Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO)
Intensive English Program (IEP) [Cape Girardeau, Missouri]
- Conditional Admission available for undergraduate school and some graduate programs
- Practice your English and make American friends through Conversation Partners, Coffee Hour, and other social activities
- Enjoy living in a safe and charming college town in the heart of the U.S.
- About the ESL Program
- The Intensive English Program (IEP) at Southeast Missouri State University was established in 1978. The IEP prepares English language learners for success in undergraduate or graduate study through high-quality instruction in the English language. In addition to coursework in reading, writing, listening, speaking, and grammar, the IEP offers training in the linguistic skills, cultural awareness, and critical thinking skills necessary to succeed at a U.S. university. Outside of class, the IEP provides free tutoring and a graded library for English learners, conversation partners and cultural workshops, and a variety of social activities. IEP students also enjoy the rich culture of the Southeast Missouri State University community, including access to the university library, recreation center, campus health center, computer labs, cultural activities, student organizations, and sporting events. The IEP is accredited by CEA (The Commission on English Language Program Accreditation) and is a proud member of EnglishUSA (AAIEP), both of which promote professional standards and quality instruction in intensive English programs.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1978
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA / CEA
Enrollment : 80-130
Average Class Size : 10
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Rural
Transportation : Bus, Train, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Thank you for visiting our profile on ApplyESL.com. The Intensive English Program (IEP) is located in the friendly and safe city of Cape Girardeau, Missouri. Our beautiful campus is near the Mississippi River, the largest river in North America. IEP students study on the campus of Southeast Missouri State University, and enjoy all of Southeast’s social, cultural, and sporting events, as well as all campus facilities including the library, computer labs, and recreation center. IEP teachers are qualified, experienced, and friendly; we’ll help you improve your English skills while you learn about American culture and prepare for university study. Our small classes, caring staff, and fun activities will help you feel comfortable and learn English quickly. Please contact us to learn more. I hope to see you in Missouri soon!
Southeast Missouri State University
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- Southeast Missouri State University hosts students from countries all around the world.
- Faculty Qualifications
- IEP instructors are trained, fully-certified professionals. Many instructors have lived and traveled abroad and have extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of the instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- All students at Southeast Missouri State University must live on campus for two years unless they are married or 21 years old. Our residence halls exist not only to house the students, but also to serve them. Each hall offers cable television, high-speed internet access, microwaves, laundry and vending facilities, mail service, refrigerator rental and a service desk. Programs exist to help students succeed academically and have a great experience while doing it. Students are encouraged to complete the housing contract before arrive to reserve their preferred residence hall. After two years of living on campus, students may choose to move off campus. The school may provide information about private off-campus housing; however, it is the students’ responsibility to make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- Cape Girardeau, Missouri sits on the banks of the Mississippi River, the largest river in North America. This historic community has a long and rich history and is home to nearly 80,000 people. Cape Girardeau is a friendly and safe college town that offers a variety of shopping and dining options, museums, concerts, natural parks and cultural events. You can experience all four seasons with a distinct spring, summer, fall, and winter. The clean and peaceful atmosphere is perfect for studying, and when you’re ready to explore, Cape Girardeau’s ideal location near the center of the U.S. makes travel in every direction convenient. Nearby cities include St. Louis, Missouri (193 km), Chicago, Illinois (597 km), Memphis, Tennessee (277 km), and Nashville, Tennessee (327 km).
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1873, Southeast Missouri State University has a proud history of excellence in education. Today, the university is accredited by AACSB, ABET, and NIBS, to name a few, and named as the Best in the Midwest by the U.S. News World & Report and Princeton Review.
More than 12,000 students from all over the United States and from more than 50 countries around the world call Southeast home. The best thing about Southeast is that you can find the variety of program choices and resources that you'd find at a big university, but you get the personal support of a smaller school. The university offers over 200 nationally and internationally accredited programs of study including bachelors and master’s degrees and a cooperative Ed.D. More than 90 percent of Southeast students take advantage of real-world experiences through internships, clinical opportunities, student teaching, research assistantships, studying abroad and other learning opportunities outside the classroom. With 13 residence hall options, 180 student organizations, multiple leadership academies and an entire campus devoted to the arts, you’ll enjoy being part of this exciting community.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students.
Intensive English Program (IEP)
- About This Course
- IEP courses are taught in five eight-week sessions during the year, beginning in August, October, January, March, and June. Additionally, a four-week special topics session is offered in May. After completing the undergraduate IEP requirements, graduate students will study in the Graduate Conditional Acceptance Program (Grad CAP), which is taught in one full sixteen-week semester beginning in either August or January.
The IEP provides undergraduate students with instruction in 8 levels, from beginning to advanced, Students study reading, writing, grammar, listening, and speaking for over 20 hours each week. Individual placements will help students move quickly through the program as they practice each skill at exactly the right level. In Grad CAP, students study the literacy, research, and communication skills necessary for success in graduate coursework.
Our average class size is ten students, ideal for language study.
The IEP also offers activities to help students meet new international and American friends, learn about U.S. culture, practice English, and have fun! Students enjoy coffee hours, parties for holidays and birthdays, field trips, and cultural workshops.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 10 Students CLASS LEVELS: 8 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 8,16 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 Years Old REQUIREMENT: None VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Admission HOUSING: On-Campus Residence
8 WEEKS: 3/17 - 5/10 6/5 - 7/31
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 40
- TUITION FEE (2018-2019)
8 WEEKS US$ 3,093 16 WEEKS US$ 6,187
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 8 WEEKS N/A US$ 1,545 N/A 16 WEEKS N/A US$ 3,090 N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- US$ 70-130 (Lambert St. Louis International Airport)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Intensive English Program
Southeast Missouri State University
One University Plaza, MS 2040 Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
- There are 0 reviews for this school
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.