Oklahoma State University
English Language Institute (ELI) [Stillwater, Oklahoma]
- The ELI has been described by reviewers as "exemplary" and a "model university program."
- In 2013, OSU was selected by The Princeton Review as one of the 75 Best Value Colleges.
- The friendly Stillwater community has been recognized as "Dream Town, USA - #6 Best Small City in America."
- About the ESL Program
- Established in 1970, the English Language Institute (ELI) at Oklahoma State University is an intensive program designed to help international students achieve the English proficiency essential to enter an American college or university. It is also suitable for individuals wishing to learn English for personal or professional purposes. The ELI is housed in the beautiful Wes Watkins Center, a state-of-the-art facility that is a hub of international activity on the OSU campus. Many workshops, seminars, lectures and global briefings are held in the building throughout the year, thus providing ELI students excellent opportunities to meet with guests from the OSU and Stillwater communities, government officials, and representatives of business and industry. ELI students have full access to OSU facilities and enjoy using the Edmon Low Library, the Student Union, the University Hospital, the fitness center, and university computer labs. The ELI is a proud member of UCIEP, a U.S. consortium of University and College Intensive English Programs known for its high professional standards and quality English language instruction.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1970
Membership/Accreditation : UCIEP, NCA, State of Oklahoma
Enrollment : 75
Average Class Size : 15
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available from School
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Available Weekly
Location : Urban
Transportation : Bus, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Greetings from the Oklahoma State University (OSU) English Language Institute (ELI) in the Heartland of America! You have just found the perfect place to study English in an intensive setting. Whether you are a prospective university student, a business person, or someone who wants to learn English for personal reasons, we can help.
As a unit of Oklahoma State University, the Institute is accredited through the North Central Association. In addition, its approval by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education and its membership in the prestigious UCIEP consortium attest to the high quality of our curriculum and instruction.
The ELI faculty join me in extending you an invitation to study with us in our beautiful modern facility. You will be warmly received and professionally guided toward achieving your goals. I genuinely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you personally to the Oklahoma State University English Language Institute. We look forward to receiving your application through ApplyESL.com!
Director, English Language Institute (ELI)
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- Since its establishment in 1970, the ELI has hosted more than 10,000 students from all areas of the world. In the past year alone, 23 different countries were represented at the ELI with the majority of students coming from Asia, including Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Malaysia, while others came from China, Brazil, Lithuania, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, and Mozambique.
- Faculty Qualifications
- ELI instructors are highly-qualified, experienced professionals who hold advanced degrees in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) or in closely related academic fields. All instructors have studied a second language, allowing them to relate to the difficulties their students face when learning English. Additionally, many ELI instructors have lived and taught English overseas, making them sympathetic to the cultural adjustments students encounter when coming to the United States to study. The personal and academic qualities of ELI instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- While attending ELI, students have the option to live in campus dormitories or campus apartments. Those living on-campus are close to classes, activities and other students – both American and international. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. The ELI may provide students with information about private off-campus apartments; however, it is the student's responsibility to make individual arrangements. To review the many housing options available, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The OSU campus is located in Stillwater, a safe, friendly city situated in north central Oklahoma and home to 38,000 residents. Often called Oklahoma’s "premier education community," Stillwater is a classic university city that is the regional focus of cultural, recreational and agricultural activities, as well as home to a diverse mix of business and industry, from manufacturing to advanced technology. The city’s gracious community boasts one of the lowest crime rates in the state, one of its many reasons for earning the "Dream Town, USA - #6 Best Small City in America" title from Demographics Daily Online Magazine. Outdoor and sports enthusiasts enjoy the area’s numerous parks and championship golf courses, one named a "Five Star" by Golf Digest, as well as a chain of five lakes offering a wide range of activities, including boating, camping, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, and water skiing. Stillwater residents enjoy typically mild winters and hot summers, with temperatures ranging from 0°C during January and February to 38°C in July and August. Regardless of temperature, Oklahomans experience bright sunshine and blue skies most the year. The metropolitan cities of Tulsa and Oklahoma City are both an easy 1-hour drive from campus.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1890, Oklahoma State University (OSU) is a nationally-recognized, public, comprehensive research university ranked as one of America’s top 20 values in public higher education by Consumers Digest Magazine. Comprised of five campuses, OSU has a system-wide enrollment of over 30,000 students. OSU’s main campus in Stillwater is home to 23,000 students, including 2,200 international students from more than 120 nations around the world, and more than 1,150 full-time faculty members. The 840-acre campus is one of exceptional beauty graced by modified Gregorian-style architecture. At the heart of campus, students enjoy using the impressive Student Union, a popular gathering place complete with hotel and theater facilities, a post office, and restaurants. OSU offers its students bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in more than 190 degree programs among the University’s eight colleges: Arts & Sciences, Agriculture, Business Administration, Education, Engineering, Human Environmental Sciences, Veterinary Medicine, and the Graduate College. OSU’s athletic department has long been known as one of the most tradition-rich programs in the country. With a total accumulation of 44 NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) National Championships over the years, OSU is the fourth-most successful sports program in NCAA history. The University community is alive with excitement come game season, with students, faculty, and members of the community proudly wearing the school colors of orange and black to support their championship team, "The Cowboys."
