University of Tennessee at Knoxville
University of Tennessee at Knoxville
English Language Institute (ELI) [Knoxville, TN]
- Institutional TOEFL given to students in all levels each term
- Gain full access to all University facilities and more than 300 campus organizations
- Enjoy living in Knoxville, a friendly, dynamic city with easy access to the majestic Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- About the ESL Program
- Established in 1978, the English Language Institute (ELI) provides non-native English speakers with the academic abilities, language and study skills, and cultural understanding essential for academic, professional or personal success. Each session, 100 students from around the world come to the ELI to receive outstanding English language instruction and individual attention from ELI instructors. The ELI curriculum focuses on improving students’ listening, grammar, reading, writing and communication skills, and offers special instruction in TOEFL preparation for those students wanting to integrate into the mainstream of higher education. ELI students gain full access to the University of Tennessee’s campus facilities and can enjoy using the sports facilities, campus libraries, the student health center and computer labs with Internet access. The University’s International House serves as a meeting place for all UTK students and allows ELI students to practice their English and make new friends. ELI is a proud member of EnglishUSA, the American Associate of Intensive English Programs promoting professional standards and high-quality English programs.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1978
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA
Enrollment : 100
Average Class Size : 16
Student Adviser : YesAirport Pickup : Yes
Internet Access : Yes
Tuition : Low
Activities : Weekly
Location : Urban
Transportation : Bus,Taxi
- A Message from School
- Welcome to the ELI profile on ApplyESL.com. I am glad that you are interested in learning more about English study at the English Language Institute (ELI) at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. For more than 25 years, thousands of students and professionals have successfully achieved their English goals at ELI. We hope that you will join us so that you too can improve your English skills. The faculty and staff at ELI believe that you can best learn English in an environment that encourages friendship, creativity, and personal growth. That is why we all work hard to make ELI your “home away from home.” ELI students come from all over the world, and although each student has unique goals and ambitions, all ELI students soon learn that our faculty and staff are friendly, supportive, and interested in you! On behalf of everyone at ELI, we look forward to having you study with us.
Director, English Language Institute
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- The ELI hosts 100 students from around the world each session. Recently, students have come to the ELI from Korea (32%), China (22%), Japan (8%), Saudia Arabia (7%), Vietnam (5%) Taiwan (5%), Venezuela (3%), Brazil (2%), Russia (2%) and Turkey (2%).
- Faculty Qualifications
- ELI instructors are highly-qualified, skilled professionals. ELI instructors hold either Master’s or Doctorate degrees in Teaching English as a Second Language or in related fields, have an average of more than 15 years teaching experience, and have extensive training and experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of ELI instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- While attending the ELI, students have the opportunity to live in on-campus university dormitories. Students living on-campus are close to classes, campus activities, and other students – both American and international. University Married Student Housing is usually available to ELI students who bring their families to the United States. Students are encouraged to apply for housing as soon as possible due to the limited amount of space available. The ELI may introduce private off-campus apartments, however it is the students’ responsibility to make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The University of Tennessee is located in Knoxville, the third-largest city in Tennessee home to 300,000 residents and lies between the Great Smoky and the Cumberland Mountains. Often ranked among the United States’ top 10 cities in surveys for quality of life, the Knoxville area is replete with entertainment and cultural events, as well as numerous museums, theaters and art galleries. Knoxville residents’ enthusiasm for their sports teams is year-round, however, the University of Tennessee’s renowned football team generates the most excitement. The second-largest crowd in the United States gathers to watch the University play some of the finest athletic teams in the nation. For outdoor enthusiasts who want to get away from the city, the majestic Great Smoky Mountains National Park is situated only an hour’s drive from downtown Knoxville. Bordering between North Carolina and Tennessee, this National Park is one of the largest protected areas in the Eastern United States and attracts more than 9 millions visitors each year. The ‘Smokies’ are a true nature lover’s paradise, offering outdoor activities including camping, hiking more than 800 miles of trails, biking, bird-watching, fishing, horseback riding, and exploring the endless diversity of plant and animal life. The major cities of Nashville, Atlanta, and Charlotte are all within a day’s drive of Knoxville.
