Georgia State University (GSU)
Intensive English Program (IEP) [Atlanta, Georgia]
- Georgia State University offers conditional admission to qualified undergraduate-level applicants
- The IEP at GSU is a highly regarded CEA-accredited program in the state of Georgia
- Atlanta is a world-class cosmopolitan city and a major center in the southeastern United States
- About the ESL Program
- The Intensive English Program (IEP) at Georgia State University, founded in 1998, provides non-native English speakers with opportunities to develop the language skills and cultural understanding necessary to be successful at an American university. The IEP is known as an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program which means that the entire program, including courses, activities and assignments, are designed to prepare students for the demands of university work. Courses are offered five days a week covering the essential skill areas of academic writing, process writing and grammar, intensive reading, extensive reading, and oral communication and fluency. IEP has five levels with students at the beginning and low-intermediate levels focusing on developing primary English skills and students at the intermediate and advanced levels reading, discussing and writing about topics from academic courses. All students are required, upon arrival, to take a placement exam which includes sections on grammar, reading comprehension, listening comprehension and writing. Students are also interviewed during orientation to determine their oral communication skills. IEP has full accreditation from CEA (The Commission on English Language Program Accreditation) and is a proud member of UCIEP (University and College Intensive English Programs), an independent consortium of university and college-administered intensive English Programs in the United States, and AAIEP (The American Association of Intensive English Programs) which promote professional standards and quality instruction in intensive English programs.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1998
Membership/Accreditation : UCIEP, EnglishUSA / CEA
Enrollment : 160
Average Class Size : 15
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available
Internet Access : On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Urban
Transportation : Bus, Train, Subway
- A Message from School
- Greetings!! We’re so excited that you are considering studying English at Georgia State University’s Intensive English Program (IEP)! Whether you plan to continue your degree studies at GSU or want to continue at another university, our program will help you adjust to American academic life. The IEP at GSU simulates the academic environment, including the weekly schedule and types of tasks you’ll be doing in your academic courses. While covering the essential skill areas of academic writing, reading, and oral communication, you’ll also study content areas such as social science, American government and history, psychology, and marketing. If you are accepted to GSU as an undergraduate and complete the IEP, you can move directly to undergraduate studies at Georgia State University without further language proficiency testing or classes. As an IEP student, you will enjoy access to the entire range of technology available at Georgia State University, such as computers, up-to-date libraries, free tutoring, and the language lab. Studying in Atlanta, the capital of the state of Georgia, you will also benefit from all the perks of living in an international city that is the leading financial, retail, industrial, and communications center in the southeastern United States. We look forward to receiving your application from ApplyESL.com!
Alison Camacho, Director
Intensive English Program
Georgia State University
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- IEP hosts students from around the world every year. Recently, students have come to the program from Middle East (35%), Asia (35%), Africa (15%) South America (6%) and Europe (5%).
- Faculty Qualifications
- IEP instructors are trained, fully-certified professionals. Many instructors have lived and traveled abroad and have extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of the instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- IEP provides students with the opportunity to live in on-campus dormitories, off-campus residences, or enjoy a homestay experience. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities and other students. For students who prefer a more independent lifestyle, off-campus residences provide more privacy and offer opportunities to interact with people in the community outside the campus environment. The school also arranges homestays for those students who want to experience local culture first-hand as a member of a family and practice their conversational English. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Private off-campus apartments are also available; however students must make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- Georgia State University and the Intensive English Program are located in the heart of downtown Atlanta, Georgia. Atlanta is the capital of Georgia and a world-class, modern city with a rich history. It is an international city where many students from all over the world come to study. With a population of 5 million in the metropolitan area, Atlanta is the largest city in the state and has a moderate climate which enables students to enjoy many outdoor activities such as mountain hiking and picnicking in local parks. Another benefit of the region is that it has an affordable cost of living compared with many other large cities in the United States. The city is convenient for those coming from around the world as the main airport is considered the primary transportation hub in the Southeastern United States. Atlanta is the leading financial, retail, industrial and communications center in the southeastern United States. With an increasing number of residents coming from other parts of the United States, the city is one of the most multi-cultural in the country. With more than 30 colleges and universities, Atlanta is considered a major center for higher education. Students can find many social and cultural opportunities such as art and music festivals, museums, theaters, professional sporting events, amusement parks and historical attractions.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1913, Georgia State University is the largest university in the Atlanta metropolitan area and the second largest in the state of Georgia. Located in the heart of downtown Atlanta, GSU has a total enrollment of more than 35,000 students from all over the United States and more than 160 countries. The university offers 55 undergraduate and graduate degree programs with 250 major fields of study and is on the list of the top 100 public universities for doctoral degrees awarded. GSU consists of eight colleges including the College of Arts and Sciences, J.Mack Robinson College of Business, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Byrdine F. Lewis School of Nursing and Health Professions, College of Education, College of Law, Honors College, and the Institute of Public Health.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students who complete the ESL program. No TOEFL score is required.
Intensive English Program
- About This Course
- Georgia State University’s Intensive English Program offers three sessions during the fall, spring and summer semesters. The fall and spring semesters are 14 weeks with 18 hours of class per week and the summer semester is 10 weeks with 25 hours of class per week.
The Intensive English Program offers classes for 5 levels of proficiency, from Beginning to Advanced. The IEP curriculum’s aim is to prepare students for university academic study. IEP courses include academic tasks such as essay exams and research papers and as well as the teaching of important note-taking and test-taking skills that will greatly help students to develop their language and overall study skills. Beginning level students should possess a basic knowledge of English and the highest level of students will be prepared to begin their degree study at a college or university. Five courses are offered at each level. Structure and Composition courses meet for six hours a week and courses in oral communication, oral fluency, reading and listening skills and academic writing meet for the remaining three hours of class each week. Conditional admission for undergraduates is available for qualifying students and many IEP students can enter university undergraduate degree programs while they are finishing IEP courses. These students at IEP are called bridge students and must complete IEP classes at Level 5.
All students enrolled in the Intensive English Program are encouraged to participate in activities outside of class. Community-based activities provide a variety of opportunities for students to practice speaking English with fellow students, people from Atlanta and people from around the United States. Extracurricular activities will also enable IEP students to learn more about American culture and values and make friends as well.
Class sizes range from 10 to 18 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 15 Students CLASS LEVELS: 5 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 10, 14 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 Years Old REQUIREMENT: High School Diploma VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Request HOUSING: Dormitory/On-Campus Apartment
10 WEEKS: 5/7 - 7/23Apply by 4/9
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 125
- TUITION FEE (2017-2018)
10 WEEKS US$ 3,456 14 WEEKS US$ 3,456
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 10 WEEKS US$ 800-1,000 Month US$ 800-1,000 Month US$ 500-800 Month 14 WEEKS US$ 800-1,000 Month US$ 800-1,000 Month US$ 500-800 Month
- Airport Pickup Service
- Student Arranged - Contact School for Options
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Atlanta, Georgia
Intensive English Program
Department of Applied Linguistics & ESL
Georgia State University
34 Peachtree Street Atlanta, Georgia 30302-4099 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 5.0 School Environment: 4.0 Helpfulness of Staff: 5.0 Activities and Social Life: 5.0 Accommodation: 2.0
- There are 1 reviews for this school
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.