University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point
English as a Second Language Program [Stevens Point, Wisconsin]
- Experience American family life and create lasting friendships through the International Friendship Program
- Conditional admission into the University without TOEFL for qualified students
- Enjoy studying on UWSP's safe, tranquil and scenic campus in Central Wisconsin
- About the ESL Program
- The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program was established in 1983 to provide intensive instruction to non-native speakers of English. The ESL Program's challenging, academically-based curriculum provides students with the academic abilities and language skills essential to succeed in American universities. While receiving high quality, caring instruction from professional instructors, students develop their listening/notetaking, reading, oral communication and writing/grammar skills in order to actively participate in University classes and American daily life. Students in the ESL Program receive a student identification card and gain full access to the University's library, computer laboratories with Internet access, and athletic facilities complete with a fitness center, swimming pools, tennis courts, and a climbing wall. The ESL Program is a proud member of EnglishUSA, the American Association of Intensive English Programs promoting professional standards and high-quality English programs.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1983
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA
Enrollment : 40
Average Class Size : 10
Student Adviser : YesAirport Pickup : Yes
Internet Access : Yes
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequent
Location : Rural
Transportation : Bus, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Greetings from Stevens Point!
Welcome to the ESL Program at the University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point on ApplyESL.com! As Interim Director of the ESL Program, I invite you to come and enjoy our nice and quiet community in the center of Wisconsin that offers the perfect environment to study, experience the outdoors and meet plenty of friendly people. The ESL Program is an intensive, academic program that helps prepare students for studies at an American college or university. We offer skill-oriented classes of four levels from intermediate to advanced. Successful completion of the ESL Program allows students to attend university classes at UWSP without having to submit a TOEFL score. Our students have access to all the facilities on campus: gyms, a cardio center and computer labs in all the academic buildings as well as most of the residence halls. This campus has a great foreign students office that creates a welcoming and supportive environment for all international students. The International Club with its 180 members of international and American students alike provides a home away from home and helps create wonderful ties to the community, as well.
We hope we might welcome you in person soon!
Interim Director, ESL Program
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- The ESL Program hosts more than 175 students from 20 different countries each year. Recently, students have come to the ESL Program from Korea (29%), Japan (17%), China (8%), Taiwan (5%), Thailand (5%), and other countries (36%).
- Faculty Qualifications
- ESL Program instructors are dedicated, warm and highly-qualified professionals. Each instructor has extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of all ESL Program instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to be sympathetic to the issues important to international students.
- While attending the ESL Program, students have the opportunity to live in on-campus residence halls where they can interact with native English speakers and possibly have American roommates. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities and other students – both American and international. The ESL Program requires its students under 21 years of age to live in on-campus residence halls unless they are married and traveling with their spouses or living with their parents. Students are encouraged to arrange housing as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Private off-campus apartments are available, however it is the students' responsibility to make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The University campus is located in Stevens Point, a safe and scenic community nestled in Central Wisconsin, in the heart of the Wisconsin River Valley and home to 36,000 residents. Recently ranked as one of the "Top 100 Places to Live" by Relocate-America.com, Stevens Point is a riverside city that blends together academia and historic sites with the surrounding natural beauty, creating an ideal place to live, study and play. Stevens Point's local attractions appeal to all tastes and preferences, from shopping among the quaint boutiques in the downtown historic district, and exploring the many museums and unique art galleries to visiting one of the oldest breweries in the U.S., the historic Stevens Point Brewery. Outdoor enthusiasts enjoy exploring the 24-mile Green Circle Trail along the Wisconsin and Plover Rivers, fishing and canoeing on nearby Lake DuBay, camping in Hartman Creek State Park, or golfing at Sentry World, ranked as one of Wisconsin's top three public golf courses. Stevens Point is located midway between the major Midwestern cities of Milwaukee and Minneapolis.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1894, University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point (UWSP) is a comprehensive public institution located in the heart of Wisconsin and is one of the 13 schools within the University of Wisconsin System. Consistently ranked one of the top ten public universities in the Midwest by the U.S. News & World Report, UWSP is comprised of 4 colleges and offers its students bachelor's degrees in over 50 areas of specialization and master's degrees in 11 fields. UWSP's vibrant residential 400-acre campus, including the 275-acre Schmeeckle Nature Reserve, is home to 8,700 undergraduate and graduate students from 35 American states and 32 different countries around the world, and 420 faculty members. Outside of the classroom, UWSP students are actively involved in more than 175 student clubs and organizations, including a student radio and television stations, a student newspaper and literary magazine, 22 club and intramural sports teams, multi-cultural clubs, and community service groups.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students (Undergraduate programs only). Academically-qualified students who have completed at least one or more classes with the ESL Program may be permitted to attend university courses part-time while completing their studies at the ESL Program.
English for Academic Purposes Program
- About This Course
- The English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program offers five 8-week sessions thoughtout the year. Students enrolled in the Program receive 20 hours per week of in-class instruction in order to meet their individual academic needs and prepare themselves for university life.
The Program offers 4 levels of English classes, from high-beginning to advanced. Upon students' arrival at the ESL Program, they are required to take English placement tests to help determine the level best-suited to their ability. A Certificate of Attendance is awarded to students who leave the Program prior to completing the entire program. Students who complete the Program's highest level of instruction are awarded a Certificate of Completion.
Students in all levels receive fundamental instruction in the areas of listening/notetaking, reading, and writing/grammar, as well as develop their oral communication skills through focused exercises and assignments. Academically-qualified students who have completed at least one or more classes at the ESL Program may be permitted to attend university courses part-time while completing their studies at the ESL Program. Outside of the classroom, tutors are available to work one-on-one with students free of charge. While attending the Program, students are encouraged to experience American culture firsthand by joining university groups and participating in campus activities.
Small, interactive classes are emphasized to ensure full student participation. Class sizes range from 12 to 15 students with an average of 10 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 12 - 15 students CLASS LEVELS: 4 levels COURSE LENGTH: 8 & 16 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 years old REQUIREMENT: High school diploma VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon request HOUSING: Dormitory/On-Campus Apartment
8 WEEKS: 10/30 - 12/19 8 WEEKS: 1/22 - 3/9 3/19 - 5/15 16 WEEKS: 1/22 - 5/15
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 100
- TUITION FEE (2017-2018)
8 WEEKS US $3,086 16 WEEKS US $6,171
- US$ 125
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 8 WEEKS N/A US $3,756 N/A 16 WEEKS N/A US $7,512 N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- Health Insurance
- US $715
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Stevens Point, Wisconsin
English as a Second Language (ESL) Program
University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point
1108 Fremont StreetRoom 020 SSC Stevens Point, Wisconsin 54481 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 3.8 School Environment: 4.4 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.8 Activities and Social Life: 3.6 Accommodation: 3.6
- There are 5 reviews for this school
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.