TLC - South Bend, Indiana University South Bend
- After completing TLC Level 9, students may be offered conditional admission to Indiana University, South Bend
- Enjoy studying on the third-largest campus in the Indiana University system and having access to all campus facilities
- Live in South Bend, a friendly college town that is the regional center for health and business services and is 2 hours drive from Chicago
- About the ESL School
- Founded in 1983, The Language Company (TLC) is a group of private language schools that has provided exceptional English instruction and cultural opportunities to more than 30,000 students from around the world. The various locations of TLC schools around the United States offer ideal learning environments for those students wanting to concentrate on their studies and learn in friendly, quiet and safe surroundings. The rigorous TLC curriculum is designed to significantly improve English skills in the shortest time possible, prepare students for academic study at an American college or university and improve each student’s professional credentials while providing an enjoyable experience learning a new language. An academic counseling service is available free-of-charge for those students who want to attend an American college or university after completing their studies at TLC. Many colleges and universities waive the TOEFL requirement for TLC graduates. Outside of the classroom, special events and activities are organized by TLC to encourage students to practice their English while learning about American culture and making new friends. In the past, various activities have been offered such as horseback riding, visits to zoos and parks, sightseeing and shopping in the local areas, trips to amusement and water parks, and seasonal festivals. Students are also encouraged to independently explore each area’s vibrant neighborhoods and take day trips to visit nearby cities. The Language Company is accredited by ACCET (The Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training), and is a proud member of AAIEP (The American Association of Intensive English Programs) which promotes professional standards and high-quality English language programs.
Type : Private English School
Establishment : 1983
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA / ACCET
Enrollment : 100
Average Class Size : 10
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available
Internet Access : On-Campus
Tuition : Medium
Activities : Frequent
Location : Urban
Transportation : Bus, taxi
- A Message from School
- Welcome, and thank you for taking the time to learn about The Language Company at ApplyESL.com. Since 1983, we have provided superior English instruction and cultural activities to students worldwide. The Language Company would like to share our years of experience to help you to achieve your English goals. The Language Company’s instructors, directors and staff are committed to helping you learn. We provide a full range of services including academic counseling. Our cooperating college network can find the college or university that is right for you. Choosing a language school is an important decision. With The Language Company, you will improve your English skills and have great memories of the United States and its people. Our staff and representatives are ready to assist you with any questions you may have. We hope to see you soon at one of our institutes.
Chairman and CEO
The Language Company
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- TLC - South Bend at Indiana University, South Bend has hosted thousands of students from around the world. Recently, the majority of students have come to the school from Asia, including Korea (25%), Japan (20%), Taiwan (10%), Thailand (5%) and Indonesia (5%). Students are also from countries in Latin America (10%), Europe (5%), Middle East (5%), Africa and others.
- Faculty Qualifications
- TLC instructors are highly-qualified, native speaking professionals that help their students advance through their programs quickly. Many instructors have lived and traveled abroad and have extensive training and experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of TLC instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- The school provides students with the opportunity to live in on-campus dormitories, off-campus residences, or enjoy a homestay experience. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities and other students. For students who prefer a more independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the campus environment. The school also arranges homestays for those students who want to experience local culture first-hand as a member of a family and practice their conversational English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Private off-campus apartments are also available; however students must make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- TLC - South Bend sits on the beautiful Indiana University South Bend campus, located in the friendly college city of South Bend, Indiana. With more than 250,000 residents, South Bend is the fourth largest city in Indiana and is home to several colleges, most notably being Indiana University South Bend and the University of Notre Dame. South Bend is a favorite destination for American football fans as the College Football Hall of Fame is located in the heart of the city. The Hall features memorials and memorabilia of great American football players and coaches involved at the college-level, as well as areas to test fans’ punting, passing, speed and agility. South Bend is located 152km from the heart of downtown Chicago, the third-largest city in the United States following New York City and Los Angeles. Commonly referred to as the “Second City” or the “Windy City,” Chicago has long been recognized as a financial, industrial and transportation center, in addition to its colorful mosaic of ethnic diversity. While exploring the city, don't forget to visit the Lincoln Park Zoo, the nation's oldest public zoo; the Art Institute of Chicago, home of the largest collection of Impressionist paintings outside of Paris; or the three of the world's tallest buildings, the Sears Tower, the Amoco Building and the John Hancock. Sports enthusiasts have no problem in finding a team to cheer for in Chicago, a city home to dedicated fans that are serious about their sports teams, including The Bulls (NBA basketball), the much-beloved Bears (NFL football), The Blackhawks (NHL hockey), The Fire (soccer) and the historic baseball teams, The Chicago Cubs and the 2005 World Series champions, The White Sox.