NU Global [Boston, Massachusetts]
- Combine advanced English language studies with credit-bearing academic classes
- Begin your undergraduate or graduate studies while working on your English
- Gain access to all Northeastern University facilities including libraries, fitness centers, and computer labs during your program
- About the ESL Program
- American Classroom is a unique opportunity to improve your language abilities before entering a U.S. university degree program and to take credit-bearing courses at Northeastern University’s College of Professional Studies at the same time. The program goes far beyond traditional ESL courses. It offers you a comprehensive academic and cultural experience that gives you an excellent start on your undergraduate or graduate degree, and prepares you for success both in and out of the classroom—all in a supportive, international-friendly environment.
Type : Private University
Establishment : 1898
Membership/Accreditation : NEASC
Enrollment : 200-300
Average Class Size : 10-19
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Student Arranged
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : High
Activities : Frequently Available
Location : Urban
Transportation : Bus, Subway, Taxi
- A Message from School
- We look forward to welcoming you to the American Classroom and Northeastern University, and to helping you achieve both your academic and personal aspirations.
Northeastern is a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement, and interdisciplinary research that meets global and societal needs. Our broad mix of experience-based education programs—our signature cooperative education program, as well as student research, service learning, and global learning—build the connections that enable students to transform their lives and to make a difference in the world. Similarly, the American Classroom offers you a challenging language program with both rigorous academics and experiential opportunities to help you engage with the community.
Patrick F. Plunkett, Ed.D.
Senior Associate Dean for Global Engagement
College of Professional Studies
- CONTACT INFORMATION
360 Huntington Avenue 10 BV
Boston, Massachusetts 02115-5000 U.S.A.TEL: +1 (617) 373-2400 X15
FAX: +1 (617) 373-8574
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- American Classroom hosts students from around the world every year. Recently, students have come to the program from Asia (63%), the Middle East (22%), Latin America (9%), Africa (3%), and Europe (3%).
- Faculty Qualifications
- All American Classroom instructors are highly-qualified, caring and experienced professionals. Each instructor holds at least a master’s degree in their field, and many have specialized teaching experience in ESL and other fields, such as business or history.
- NU Global provides information on homestays and other off-campus housing. Students can choose among many options which will allow the valuable opportunities to interact in English while directly experiencing the local culture. For more information, use the contact address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- Boston is renowned for its beauty and historical significance, which attract students from visitors around the world. Northeastern University is located on popular Huntington Avenue, also called “Avenue of the Arts,” as it is host to many of the city’s cultural institutions: the Museum of Fine Arts, the Isabella Stuart Gardener Museum, and Symphony Hall are among its attractions. Students can also enjoy the popular cafes, world-famous shopping, and entertainment interests of nearby Copley Place and Newbury Street. As the capital and largest city in Massachusetts, Boston is New England’s academic and cultural center and one of the most historic cities in the United States. Most famously nicknamed, “Beantown,” Boston was founded in 1630 by its original Native American inhabitants and is now home to over 570,000 Bostonians. Widely recognized as being America’s greatest college town, Boston has more than 100 colleges and universities and during the academic year there are more than 300,000 students in the area, creating an atmosphere rich with artistic, social and intellectual opportunities. Sports enthusiasts certainly do not have a problem finding a team to cheer for in Boston as it is the home of famous sports teams such as the Boston Celtics (NBA basketball), the New England Patriots (NFL football) and the much beloved former World Series Champions, the Boston Red Sox. There are countless opportunities for students to enjoy the city and travel with weekend getaways along the East Coast, including sightseeing in New York City, feasting on delicious lobster in Maine, hiking New Hampshire's White Mountains and exploring the magnificent beaches of Cape Cod.
- About the College/University
- Northeastern University is one of the top private universities in the United States. It has all the qualities of a traditional college campus: grassy quads, tree-lined walkways, wooden benches for studying and socializing. Northeastern is home to over 28,000 students from all 50 states and 129 countries. In this dynamic international environment students will discover new cultures and perspectives while making lifelong friends. Northeastern is famous for its co-op program, in which students gain work experience before graduation by combining professional experience with study in liberal arts and sciences. It includes eight undergraduate colleges and nine graduate schools.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students who complete the American Classroom (some program, detailed information please ask the school directly).
American Classroom Program
- About This Course
- American Classroom is offered to students with upper intermediate to advanced-level English language proficiency who aspire to enter undergraduate or graduate degree programs at Northeastern or another university. The program offers the unique opportunity to combine advanced English studies with credit-bearing academic courses at the College of Professional Studies. The program goes far beyond traditional ESL courses. It offers you a comprehensive academic and cultural experience that gives you an excellent start on your undergraduate or graduate degree, and prepares you for success both in and out of the classroom—all in a supportive, international-friendly environment.
The four-month-long program is offered three times throughout the academic year, and features distinct starting levels, based upon English proficiency. Participants, therefore, must submit language test scores (equivalent to TOEFL iBT 65 OR/IELTS 6.0 (no bands below 5.5) OR PTE A 46 or above) with their applications. Students enrolled in the program during the academic year receive at least 20 hours of instruction each week. Academic advisors help participants with the university application process.
Students enjoy access to all of Northeastern’s facilities including libraries, computer labs, athletic and fitness centers, and the student center.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 10 - 19 students CLASS LEVELS: 3 levels COURSE LENGTH: 15 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 years old REQUIREMENT: English proficiency test score, High School or University Diploma & Application Essay VISA INFORMATION: I-20 Issued Upon Acceptance Into Program HOUSING: NU Global does not manage any specific housing facilities.
However, upon request, housing information will be provided.
6 WEEKS: 5/6 - 8/22 8 WEEKS: 5/6 - 6/26 7/2 - 8/22 14 WEEKS: 1/7 - 4/20
- APPLICATION FEE
- TUITION FEE (2017-2018)
15 WEEKS US $13,675(Tuition&Fees)
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 15 WEEKS N/A N/A US $4,000
- Airport Pickup Service
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Boston, Massachusetts
360 Huntington Avenue 10 BV Boston, Massachusetts 02115-5000 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 4.0 School Environment: 4.3 Helpfulness of Staff: 3.7 Activities and Social Life: 3.0 Accommodation: 3.0
- There are 3 reviews for this school
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ Tokyo, Japan, Age 25, Female ] 2009/3/6
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful.One of the Outstanding Schools in BostonI transferred to Northeastern University from a former language school because I heard about its great reputation for ESL programs. Overall, I really enjoyed the classes as well as the school's environment and activities. I had two main teachers in my level of English. One of them had great teaching experiences and we all enjoyed her class. The way she led the class was effective making us think profoundly, and worthwhile enough to develop my English and culture understanding. I was happy to be in the class because of not only the teachers, but also my classmates who I shared important time with. Moreover, I'm still keeping in touch with my friends and my mind is established as a global person. I am glad that I chose Northeastern University and learned and shared with my friends.
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.