Queens College (CUNY)
English Language Institute (ELI) [Queens, New York]
- The ELI at Queens College, one of the oldest English language schools in the United States, has trained more than 35,000 ESL students from 47 countries.
- A large number of ELI students go on to study at CUNY and other colleges, universities, and professional schools.
- Queens College is located in New York City on a beautiful and spacious campus in Queens, New York, just 10 miles outside of Manhattan.
- About the ESL Program
- The mission of the English Language Institute (ELI) at Queens College is to support overall language development for students who intend to enter or continue their studies at an American university at the undergraduate or graduate level. Established in 1945, the ELI at Queens College is the oldest English language school in the City University of New York (CUNY) and one of the oldest in the United States. All faculty members are uniquely qualified and possess graduate degrees in applied linguistics and/or teaching English as a second language. Classes are conducted using a student-centered, communicative language learning approach, balancing listening and speaking, reading and writing, grammar in context, pronunciation, and academic development. By developing levels of English proficiency at ELI, students enhance their academic, business, professional, social communication, and test-taking skills. ELI also offers PATH, which provides academically qualified students with the option of conditional admission to Queens College. A large number of students who attend ELI go on to study at CUNY or at other colleges, universities, and professional schools in the USA.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1945
Membership/Accreditation : MSCHE
Enrollment : 300
Average Class Size : 17
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Student Arranged
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Urban
Transportation : Bus, Taxi, Train
- A Message from School
- Welcome to the English Language Institute (ELI) at Queens College (QC)! Established in 1945, we are the oldest English language school in the City University of New York (CUNY) system and the second oldest in the entire United States. If you need to learn English to carry out your study and career plans, the ELI at QC will help you. Our school provides intensive and well-rounded training in English as a second language, creating a solid foundation for success. We have trained more than 35,000 ESL students from 47 countries. We look forward to receiving your application from ApplyESL.com!
English Language Institute (ELI)
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- The ELI hosts an average of 500 students each year. Recently, students come to the ELI from Asia, South and Central America, the Middle East, Europe, Africa and other countries from around the world.
- Faculty Qualifications
- The instructors are trained, fully-certified professionals. Many instructors have lived and traveled abroad and have extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of the instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- While attending the ELI, students can experience living on-campus in University provided apartments. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities, and other students - both American and international. Students are encouraged to apply for housing as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. The ELI may provide students with information about private off-campus accomodations, however, it is the students' responsibility to make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- Queens College is located on an 80-acre, tree-lined campus in Queens, New York, just 10 miles outside of Manhattan. Students who attend the ELI enjoy a peaceful academic setting with all of the resources of a major college. Queens is a borough of New York City and is proud to be the county with the greatest ethnic and racial diversity in the entire United States. This globally unique environment offers students a wonderful opportunity to experience a wide range of languages and cultures in the area, and with a short ride on public transportation, students can explore everything there is to enjoy in Manhattan as well. Students can see a Broadway musical, visit the world-famous Statue of Liberty, take pictures atop the Empire State Building, watch a performance at the Metropolitan Opera, tour the United Nations, take a walk through Central Park, or view famous art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Food, theater, shopping and whatever you do or wherever you go in New York, the city provides an exhilarating experience.
- About the College/University
- Queens College is one of the 24 campuses which make up the City University of New York (CUNY). The College provides its students with an excellent education for a modest price and has consistently been rated as one of the best valued educations in the country. In addition, the school has been listed as one of the 10 best Public Regional Universities in the north because of its many undergraduate and graduate programs. Founded in 1937, Queens College has a current enrollment of close to 19,000 students and with over 600 full-time faculty, offers a rigorous education in the liberal arts and sciences under the guidance of a faculty dedicated to both teaching and research. Students graduate with the ability to think critically, address complex problems, explore various cultures, and use modern technologies and information resources. Queens College has students from more than 150 nations that speak more than 90 languages. The College has state-of-the-art computer and science laboratories, a spectacular music building, and a six-story library. Academic programs are organized into four divisions: Arts and Humanities; Mathematics and the Natural Sciences; the Social Sciences; and Education. Queens College educates more teachers than any other college in the New York City region. The college awards bachelor’s and master’s degrees in over 170 academic areas.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students who complete the ESL program.
Full-Time English Language Program
- About This Course
- Established in 1945, the English Language Institute (ELI) at Queens College is a comprehensive academic program for learning English as a second language. The ELI is university-governed and is included within the scope of Queens College of the City University of New York’s accreditation, affirmed by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The Full-Time English Program provides 7 levels of intensive, well-rounded English instruction and practice, whether the student’s goals are academic or for professional and career development. Classes are offered four times a year in the spring, summer and fall. In the fall and spring, students attend class 18 hours a week for approximately 15 weeks. In the summer, students attend classes 24 hours a week. Summer session one is 4.5 weeks in duration and summer session two is 6.5 weeks long. All students enrolled in the full-time English language program take a placement exam on the first day of class which will help place the student in the level most suitable to the student’s abilities. The program focuses on listening, speaking, reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary, test-taking strategies and pronunciation. All students who complete the program are awarded a Certificate of Attendance. Students not currently in the United States and interested in applying to Queens College for undergraduate or post-graduate studies may want to consider the PATH program which allows academically qualified students to be conditionally admitted to the college after studying at the ELI and meeting the English language requirement.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 17 Students CLASS LEVELS: 7 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 4.5, 6.5, 15 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 Years Old REQUIREMENT: N/A VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Request HOUSING: On-Campus Residence
4 WEEKS: 5/31 - 6/28 6 WEEKS: 7/5 - 8/16 15 WEEKS: 1/23 - 5/16
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 150
- TUITION FEE (2018)
4.5 WEEKS US$ 1,107 (*$988) 6.5 WEEKS US$ 1,597 (*$1,429) 15 WEEKS US$ 2,724 (*$2,452)
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 15 WEEKS Arranged by Student US$ 5,665-7,105 Semester Arranged by Student
- Airport Pickup Service
- Student Arranged (Taxi, Bus or Car Service)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Queens, New York
English Language Institute (ELI)
Kissena Hall, Room 10064-19 Kissena Blvd. Queens, New York 11367-1597 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
- There are 0 reviews for this school
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.