California State University (CSU), Northridge
Intensive English Program [Northridge, CA]
- Acceptance of qualified students to CSU, Northridge without TOEFL
- Excellent international students support provided by experienced Advisors
- Access to attractions in the Los Angeles area and nearby cities
- About the ESL Program
- Established in 1977, the Intensive English Program (IEP) at California State University, Northridge provides international students with the opportunity to develop their English language skills while participating in diverse educational, cultural and social activities on a university campus. English instruction at the IEP is carefully planned and enables students to steadily progress to higher levels of English proficiency. Students benefit from instruction led by experienced instructors holding master’s and doctorate degrees. Classes are kept to a small size to promote individual attention. Students are encouraged to use the Program’s computer centers to work on classroom assignments and prepare for computer-based exams. Students who meet all of the university’s undergraduate requirements except the TOEFL score will be offered the IEP’s University Placement Service and can be admitted conditionally to the university as an undergraduate or graduate student. Outside of the classroom, students participate in campus and IEP social activities, and take field trips to places of interest in the Los Angeles area. A welcome reception, free tour of Los Angeles, and a fun end-of-the session party are also some of the program’s highlights.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1977
Membership/Accreditation : N/A
Enrollment : 270
Average Class Size : 15
Student Adviser : YesAirport Pickup : Yes
Internet Access : Yes
Tuition : Medium
Activities : On-going
Location : Suburban
Transportation : Bus, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Greetings from sunny California and welcome to California State University, Northridge (CSUN) and our Intensive English Program (IEP) profile on ApplyESL.com. CSUN is in the northern part of the city of Los Angeles. It is a wonderful and safe place to live and to study. On our campus, you will find palm trees, gardens, modern architecture and places to study, swim, exercise and hang out with your fellow CSUN students. Nearby are Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Southern California’s beautiful beaches.
CSUN is one of the largest universities in the United States, serving more than 38,000 students each year and with more than 30 years’ experience welcoming students from around the world. Every year, nearly 3,000 international students come to CSUN to achieve their goals and to experience life in Southern California. They come from over 93 countries worldwide to have a true U.S.A university experience.
We help you get ready for your next step – whether you want to pursue a degree, study English, or stay for a semester of two and return to your home country to continue your studies. With over 60 undergraduate majors, more than 50 graduate programs, a top-notch preparatory Intensive English Program, a Semester at CSUN program, outstanding faculty, attentive and caring staff, modern facilities, and more, we are sure to have what you are looking for.
We hope you decide to join one of our programs. We are looking forward to welcoming you to CSUN!
International Programs and Outreach Manager
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- On average, the majority of IEP students come from Japan (30%) and Korea (30%), followed by Thailand (9%), Taiwan (8%) and others (23%).
- Faculty Qualifications
- All IEP instructors hold at least a master's degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages or in a related-field. Many of the faculty members have spent a large amount of time living overseas and experiencing other cultures, and they are friendly and willing to provide students with assistance in a variety of different languages.
- While attending the IEP, students have the opportunity to experience living in on-campus dormitories. Living on-campus is convenient as classes are within walking distance and students can participate in readily available on-campus activities. Students are encouraged to make their housing arrangements as soon as possible due to the limited amount of space available. The IEP may assist students in finding private off-campus apartments; however it is the students' responsibility to make their own arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- California State University, Northridge is located in the "Valley of the Stars," Southern California's San Fernando Valley, a scenic suburb of Los Angeles. It is within a 30-minute drive of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Pacific Ocean beaches, mountains and popular attractions such as Universal Studios and professional sports arenas. The San Fernando Valley has many popular studio tours, historical sites, theaters and museums, and it offers an incredible array of fine dining, shopping, lodging and recreational opportunities. World-class attractions are ideally positioned at each of the Valley’s scenic entrances. The magnificent new Getty Center, the Hollywood Bowl and the Los Angeles Zoo are located at the southern entrances; to the east is the site of the granddaddy of all college bowl games -- the Rose Bowl; the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library sits at the west entrance; and to the north resides the world’s tallest, fastest roller coasters at Six Flags Magic Mountain.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1958, California State University, Northridge (first known as San Fernando Valley State College) is a vibrant, diverse university where minority students are welcome and can excel. Over 32,000 students study at CSUN’s beautiful 350-acre campus, including 1,200 international students from more than 70 different countries. CSUN is also a university committed to using advanced technology to enhance their students’ education. Students have full access to the University’s 98 well-equipped computer laboratories and nearly 2,000 computers, most of which support foreign-language fonts. Offering bachelor’s degrees in 59 disciplines and master’s degrees in 41, CSUN is comprised of nine colleges: Arts, Media & Communication, Business Administration & Economics, Education, Engineering & Computer Science, Extended Learning, Health & Human Development, Humanities, Science & Mathematics, and Social & Behavioral Sciences. One of the largest higher education institutions in California, CSUN, according to a recent National Science Foundation report, ranks first among 529 universities whose master’s graduates continued to earn their PhDs in the social sciences and psychology. Given its close proximity to Hollywood, the University boasts an outstanding Cinema and Television Arts program and a nationally recognized Music program.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students who complete the ESL program. No TOEFL score is required (Undergraduate programs and some graduate programs). Students in the advanced levels of the Program may take university credit courses as part of their curriculum.
Intensive English Program
- About This Course
- The IEP offers instructions year-round, with starting dates in January, April, June, August and October. Students will attend a combination of required and elective courses, activity courses and, for advanced students, regular university courses. Instruction is offered at nine English proficiency levels, ranging from beginning to advanced. Upon arrival, students are given an English proficiency test to determine the level into which they will be placed.
The length of each session is either 8, 16 or 24 weeks. Every week, students receive 20 to 32 hours of instruction. The required courses emphasize assisting students to develop their English reading, writing, speaking and listening skills, while elective courses provide students with the opportunity to develop skills in specific areas, including pronunciation, TOEFL preparation, conversation, street talk, grammar and TOEIC preparation. Activity courses are optional and no extra cost and give students the chance to study subjects of interest while practicing English. A few examples would be American Business, American Film and Culture, Computers, and TOEFL Preparation. Advanced students may substitute university credit courses for one or more of their IEP courses.
Class sizes range from 12 to 15 students. Every effort is made to keep classes at an ideal size for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 12-15 Students CLASS LEVELS: 10 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 8, 16 & 24 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 Years old REQUIREMENT: N/A VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Request HOUSING: Dormitory/On-Campus Apartment
8 WEEKS: 10/22 - 12/14 16 WEEKS: 8/20 - 12/14
24 WEEKS: 10/22 - 5/24 8 WEEKS: 10/21 - 12/13 16 WEEKS: 1/22 - 5/20 4/2 - 8/2 8/19 - 12/13
24 WEEKS: 10/21 - 5/22 8 WEEKS: 6/8 - 7/31 16 WEEKS: 1/21 - 5/22 3/30 - 7/31
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 150
- TUITION FEE (2018-2020)
8 WEEKS US$ 3,280 - $ 3,345 16 WEEKS US$ 6,560 - $ 6,690 24 WEEKS US$ 9,930 -TBA
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 8 WEEKS N/A US$ 3,150 - $ 3,180 N/A 16 WEEKS N/A US$ 6,370 - $ 6,720 N/A 24 WEEKS N/A US$ 11,320 - $ 11,560 N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- US$ 40-$ 45
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Northridge, California
Intensive English Program
The Tseng College
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street Northridge, CA 91330-8343 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 4.0 School Environment: 4.2 Helpfulness of Staff: 3.7 Activities and Social Life: 3.1 Accommodation: 3.6
- There are 11 reviews for this school
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.