Intensive English Language Program (IELP) [Philadelphia, Pennsylvania]
- IELP has offered intensive English programs for non-native speakers for over 40 years
- Conditional and Provisional admission to Temple University offered for qualified students
- Located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the fifth-largest city in the United States
- About the ESL Program
- Temple University (#118 Best Colleges, U.S. News & World Report) and its Intensive English Language Program (IELP) attract students from all over the world (128 countries in 2016) to the historic city of Philadelphia: America’s first World Heritage City. You can experience the city’s artistic and historic attractions as well as its many restaurants. You can also enjoy the excellent educational resources available at one of America’s top research universities and the many cultural experiences available on and near campus.
Founded in 1974, Temple’s IELP has a long tradition of helping non-native speakers build their reading, writing and speaking skills in English. Sessions offered six times per year, and Short-Term programs offered seasonally, allow students to begin their studies when it is convenient for them. The IELP also offers Access Temple for students admitted conditionally to Temple University.
Whichever program you select, you will have the opportunity to participate in excursions to nearby destinations such as New York City; Washington, D.C.; the beach town of Ocean City, New Jersey; and the Pocono Mountains.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1974
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA / MSCHE
Enrollment : 350
Average Class Size : 16
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available from School
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Urban
Transportation : Bus, Train, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Greetings from Temple University’s Intensive English Language Program! Students find a warm, welcoming staff and experienced instructors at Temple’s IELP. We care deeply that our students learn the English they need to reach their goals and also enjoy the cultural opportunities that study abroad provides for them. Located on Temple University’s main campus in Philadelphia, students in the IELP benefit from Temple resources and facilities, such as a state-of-the-art Tech Center, recreation center and library system. Join our community of learners from all over the world in the classroom, on excursions in and around Philadelphia, and on trips to New York City, Washington D.C., or Ocean City, NJ. We can’t wait to meet you!
Intensive English Language Program
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- Temple University prides itself on the rich diversity on campus, with students from more than 128 countries.
- Faculty Qualifications
- Students in Temple’s IELP are responsible for their own housing (except for select Short-Term Programs), but our staff is happy to help you find the right fit. We recommend students take advantage of homestay, the opportunity to live and practice your English every day with an American family. Students can also choose to live in off-campus student apartments near Temple University’s campus or in another one of Philadelphia’s vibrant neighborhoods.
- Students at Temple’s IELP may live in off-campus residences or enjoy a homestay experience. For students who prefer an independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the school environment. A number of these residences are conveniently located right next to Temple’s campus. The IELP also arranges homestays for those students who want to experience local culture first-hand as a member of a family and practice their conversational English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible. For more information and assistance finding housing, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- Temple University is located in historic Philadelphia, the fifth-largest city in the United States. 1.5 million people call it home. Philadelphia was the United States' first capital. Today, the city is rich in culture, history, art, nature, shopping, and entertainment. Students can attend music performances, cheer on professional sports teams, explore famous museums, visit historical sites, shop at trendy boutiques, and much, much more! Philadelphia is located between New York and Washington, D.C., and within easy travel distance to Boston, Baltimore, and the Atlantic Ocean beaches. Join the IELP on one its many excursions to local and regional attractions.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1884, Temple University is a public university located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania that includes 17 schools and colleges, nine campuses, more than 140 degree offerings and 39,000 students. In addition to its multiple campuses in the United States, Temple also has international campuses in Rome, Tokyo, Singapore and London. Temple is the 38th largest university in the United States and the 4th largest provider of professional education in the country.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to Temple University is available for qualified students who complete the IELP’s Access Temple program. Students with a TOEFL score (iBT: 65-78) are eligible. Students in the Access Temple Conditional Admission Program take credit courses while improving their English. Provisional Admission is also available for academically qualified students whose English score is not high enough for Conditional Admission.
Intensive English Language Program (IELP)
- About This Course
- The Intensive English Language Program (IELP) offers courses at all proficiency levels from beginner to advanced. Classes focus on improving reading, writing, listening and speaking skills in English.
The reading class is designed to help students improve both reading speed and comprehension and helps prepare students for coursework that they may expect when attending university classes.
The IELP’s writing class assists students in understanding academic material and helps them become familiar with academic writing techniques.
The listening/speaking class focuses on fluency, pronunciation and vocabulary development.
In addition to the core classes offered, students choose from a variety of enrichment classes that provide targeted instruction on particular skills such as grammar, TOEFL preparation, and presentation skills. The IELP also offers students short courses which focus on speaking fluency and cultural competence. Learn about American movies and television, public art in Philadelphia, American games, or idioms and slang. An added benefit of the Short Course is that is provides language learners opportunities to interact with teachers, classmates and people in the city.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 16 Students CLASS LEVELS: 12 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 7,14,21,28 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 Years Old REQUIREMENT: High School Graduate VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Request HOUSING: Homestay
7 WEEKS: 8/28 - 10/20Apply by 7/28 10/23 - 12/15Apply by 9/22 14 WEEKS: 8/28 - 12/15Apply by 7/28 10/23 - 3/2Apply by 9/22 21 WEEKS: 8/28 - 3/2Apply by 7/28 10/23 - 4/27Apply by 9/22
28 WEEKS: 8/28 - 4/27Apply by 7/28 10/23 - 6/22Apply by 9/22 7 WEEKS: 1/8 - 3/2Apply by 12/8 3/5 - 4/27Apply by 2/5 4/30 - 6/22Apply by 3/28 6/25 - 8/17Apply by 5/25 8/27 - 10/19Apply by 7/27 10/22 - 12/14Apply by 9/22 14 WEEKS: 1/8 - 4/27Apply by 12/8 3/5 - 6/22Apply by 2/5 4/30 - 8/17Apply by 3/28 6/25 - 10/19Apply by 5/25 8/27 - 12/14Apply by 7/27 21 WEEKS: 1/8 - 6/22Apply by 12/8 3/5 - 8/17Apply by 2/5 4/30 - 10/19Apply by 3/28 6/25 - 12/14Apply by 5/25 28 WEEKS: 1/8 - 8/17Apply by 12/8 3/5 - 10/19Apply by 2/5 4/30 - 12/14Apply by 3/28
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 100
- TUITION FEE (2017-2018)
7 WEEKS US$ 2,875 14 WEEKS US$ 5,451 21 WEEKS US$ 8,326 28 WEEKS US$ 11,201
- US$ 285 (Homestay ONLY)
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 7-28 WEEKS US$ 868 Per Month N/A US$ 600 - 1300 Per Month
- Airport Pickup Service
- Free Airport Pickup Provided - Send Arrival Details to School
- Student Services Fee
- US$ 200 (Per Session)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Intensive English Language Program (IELP)
1415 North Broad Street, Suite 229 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19122 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 3.0 School Environment: 5.0 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.0 Activities and Social Life: 5.0 Accommodation: 4.0
- There are 1 reviews for this school
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ Kuwait City, Kuwait, Age 18, Female ] 2017/3/6
1 of 2 people found the following review helpful.Nice ExperienceStudying at the IELP was a nice experience and it helped me to overcome 'culture shock' and the homesickness. People at IELP from employees, students workers, to teachers were all so friendly, Moreover, the weekly trips and events were so much fun. I felt that they taught me how to live in the US.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.