Texas International Education Consortium
Texas Intensive English Program [Austin, Texas]
- TOEFL exam included in tuition and fees
- Conditional admission and TOEFL waivers to accredited colleges and universities
- Locations in Austin and Beaumont, Texas, where oil and technology are top industries
Choose Your Course Below
- About the ESL Program
- The Texas Intensive English Program (TIEP) is a program of the Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC) and was established in 1965 to provide intensive instruction to non-native speakers of English. TIEP’s rigorous curriculum provides students with the academic abilities, cultural awareness, and language skills essential to succeed in an American university, a professional environment, or in everyday American life. The program offers 10 levels of English classes, from beginning to advanced. All levels of instruction emphasize speaking and listening and also practice reading and writing appropriate in academic, social, and professional settings. Outside of the classroom, students are encouraged to experience American culture firsthand by participating in the activities frequently arranged by TIEP. In the past, these activities have included school picnics, international potluck, holiday parties, outlet shopping, exploring state parks and historical sites, and field trips. TIEP is a proud member of EnglishUSA-the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP) and is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA).
Type : Private English School
Establishment : 1965
Membership/Accreditation : EnglishUSA / CEA, AIRC
Enrollment : 150
Average Class Size : 12
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available from School
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Urban
Transportation : Bus, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Hello from Texas!
We appreciate your interest in the Texas Intensive English Program (TIEP) and the Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC). We are pleased that our partnership with ApplyESL.com makes it possible for you to learn more about our high-quality programs at a reasonable cost. TIEC and TIEP can assist international students with university admissions counseling and placement, conditional admission, TOEFL waivers, visa application procedures, housing arrangements, and many other services. TIEP is a nonprofit organization that provides exceptional English language instruction and U.S. cultural orientation to prepare our students to study at U.S. universities and colleges. TIEP has two locations: one in Austin, Texas, the state capital, known internationally for its excellent universities, tech and business industries, and scenic beauty. Our second location is in Beaumont, a busy port city near the large city of Houston. TIEP at Lamar is located on the campus of prestigious Lamar University, and students are privileged to experience university life in a community-oriented, safe environment. Let TIEC and TIEP be your pathway to education success in Texas!
Terry J. Simon, Ph.D.
Director, Texas Intensive English Program
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- TIEP has welcomed more than 30,000 students from 127 countries around the world to experience life in the United States and concentrate on studying English. In recent years, students from an average of 25 countries have studied at TIEP each semester, including students from Asia (47%), the Middle East (34%), Latin America (14%), Africa (2%), and Europe (3%).
- Faculty Qualifications
- TIEP instructors are dedicated, experienced professionals. Each instructor holds either a master’s or doctoral degree in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL), foreign language education or in related fields. Many TIEP instructors have lived and taught overseas and, on average, have fifteen years of extensive experience teaching English to students from around the world. The personal and academic qualities of all TIEP instructors make each uniquely qualified to offer meaningful language-learning opportunities and to be sympathetic to the issues important to international students.
- While attending TIEP, students have the option to live in either on-campus or off-campus residences. Off-campus housing offers privacy for students who prefer a more independent lifestyle. Students are encouraged to arrange housing as early as possible. TIEP may refer students to private off-campus apartments; however, it is the students’ responsibility to make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- Austin is the capital of Texas, and is located in the middle of the state along the Colorado River. Austin’s mild Southern climate offers an annual average of 300 days of sunshine and allows students to enjoy beautiful lakes, rivers, wooded hills, parks and cultural festivals throughout the year. Frequently ranked among the top 10% in Money magazine’s “Top 300 Places to Live,” Austin offers everything from concerts, theaters and museums, to sports such as football, baseball, swimming, boating, soccer, tennis and golf. Austin is known as the “Live Music Capital of the World” and hosts several music festivals and events throughout the year. TIEP at Lamar is located on the beautiful campus of Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas. Students have access to university facilities and campus amenities, and enjoy the safe, country atmosphere of this coastal area. Beaumont is well known for its oil and gas industries, and is located just north of the famous vacation destination of Port Arthur. Residents have access to several national wildlife refuge areas along the Gulf Coast, and can drive to the busy city of Houston in just one hour.
- About the College/University
- The Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC) is a private, nonprofit, non-governmental educational organization chartered under the laws of the State of Texas since 1985. As an association of 32 public universities located in Texas, TIEC has been functioning informally since 1958 to develop, coordinate, and implement international education projects and programs. Throughout the years, TIEC has managed programs in more than 20 countries around the world, using the human and physical resources of its 32 affiliated universities. TIEC-associated universities offer more than 1,618 bachelor’s degree programs, 1,168 master’s degree programs, and 368 doctoral programs. The TIEC Board of Directors is comprised of chief executive officers and presidents of each of the 32 affiliated universities, guaranteeing the highest level of support for TIEC projects and programs.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to college and university partners is available for qualified students who complete the ESL program. No TOEFL score is required (Undergraduate programs and some graduate programs). TOEFL waivers are also available to students who qualify.
