St. John's University (SJU)
The Language Connection (TLC): English Language Institute (ELI) [New York, New York]
- No TOEFL required with completion of the English Language Institute for admission to undergraduate and selected graduate programs at St. John’s University
- Choice of two program locations: Manhattan or Queens
- Participate in program extras such as conversation partners, excursions, university and community activities to increase your language skills
- About the ESL Program
- The English Language Institute (ELI) at The Language Connection of St. John’s University promotes international education and global understanding. The mission of the ELI is to provide learners with quality language instruction, while helping them gain the academic skills and cultural knowledge necessary for success in academic programs at St. John’s University and other academic institutions, and in their future professional and personal lives. The ELI makes every effort to provide students with the best possible learning environment, including the most effective teaching methods and instructional materials, the latest technology, and modern classroom and living facilities. The ELI connects students to the real world by focusing on the English skills they need to communicate effectively in academic, business, or personal settings. The program’s classes are new and fresh, and aim to help all students achieve their goals. In addition to high-quality classes, the ELI offers many program extras including trips and activities around New York City to see the sights and experience the culture of the city, conversation partners who help students to improve their speaking and listening skills, and free student workshops on topics important to students preparing for degree course work.
Type : Private University
Establishment : 1992
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA / Middle States
Enrollment : 100
Average Class Size : 15
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Student Arranged
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Urban
Transportation : Bus, Taxi, Subway
- A Message from School
- Hello from New York City!
Thank you for your interest in our English Language Institute.
Our new, innovative courses connect the classroom to the real world, focusing on the English skills you will need to communicate effectively in academic and professional settings. In our classes, we use up-to-date technology tools to talk about topics of interest, help you write clearly, and improve your comprehension. Our students come from around the world and get experience interacting with university professors, students, staff, and New Yorkers to prepare for their undergraduate or graduate studies or the work world. Our two campuses, Manhattan and Queens, allow you to choose the best fit for your needs as well. Our methods – like our materials – are new and fresh, and are specially designed to help you achieve your goals. All of this happens in the heart of New York City—a great place to study English!
Executive Director, The Language Connection
St. John’s University
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- The English Language Institute at St. John’s University hosts students from over 30 countries around the world.
- Faculty Qualifications
- ELI instructors are trained professionals with master’s degrees. Many instructors have lived and traveled abroad and have extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of the instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- The ELI at The Language Connection of St. John’s University provides students with the opportunity to live in on-campus dormitories, off-campus residences, or enjoy a homestay experience. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities and other students. For students who prefer a more independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the campus environment. The school also arranges homestays for those students who want to experience local culture first-hand as a member of a family and practice their conversational English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Private off-campus apartments are also available; however students must make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The English Language Institute has two locations within New York City for students to choose from. Students can choose either Manhattan or Queens. For students who want to be in the heart of New York City, the Manhattan location has high-tech classrooms, an excellent library and bright and open study areas. This campus is convenient to all mass transportation, world-class museums, Wall Street, TriBeCa and SoHo. For students who want more of a university campus experience, the Queens location includes a large campus located in one of New York City’s five boroughs. Here there are several academic buildings, 8 residence halls, athletic facilities, and the university library. The Queens campus features stone buildings and student residence halls. Facilities include laboratory and classroom buildings, the main collections of the library, and athletic facilities for both students and St. John’s athletic teams. This campus has ultramodern dormitories and superb athletic facilities. Students will also be able to cheer on the popular sports teams of St. John’s University. Queens is proud to be the county with the greatest ethnic and racial diversity in the entire United States. For students who prefer both a university experience and a “small-town” feel. New York City is a globally unique environment which offers students a wonderful opportunity to experience a wide range of languages and cultures in the area. Students can see a Broadway musical, visit the world-famous Statue of Liberty, take pictures atop the Empire State Building, watch a performance at the Metropolitan Opera, tour the United Nations, take a walk through Central Park, or view famous art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Food, theater, shopping and whatever you do or wherever you go in New York, the city provides an exhilarating experience.
- About the College/University
- St. John’s University is a private university which was founded in 1870. The university has multiple campuses both in the United States and in Europe. St. John’s offers over 100 programs of study in Business, Education, Health Sciences, Liberal Arts and Sciences and Professional Studies. Total enrollment in both undergraduate and graduate degree programs is over 20,000 with students coming from most of the United States and 116 countries around the world. Amongst schools across the United States, St. John’s has been ranked in the 1st tier of American universities and also has been listed as one of the top colleges in the country which is most likely to help students find a career and profession that is growing, pays well and offers a high level of satisfaction. The main campus of St. John’s University is located in the neighborhood of Jamaica in the Borough of Queens of New York City.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students. Academically qualified students who have been conditionally admitted to the University and successfully complete the English Language Institute may begin the degree program of their choice. Completion of level 8 required for undergraduate conditional admission; completion of level 10 required for graduate conditional admission.
Full-Time Intensive Program
- About This Course
- The full-time intensive program at St. John’s University’s English Language Institute provides students with a deep language immersion experience and 18-21 hours of instruction per week, on either of our Manhattan or Queens campuses . The program focuses on helping students to communicate in the real world, whether the goal is academic advancement, business success or improving English abilities in social situations. The full-iime intensive program uses up-to-date technology tools to assist students in talking about current topics, writing clear, organized emails and essays, and improving overall comprehension of conversations and lectures. Courses offered include Critical Reading, Effective Writing, Dynamic Listening, Confident Speaking and Pronunciation. These courses go beyond listening, speaking, reading and writing, incorporating online activities, such as reading news articles, watching new reports, viewing YouTube and movie clips, writing e-mails and sharing opinions on a blog or social network. The English Language Institute is also a pathway to admission where international students who are preparing to apply to university but have not taken the TOEFL test may be conditionally admitted and begin the degree program of their choice after successfully completing the ELI. Students interested in conditional admission are encouraged to contact the ELI after applying.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 15 Students CLASS LEVELS: 10 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 7,14,21,28 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 Years Old REQUIREMENT: N/A VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Request HOUSING: On-Campus Residence
7 WEEKS: 5/11 - 6/22 6/28 - 8/17 8/30 - 10/18 10/25 - 12/13
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 0
- TUITION FEE (2017)
7 WEEKS US$ 1,890 14 WEEKS US$ 3,780 21 WEEKS US$ 5,670 28 WEEKS US$ 7,560
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 7-28 WEEKS US$ 980-1900 Per Month US$ 1000-1750 Per Month US$ 1300-2500 Per Month
- Airport Pickup Service
- Student Arranged (Taxi, Bus or Car Service)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Queens, New York
St. John's University
The Language Connection
English Language Institute (ELI)
8000 Utopia Parkway New York, New York 11439 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
- There are 0 reviews for this school
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.