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1916, Indiana University South Bend (IUSB) is a public, co-educational institution operating the third largest campus within the Indiana University system. Popularly known as IU South Bend, the University first began as an extension of the main Indiana University Bloomington campus and later in 1961, acquired the current 80-acre campus. Home to over 7,400 students including 200 international students, IUSB offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate degree programs and 1,600 courses among its nine academic colleges and divisions: Liberal Arts & Sciences; Labor Studies; Nursing and Health Professions; Arts; Continuing Studies; Business & Economics; Education; Public and Environmental Affairs; and Social Work. The university campus is situated along the banks of the St. Joseph River and offers picturesque surroundings for students to enjoy while walking to class. Outside of the classroom over 70 student-run organizations are active within the campus community, encouraging IUSB students to write for the student newspaper, “The Preface,” join fraternities or sororities, play in intramural and club sports teams, perform in the student theatre and musical productions or learn about new languages and cultures through the International clubs. As fans of the IUSB sports teams, “The Titans,” students and the campus community are sure to be on-hand to cheer on their much-loved men’s and women’s basketball teams.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- TLC students who want to be placed in a high school, college or university may apply directly to TLC's Academic Placement Services (APS) for assistance.
- About This Course
- The Intensive English is offered year-round with sessions beginning every four weeks. Students enrolled in the program meet Monday through Friday and receive a minimum of 25 hours of classroom instruction per week. This program is ideal for students who want to achieve maximum progress in their English skills in order to gain admission to an American college or university, enhance their professional credentials or simply enjoy learning a new language.
The program is offered at 9 levels of instruction from Beginner to Advanced. Upon their arrival at the school, students are given a placement test to determine the level best-suited to their ability. At the end of each 4-Week session, students receive a written Final Grade Report from their instructors that evaluates their speaking ability, class performance, tests and homework assignments.
The rigorous curriculum at the Beginning level is designed to develop each student’s fundamental language skills of listening, speaking and writing. Students at the Intermediate level learn more advanced grammar structures and vocabulary, gain the skills necessary to express themselves orally and in writing, and to read and understand technical materials. Students who complete the Advanced levels should be able to function comfortably in any English-speaking environment, understand speakers in a variety of settings, and use written and spoken materials to write academic/professional reports. Elective courses are also part of the curriculum for Intermediate- and Advanced-level students to focus on their English studies while building their core language skills. Students may choose to study elective topics such as: Vocabulary, Idioms and Slang, Conversation, Pronunciation, American Culture Through Films, Current Events, American History and Government, and Business English. Academic placement counseling is available free-of-charge for those students who want to attend an American college or university after completing their studies at TLC. Many colleges and universities waive the TOEFL requirement for TLC graduates.
Classroom sizes average 10 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 10 Students CLASS LEVELS: 9 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 36 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 16 Years Old REQUIREMENT: N/A VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Request HOUSING: Dormitory
Choose 3 - 36 Week Course from Starting Dates
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 100
- TUITION FEE (2021)
4 WEEKS US$ 1,595
- US$ 200 (Homestay); US $100 (On-Campus)
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 4-24 WEEKS US$ 700 Per Month US$ 499-779 Per Month N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- US$ 75 (South Bend Regional Airport)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States South Bend, Indiana
TLC - South Bend
Indiana University South Bend
1720 Ruskin Street, Suite 100 South Bend, Indiana 46615 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 5.0 School Environment: 4.0 Helpfulness of Staff: 5.0 Activities and Social Life: 5.0 Accommodation: 3.0
- There are 1 reviews for this school
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ caracas, venezuela, Age 20, Male ]
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.