California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Credit-bearing classes offered to upper-level students
- Study at one of the nation’s six polytechnic universities incorporating technology with a traditional liberal arts or applied sciences education
- Enjoy Southern California’s magnificent weather and easy access to downtown Los Angeles, one of the world’s most metropolitan areas
Choose Your Course Below
- About the ESL Program
- Established in 1991, the Cal Poly English Language Institute (CPELI) at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona provides a challenging, academically-focused curriculum to prepare international students to enroll at an American college or university. In addition to developing students’ language skills, CPELI also deems it essential to teach students the "culture" of the classroom, from how to study, research and organize ideas, or take a test to using a computer or how to behave in an academic environment. Advisors are on-hand to help students with every step of the college application process, from finding the right school to completing the application itself. Outside of the classroom, students have plenty of opportunities to practice their newly-acquired English skills, whether by participating in CPELI-organized holiday parties or field trips to the beach, the theater, sporting events or Disneyland, playing in Cal Poly intramural sports teams, or joining the Conversation Club to have a friendly conversation with American students.
CPELI is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) and is a proud member of EnglishUSA (The American Association of Intensive English Programs ) which promotes professional standards and high-quality English programs.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1991
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA / CEA
Enrollment : 110
Average Class Size : 12
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Student Arranged
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Suburban
Transportation : Bus, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Hello from Cal Poly Pomona!
We are happy that you have chosen to visit our site at ApplyESL. We are very proud of the Cal Poly English Language Institute (CPELI) and of the beautiful Cal Poly Pomona campus. Cal Poly Pomona is an ideal location for students who are serious about pursuing their higher education. Our school is close to all major Southern California attractions; yet, the campus maintains a quiet, almost rural atmosphere that is conducive to study. Our teachers work hard to provide students with all the skills necessary for academic success at an American college or university. In addition, we provide our students with the opportunity to practice their English in real situations with American students and with other international students on campus. As a further enhancement, we schedule numerous off-campus outings, such as trips to the beach, to the mountains and to other places of interest in the Southern California area. It has been our experience over the past 15 years that those students who take part in these extracurricular activities are the students who make the quickest progress in their English-language skills. It is this balance of the academic and the social that creates the special and friendly environment of CPELI. So, we hope that you will join us here at Cal Poly Pomona, where we can help you shape your future.
Director, Cal Poly English Language Institute
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- CPELI hosts students from countries all around the world.
- Faculty Qualifications
- All CPELI instructors hold a master's degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages or in related academic fields. The personal and academic qualities and years of teaching experience among CPELI instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities to their students. Many of the faculty members have spent time living or traveling overseas and are sympathetic to the needs of their students to help them adjust to a new culture.
- The school provides students with the opportunity to live in on-campus dormitories, off-campus residences, or enjoy a homestay experience. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities and other students. For students who prefer a more independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the campus environment. The school also arranges homestays for those students who want to experience local culture first-hand as a member of a family and practice their conversational English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Private off-campus apartments are also available; however students must make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The Cal Poly campus is located in charming Pomona, a serene foothill community home to over 155,000 residents. Situated on the eastern edge of Southern California’s San Gabriel Valley, Pomona enjoys a mild climate with annual average temperatures ranging from 60°F to 75°F. Residents enjoy comfortable summer temperatures reaching the 80s during the day and low 60s in the evenings. Just 35 miles west of Pomona is one of the world’s most diverse metropolitan areas, Los Angeles. Boasting famed attractions including its vast Pacific Ocean beaches, historic Hollywood, legendary shopping on Rodeo Drive, famous museums, theaters and art galleries, not to mention Disneyland, Universal Studios, and the L.A. County Fair Grounds, Los Angeles offers endless natural, cultural and recreational opportunities for visitors and residents alike. If you are looking to escape the bustling city life, nearby San Bernadino National Forest offers plenty of hiking and equestrian trails to explore, as well as opportunities to see black bears, coyote and deer in their natural environment.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1956, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. As one of six polytechnic universities nationwide, Cal Poly incorporates technology with a traditional liberal arts or applied sciences education. This long-standing polytechnic approach, paired with a “learning-by-doing” philosophy, makes Cal Poly unique among traditional universities. Located 35 miles from downtown Los Angeles, the lush, rolling 1,400-acre campus is home to more than 20,000 students. Cal Poly offers students 80 undergraduate degrees, 12 graduate degrees and 16 credential programs among its seven academic colleges and one professional school, including agriculture; business administration; education and integrative studies; engineering; environmental design; letters, arts, and social sciences; science; and the Collins School of Hospitality Management. Cal Poly’s close proximity to the businesses and industries located in downtown Los Angeles makes it ideal for internships and employment opportunities. Outside of the classroom, the Cal Poly campus community is alive with academic, social, and volunteer opportunities. With more than 250 student-run clubs and organizations available, students can volunteer in community development projects, join international clubs, or write for the campus newspaper, the PolyPost.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students (Undergraduate programs only).
Intensive English Program
- About This Course
- The English language Program operates year-round, offering 10-week long sessions each quarter. Students enrolled in the program receive 22 hours of classroom instruction each week.
The program offers instruction at 6 levels of English proficiency, ranging from beginner to advanced. Upon students’ arrival at the CPELI, they are given English placement and writing tests to help determine the level best-suited to their ability.
Designed to prepare international students for study at an American college or university, the ESL Program curriculum provides instruction to develop students’ listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills. Core Class #1 is an integrated class that stresses communication and collaborative learning. As a required class, it focuses on developing students’ grammar and writing skills. Core Class #2, also a required class, focuses on students’ reading, speaking, listening, and vocabulary acquisition skills. In addition to attending their core classes, students also choose from a variety of elective courses to study topics such as TOEFL Preparation, American Culture and Cinema, American Pronunciation and Intonation, or American Idioms and Slang. A computer course is offered as part of the regular curriculum to prepare students to use computers in both academic and everyday life. Credit-bearing classes are additionally offered to upper-level CPELI students.
The CPELI offers special services to help students enroll at an American college or university. Academic advisors are on-hand to help students with every step of the college application process, from finding the right school to completing the application. Additionally, advisors are available to help educate students about their responsibilities regarding their visa and immigration status.
Students have plenty of opportunities to practice their newly-acquired English skills outside of the classroom, as well, whether through the field trips and activities organized by the CPELI, playing in Cal Poly intramural sports teams, or joining the Conversation Club to meet with American students to engage in friendly English conversation and learn more about American culture.
Class sizes range from 10 to 20 students. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size to promote effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 10-20 students CLASS LEVELS: 6 levels plus Academic Studies Program COURSE LENGTH: 10 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 years old REQUIREMENT: N/A VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon request HOUSING: Dormitory/On-Campus Apartment
Choose 1 - 2 Week Course from Starting Dates
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 175
- TUITION FEE (2020-2021)
8 WEEKS US$ 2,950 16 WEEKS US$ 5,900
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 8 WEEKS US$ 1,605-2,100 US$ 2,700-3,100 US$ 1,750-2,500
- Airport Pickup Service
- Remarks / Other Information
Currently preparing for next term.
- APPLY NOW
- United States Pomona, California
Cal Poly English Language Institute
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 West Temple Avenue, Bldg. 86 Pomona, California 91768 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 4.7 School Environment: 4.4 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.6 Activities and Social Life: 4.4 Accommodation: 3.2
- There are 16 reviews for this school
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.