Maryville College ESL program [Maryville, Tennessee]
- Small class sizes – an average of 6 to 8 students per class
- Qualified students who complete the ESL program are admitted to Maryville College without a TOEFL score
- Enjoy easy access to the city of Knoxville and the nearby Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- About the ESL Program
- Established in 1985, the Maryville College ESL program helps students quickly acquire essential English skills. Students from around the world come to Maryville to receive outstanding English language instruction and individual attention from both the ESL instructors and the Center for International Education advising staff. The purpose of the ESL curriculum is to provide students with the academic and language skills essential to succeed in an American university, a business environment or for personal growth. The ESL students gain full access to Maryville College’s campus facilities and can enjoy using the sports facilities, campus libraries, the student health clinic, wireless campus and computer labs. Social and cultural activities are arranged for students and include shopping trips, hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains, whitewater rafting, and visits to local amusement and water parks. Students are integrated into the Maryville College community. Students can live on campus, eat meals with and interact daily with university students. Their students can easily make many American friends.
Maryville College ESL is a proud member of EnglishUSA, the American Association of Intensive English Programs promoting professional standards and high-quality English programs.
Type : Private University/College
Establishment : 1985
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA
Enrollment : 25-50
Average Class Size : 7
Student Adviser : YesAirport Pickup : Yes
Internet Access : Wi-Fi available campus-wide
Tuition : Low
Activities : Weekly
Location : Suburban
Transportation : Bus, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Thank you for visiting us on ApplyESL.com. If you are looking for a high-quality intensive English program for serious students at a low-cost, you have found it! The Maryville College ESL program offers students an extremely thorough English education at a low cost. If you enjoy the outdoors, beautiful scenery, and a relaxed, peaceful lifestyle, you will love Maryville and its surrounding community. Our campus is located 20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, a place regarded as one of the most beautiful areas of the U.S. and offering ample opportunities to go hiking, camping, fishing, and whitewater-rafting. Knoxville, a city of 350,000 people is located only 20 minutes away. The Knoxville McGhee-Tyson Airport (TYS) is located only 10 minutes from our campus. We offer free airport transportation to all new students and provide a convenient easy check-in to dormitory rooms. Full meal service is provided on campus in easy walking distance. We look forward to welcoming you to Maryville!
Director of International Education
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- Maryville College ESL program hosts 25-50 students from around the world each session. Recently, students have come to the ESL program from Middle East/North Africa (35%), South Korea (15%), Japan (10%), China (10%), Central and South America (10%), Southeast Asia (10%), and Europe/Africa (10%).
- Faculty Qualifications
- The ESL instructors are highly-qualified, experienced professionals. Instructors hold advanced degrees in linguistics, language teaching or in related fields. Most the ESL instructors have lived and traveled abroad, and have extensive training and experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of the ESL instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to care deeply about their students.
- While attending the ESL program, most students choose to live in on-campus dormitories during their first session of study. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities, and other students – both American and international. Homestays are also available however, the ESL program encourages new students to live on-campus for at least one session in order to familiarize themselves with the College and to make new friends. The ESL program may introduce private off-campus apartments if requested, however it is the students’ responsibility to make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- Maryville College’s 350-acre campus is ideally located in the quiet and safe town of Maryville, Tennessee. Recently, the weekly television series A&E Top 10 identified Maryville as a city that "has it all" while the National Strategy Group named it one of "America’s Select Cities." Maryville offers both the convenience of shopping malls, restaurants and entertainment facilities along with the picturesque views of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park located 20 minutes east of campus. Regarded as one of the most beautiful areas of the United States, the Great Smoky Range of the Appalachian Mountains offers ample opportunities for both visitors and residents alike to go hiking, camping, fishing, and whitewater-rafting. Maryville is located only 20 minutes south of Knoxville, the third-largest city in Tennessee with a metro area population of over 655,000 people, and with a dynamic night life of discos, clubs, coffeehouses, music concerts and theater. The major cities of Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Orlando and New Orleans are all within a day’s drive.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1819, Maryville College is one of the 50 oldest institutions of higher learning in the United States. As a private, four-year, liberal arts college, Maryville is home to 1,200 students representing over 25 U.S. states and 22 countries around the world, and 60 full-time faculty members. Affiliated with the Presbyterian Church, Maryville welcomes students of all faiths and offers a nurturing environment promoting personal, intellectual and moral growth. Recently, Maryville was recognized by the John Templeton Foundation as a Character Building College and is listed in its "Colleges that Encourage Character Development" guide. Maryville offers its students Bachelor of Arts degrees in over 30 areas of specialization, as well as the Bachelor of Music degree. Students are actively involved in more than 55 clubs and organizations, including 12 men and women varsity teams, volunteer groups, a student literary magazine and newspaper, and dance troupes. Maryville’s Mountain Challenge Program is one of the finest outdoors programs in the U.S., taking students into the wilderness to explore both the natural beauty of the Great Smoky Mountains and, simultaneously, to explore oneself.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- After completing the ESL program, all qualified ESL students who are admitted to Maryville College are given up to 9 credit hours towards a Bachelor’s degree.
Intensive English Program
- About This Course
- The Intensive English Program offers eight 5-week sessions throughout the year. Students enrolled in the Program in-class instruction and practice the fundamentals of communicative grammar, reading, composition, and listening/speaking.
The Program offers 6 levels of English classes, from beginning to advanced. At the beginning of each session, students take a placement test to help determine the level best-suited to their ability. All ESL students are awarded a certificate of completion upon successfully completing their course. Students with superior grades or with perfect attendance are also awarded certificates of distinction.
In addition to attending regular classes, students can also select from various elective courses to study areas such as TOEFL Preparation, Pronunciation, American Culture, Business English and Films. To enhance their English studies, students are encouraged to use the campus computers lab for English practice, word-processing, individual use or to explore the Internet. The entire campus is wireless and students who bring their own laptops will be able to connect to the Internet anywhere on campus, inside and outside. Outside of the classroom, students have the opportunity to experience American culture first-hand by joining university groups and participating in campus activities including the International Club, the theater program or chorus groups, playing in intramural sports teams, and attending concerts, movies, plays or sporting events.
The average class size is 6 to 8 students with a maximum of 12 students. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 6-12 students CLASS LEVELS: 6 levels COURSE LENGTH: 3, 5 & 6 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 16 years old REQUIREMENT: N/A VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon request HOUSING: Dormitory/On-Campus Apartment
5 WEEKS: 11/6 - 12/14 3 WEEKS: 1/8 - 1/26 5 WEEKS: 1/29 - 3/2 3/5 - 4/13 4/16 - 5/17
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 50
- TUITION FEE (2017-2018)
3 WEEKS US$1,270 5 WEEKS US$1,575 6 WEEKS US$1,785
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 3 WEEKS N/A US$1,045 N/A 5 WEEKS N/A US$1,656 N/A 6 WEEKS N/A US$850* N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- Activity Fee
- $50 (5 weeks); $250 (3 weeks); $300 (6 weeks)
- $129 (5&6 weeks); $25 (3 weeks)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Maryville, Tennessee
Maryville College ESL Program
502 E. Lamar Alexander Parkway Maryville, Tennessee 37804-5907 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 4.2 School Environment: 4.3 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.0 Activities and Social Life: 3.5 Accommodation: 4.4
- There are 6 reviews for this school
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
A Former Student
[ Sao Paulo, Brazil ] 2016/7/8
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.