadelphia, New York City, and Boston as well as any city within the continental U.S. (https://www.american.edu/spexs/elta-esl/life-in-dc.cfm)
- About the College/University
- American University is a private, research-based university located in Washington, DC. Established in 1893, the university has over 7,000 undergraduates and close to 3,500 graduate students. AU offers 69 Bachelor’s, 73 Master’s, and 11 Doctoral programs to its students. American University has a global student body, with students representing 137 countries and all 50 states. Overall, it is ranked one of the highest in the country for students who participate in study abroad programs and is famous for academic programs in fields such as public policy, international law and human rights. American University is comprised of seven schools and colleges including the School of Professional and Extended Studies, which has a diverse set of programs that pair academic and experiential learning. Within the School of Professional and Extended Studies is the English Language and Training Academy, which houses the university's primary center for English language study: the Intensive English Language Program (IELP) .
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- ELTA does not offer students conditional Admission to the university.
Intensive English Language Program (Online)
- About This Course
- The Intensive English Language Program (IELP) offers students a 14-week semester study option. All programs are designed to meet each student's individual goals and effectively prepare them for future work, study, or general communication in English. Each student has 20 hours of interactive instruction per week in the fall and spring, and 22.5 hours per week in the summer. With small classes of an average of 12-14 students, IELP students receive individualized attention and student-centered instruction. As part of the intensive program, students in levels 1-3 take two courses: Reading, Writing and Grammar and Listening and Speaking. Advanced students in level 4 take four unique courses: Writing and Grammar, Reading and Vocabulary, Academic Discussion, and Media and Culture. In the summer, Life and Culture in Washington, DC is also offered. In addition to IELP courses, students have the opportunity to improve their English by meeting with conversation partners, and explore Washington, DC. >>> https://www.american.edu/spexs/elta-esl/courses-descriptions.cfm
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 12 - 14 Students CLASS LEVELS: 4 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 5,10,14 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 Years Old REQUIREMENT: High School Diploma VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Request HOUSING: On-Campus Residence
10 WEEKS: 5/24 - 7/30 15 WEEKS: 8/30 - 12/10
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 0
- TUITION FEE (2021)
10 WEEKS US$ 6,178 15 WEEKS US$ 8,773
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 10 WEEKS N/A US$ 2,400 US$ 2,700 15 WEEKS N/A US$ 4,800
- Airport Pickup Service
- Medical Insurance
- US$ 1,100 (15 Weeks)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Washington, D.C.
English Language and Training Academy (ELTA)
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW Washington, D.C. 20016 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 5.0 School Environment: 5.0 Helpfulness of Staff: 5.0 Activities and Social Life: 5.0 Accommodation:
- There are 1 reviews for this school
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.