English for Communication and Culture
- About This Course
- The Program provides international students with varying language proficiency the opportunity to improve their English skills for general or professional purposes. The Program offers 7 year-round sessions beginning in January, March, May, June, July, August and October. The length of each session varies from 3 to 16 weeks. Students enrolled in the Program receive 20 hours of in-class instruction per week. Students attend regular classes four hours per day, Monday through Friday, and additionally take elective classes to study areas such as TOEFL and TOEIC test preparation and other assorted topics.
Students have the opportunity to develop their reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in all 3 levels for academic, personal or professional purposes. In addition to attending scheduled classes, students have access to optional electives and tutorials. As part of TIEP’s unique curriculum, students also participate in community-based research projects and reports, class newspapers or booklets, and video projects. Outside of the classroom, TIEP students can practice their recently acquired English language skills during regular social gatherings and cultural activities organized by TIEP.
Small, interactive classes are emphasized to ensure full student participation. Class sizes range from 8 to 15 students with an average of 12 students per class.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 8 - 15 students CLASS LEVELS: 3 levels COURSE LENGTH: 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 15, 16 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 years old REQUIREMENT: Intermediate to advanced level of English VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon request HOUSING: Dormitory or On-Campus Apartment
7 WEEKS: 9/4 - 10/19 8 WEEKS: 10/22 - 12/13 15 WEEKS: 9/4 - 12/13
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 100
- TUITION FEE (2018)
3 WEEKS US $1,095 4 WEEKS US $1,450; $1,645 7 WEEKS US $2,645 8 WEEKS US $2,945 11 WEEKS US $3,845 15;16 WEEKS US $5,245; $5,345
- US$ 85
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE WEEKS 4 WEEKS N/A US $1,250 US $800-1,500 7 WEEKS 8 WEEKS N/A US $2,500 US $1,600 15;16 WEEKS N/A US $5,900 US $3,000
- Airport Pickup Service
- US$ 90
- Remarks / Other Information
English for Academic Purposes
- About This Course
- The English for Academic Purposes program offers 7 to 16-week sessions throughout the year for students who plan on entering an undergraduate or graduate program at an American university and need to prepare for the SAT, TOEFL, TOEIC or other entrance examinations. The Program is designed to help students develop the language skills essential to succeed in an academic environment, as well as enhance students’ vocabulary, presentation skills, and research and essay writing abilities. The Program is designed for students with intermediate to advanced English proficiency. Students enrolled in the Program receive 20 hours per week of in-class instruction.
Upon students’ arrival at TIEP, they are required to take an English assessment test to help determine the level best-suited to their ability. Students in all levels receive fundamental instruction in the areas of listening, speaking, reading, writing, grammar, and vocabulary, as well as develop their study skills through focused exercises and training. The intermediate-level course focuses on integrative skill development. Students in the transitional intermediate-advanced level concentrate on studying selected complex grammar structures, and reading both simplified ESL and authentic academic material. Students in the advanced level focus on expanding their vocabulary, strengthening their academic study skills, and developing their reading, writing, and speaking skills by preparing a research paper, taking lecture notes, participating in formal debates, and delivering in-class speeches.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 8 - 15 students CLASS LEVELS: 4 levels COURSE LENGTH: 7,8,10,11,15 & 16 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 years old REQUIREMENT: Intermediate to advanced level of English VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon request HOUSING: Dormitory or On-Campus Apartment
7 WEEKS: 9/4 - 10/19 8 WEEKS: 10/22 - 12/13
15 WEEKS: 9/4 - 12/13 8 WEEKS: 1/22 - 3/15 3/27 - 5/16 16 WEEKS: 1/22 - 5/16
- APPLICATION FEE
- US $100
- TUITION FEE (2018-2019)
7 WEEKS US $2,645 8 WEEKS US $2,945 10 WEEKS US $3,225 11 WEEKS US $3,845 15;16 WEEKS US $5,245; $5,345
- US $85
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 8 WEEKS N/A US$ 2,000 US$ 1,600 10 WEEKS N/A US$ 2,500 US$ 2,000 15;16 WEEKS N/A US$ 3,750 US$ 3,000
- Airport Pickup Service
- US $90
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Austin, Texas
Texas Intensive English Program (TIEP)
1103 West 24th Street Austin, Texas 78705-4603 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
- There are 0 reviews for this school
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.