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- No conditional admission to the university is available.
Intensive English Program
- About This Course
- The Intensive English Program offers flexible start dates for 8 and 16-week programs throughout the year including: Spring, Mid-spring, Summer, Fall, and Mid-Fall. Students enrolled in the program receive 20 mandatory hours of instruction per week, plus an optional 2-5 hours of pronunciation practice and TOEFL practice. In addition, enrolled students can join the social and volunteer opportunities mentioned below for a rich cultural experience. ELI is located in Stillwater, Oklahoma, a lively yet safe American college town which showcases the rich Western heritage of the area.
The program offers 6 levels, from beginning to advanced. Upon arrival, students take a placement exam to determine the level best suited to their ability. Upon completion of each level, students receive progress reports showing grades, attendance figures, and performance evaluations. The mission of the English Language Institute is primarily to prepare students to enter an academic program and achieve success in Oklahoma State University, or any other American university; however, we also welcome students who wish to improve their English for other than academic reasons. An Institutional TOEFL is administered five times a year, two exams in Spring and Fall and one in Summer.
Classes in all skill areas (listening/speaking, reading, writing, structure) are offered at all levels. Students can spend time in the ELI laboratory during their free time to complement their studies. Classroom size ranges from 10 to 15 students per class. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction. Our highly trained instructors have, at minimum, an M.A.TESOL; some have Ph.Ds. All are skilled teachers who have lived and taught abroad, and most speak at least one other language. Their own experience living and learning in another culture helps them teach creatively and compassionately.
A regular program of social activities is arranged for ELI students and can include American holiday celebrations, picnics, sports events, and day trips. In addition, the program features volunteer opportunities which serve as ideal situations for English practice, and enhanced exposure to American culture.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 10 - 15 students CLASS LEVELS: 6 levels COURSE LENGTH: 8 or 16 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 yrs. old REQUIREMENT: High school diploma VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon receipt of required documents HOUSING: Dormitory/On-campus Apartment
8 WEEKS: 6/11 - 8/4Apply by 5/5 10/23 - 12/15Apply by 9/8
16 WEEKS: 8/21 - 12/15Apply by 7/7 8 WEEKS: 3/13 - 5/11Apply by 2/9 6/11 - 8/3Apply by 5/4 16 WEEKS: 1/16 - 5/11Apply by 12/8
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 125
- TUITION FEE (2017-2018)
8 WEEKS US$ 2,000 16 WEEKS US$ 3,800
- US$ 30
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 8 WEEKS N/A US$ 1,500 N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- US$ 100
- University Fee
- US$ 78.30(per 8w); $650(per year)
- Health Insurance
- US$ 325(per 8w);US$ 1,422(per year)
- US$ 200(per 8w); $1,000(per year)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Stillwater, Oklahoma
English Language Institute
Oklahoma State University
307 Wes Watkins Center Stillwater, Oklahoma 74078-8087 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 3.8 School Environment: 4.3 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.4 Activities and Social Life: 3.5 Accommodation: 4.2
- There are 11 reviews for this school
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ Thu qar, Iraq, Age 25, Male ] 2014/7/28
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful.ELI & OSUIt s a good place to study because the teachers here push students to study and enjoy their life. I like the relaxing environment here.
I just took one semester at OSU, and now I feel the improvement in my English. So I'll go on and achieve my goals here.
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ Taipei, Taiwan, Age 23, Female ] 2009/3/6
4 of 4 people found the following review helpful.The Best ELI in OSU!I want to suggest OSU because they have a complete educational system and good teachers. Also there are not too many students from Taiwan so you can totally improve your English pretty fast. The main campus in Stillwater is huge and pretty. They give students a lot of creative space to develop their learning. I had a good time and learned a lot of things from there, not only studying but also becoming more independent.
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.