- About the College/University
- The University of Tennessee (UTK) was founded in 1794 and is the oldest and largest public institution of higher learning in the state of Tennessee. The University consists of the Knoxville campus, the Health Science Center at Memphis, the Space Institute at Tullahoma, and the institutes of agriculture and public service. UTK’s 550-acre campus is home to more than 27,000 undergraduate and graduate students, including 1,000 international students, and over 1,200 full-time faculty members. The University offers more than 260 degree programs, including bachelor’s degrees in 105 areas of specialization, master’s in 94 areas, and doctoral degrees in more than 65. The University is comprised of 21 schools and colleges - the College of Pharmacy is currently ranked 7th in the nation and the MBA program was identified as among the world’s best by the Financial Times, a leading international business publication. Home of the football champion ‘Volunteers’ or ‘Vols’ (the nickname for UTK athletic teams) and the basketball champion ‘Lady Vols,’ UTK is a member of the exciting Southeastern Conference. The ‘Volunteer’ spirit is alive come game season and all students wear the school colors, orange and white. Outside of the classroom, students are actively involved in more than 300 clubs and organizations, including 8 men and 11 women varsity teams, a student-run newspaper, the Canoe and Hiking Club, social and volunteer groups, and theater and dance troupes.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students (Undergraduate programs only).
Intensive English Program
- About This Course
- The Intensive English Program offers five 8-week sessions throughout the academic year. Students enrolled in the Program receive 22 hours of in-class instruction each week.
The Program offers 3 levels of English classes, from beginning to advanced. At the beginning of the session, students take a placement test and receive instructor evaluations to help determine the level best-suited to their ability. All ELI students are awarded a certificate of completion at the end of each term. The faculty also presents special certificates and awards to students selected for outstanding academic and cultural contributions to the ELI.
Students in all levels of instruction attend four classes daily, Monday to Friday, to study the areas of: English Structure (Grammar), Writing/Composition (Rhetoric), Reading and Vocabulary, and Listening and Conversation. Students additionally select elective courses to study topics such as photography, Internet English, American movies, music, and art. Available electives vary from session to session. TOEFL preparation classes are also offered to assist ELI students in pronunciation, test-taking strategies, cultural orientation to the United States, and university-level study skills. To enhance their English studies, students are encouraged to use the computer-assisted language learning laboratory and its multimedia software for English language study and practice. Students can also use the laboratory for word-processing, individual use or to explore the Internet.
Outside of the classroom, the University’s International House serves as a meeting place for all UTK students to enhance international and intercultural communication. ELI students enjoy the International House’s comfortable lounges and recreational areas in order to practice their English and to make new friends.
The average class size is 11 students with a maximum of 18. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 16 students CLASS LEVELS: 3 levels COURSE LENGTH: 4,8,16 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 16 years old REQUIREMENT: N/A VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon request HOUSING: Dormitory/On-Campus Apartment
8 WEEKS: 1/8 - 3/2 3/15 - 5/11 6/4 - 7/31 8/20 - 10/12 10/12 - 12/14 16 WEEKS: 1/8 - 5/11 3/15 - 7/31 8/20 - 12/14
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 50
- TUITION FEE (2017-2018)
8 WEEKS US$ 2,164 16 WEEKS US$ 4,328
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE WEEKS 8 WEEKS N/A US$ 2,450-2,550 N/A 16 WEEKS N/A US$ 2,400-5,200 N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- Health Insurance
- US $300-450 (8w); US $750 (16w)
- Activities Fee
- US $296-488
- US $200 (8w); US $400 (16w)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Knoxville, Tennessee
English Language Institute (ELI)
University of Tennessee at Knoxville
907 Mountcastle Street Knoxville, TN 37996-3505 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School