Eastern Washington University (EWU)
English Language Institute (ELI) [Cheney, Washington]
- ELI is an academic program with small class sizes, able to provide students a more personalized study experience.
- The university offers conditional admission at both the undergraduate and graduate level not requiring a TOEFL/IELTS score for students successfully completing their ELI studies.
- Students attending the ELI are able to use all university facilities such as the library, computer labs, recreational facilities and classrooms, centrally-located on campus, with the latest educational technology.
- About the ESL Program
- The ELI intensive English program is a performance-based, academically oriented ESL program focused on preparing international students for university study in the United States. The program has five levels of English proficiency from beginner to advanced level consisting of 10-15 hours of reading/writing/ grammar classes in the morning each week and 5-7 hours of listening/speaking instruction in the afternoon each week. There are four terms during the year: fall, winter, spring and summer. The terms last 11 weeks except summer, which is 8 weeks. Students may enter at the beginning of any term. Classes are small, averaging 8-16 students. Classrooms and ELI offices are located in the center of campus and equipped with the latest technology to insure student success. Advanced-level ELI classes can be taken for university credit. Conditional acceptance is available at the undergraduate level for those students completing the ELI and meeting university requirements. No TOEFL/IELTS score is required. The ELI also has a two-quarter Graduate Preparation Program which offers conditional acceptance into graduate study at EWU.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1979
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA, UCIEP / CEA
Enrollment : 50-100
Average Class Size : 8-16
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available from School
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Available Weekly
Location : Rural
Transportation : Bus, Train, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Hello! I’d like to invite you to come to the English Language Institute at Eastern Washington University for your English studies. The ELI has been around for over 35 years and during that time more than 4,000 students from over 50 countries have passed through our program, many of whom have gone on to complete their academic studies at Eastern Washington University and other universities across the U.S. Our highly-qualified faculty and staff have worked or studied in many countries around the world and have over 150 years of combined ESL teaching experience. We understand the importance of being the first step in your academic experience and are ready and willing to take on the role of preparing you for success in both your academic studies and student life in the U.S.
Director, English Language Institute (ELI)
Eastern Washington University (EWU)
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- The English Language Institute (ELI) has hosted students from countries all around the world. Since 1979 over 4,000 students from more than 50 countries have passed through the ELI.
- Faculty Qualifications
- ELI instructors are trained, fully-certified professionals possessing advanced degrees in ESL and education. Faculty have lived or studied in many countries such as Japan, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, Hong Kong, Holland, Spain, France, Germany, Russia, Niger, Zambia, Colombia, Mexico, Micronesia, and Saudi Arabia. The academic and personal qualities of the instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- While attending the school, ELI students have the option to live in on-campus dormitories or off-campus residences. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities, and other students – both American and international. For students who prefer a more independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the campus environment. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as soon as possible due to the limited amount of space available. The school may provide information about private off-campus apartments; however, it is the students’ responsibility to make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- Eastern Washington University (EWU) is located in Cheney, Washington, a small town of about 12,000 residents in eastern Washington. Cheney provides students with a very safe and secure environment to study in. It is about 20 minutes by car from Spokane, Washington, a larger metropolitan area which has a wide variety of shopping, restaurants, and entertainment. Cheney is also just one hour by plane from Seattle, Washington, or Portland, Oregon. There are many outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, biking and many watersports on the beautiful, clean local lakes and rives. In the winter, there is skiing or snowshoeing in the surrounding mountains. It is within a day’s drive of several scenic national parks such as Yellowstone National Park, Glacier National Park, North Cascades National Park and Olympic National Park.
- About the College/University
- Eastern Washington University is a regional comprehensive public university offering over 100 bachelor’s programs, 35 master’s programs and 1 applied doctoral program. The university occupies 330 acres in a park-like setting with rolling wheat fields just steps from campus. The classrooms employ state-of-the-art technology with multiple computer labs throughout campus. Class sizes average between 20 and 25 students so there is easy access to university instructors. Student success is a core value of the university with many support services available to students such as the Writers’ Center, Learning Commons in JFK Library, or e-tutoring in many different content areas. Housing is available both on and off campus. International students on campus have an opportunity to live in EWU’s Global Connections Living Learning Community. There are also many social activities, clubs, and organizations students can be involved in to create a vibrant campus life.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Students in the advanced level (Level 5) may earn University credit by taking ELI classes such as Writing for Academic Purposes, Reading for Academic Purposes, University Seminar and Research Paper. Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students who complete the ESL program. No TOEFL score is required.
Intensive English Course (IEP)
- About This Course
- The ELI intensive English program is a performance-based, academically oriented ESL program focused on preparing international students for university study in the United States. While the lower levels focus more on general English skills, as the students advance into the upper levels of the program, there is more focus on learning English for Academic Purposes (EAP). The program has five levels of English proficiency from beginner to advanced level consisting of 10-15 hours of reading/writing/ grammar classes in the morning and 5-7 hours of listening/speaking instruction in the afternoon.
The morning classes focus on reading, writing, and grammar. Often part of the lesson may be based on homework that the students were required to do the evening before. Homework is an essential part of the curriculum at the ELI and students generally spend several hours a day working on homework assignments. While there is some lecturing in the classes, during much of the class period students work in pairs or groups when engaged in classroom activities. So, even in reading, writing or grammar class, there will also be a fair amount of speaking being done by students.
In the afternoon classes the students work on their speaking and listening skills. An important goal of this study is to enable the students to be able to take part in classroom discussions and take notes on university lectures after they enter the university. At the upper-intermediate to advanced levels, once or twice a quarter guest lecturers from the university are invited into the classroom to give students an opportunity to experience “real-life” university lectures. For much of the listening homework, students utilize the university-wide on-line learning platform, Canvas, which they will later use for their regular university classes.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 8 - 16 Students CLASS LEVELS: 5 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 8, 11 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 Years Old REQUIREMENT: N/A VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Admission HOUSING: Dormitory or On-Campus Apartment
11 WEEKS: 4/2 - 6/16 6/25 - 8/18
- APPLICATION FEE
- TUITION FEE (2017-2018)
8 WEEKS US$ 3,800 11 WEEKS US$ 3,800
- US$ 40
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 8 WEEKS N/A US$ 3,421 Contact ELI 11 WEEKS N/A US$ 3,421 Contact ELI
- Airport Pickup Service
- Free (Send Arrival Information to School)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Cheney, Washington
Eastern Washington University
English Language Institute
129 Patterson Hall Cheney, Washington 99004 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 4.5 School Environment: 4.5 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.5 Activities and Social Life: 3.5 Accommodation: 3.5
- There are 2 reviews for this school
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ Taipei, Taiwan, Age 28, Male ] 2009/3/5
It's a good place for studying.
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.