University of Alabama (UA)
English Language Institute (ELI) [Tuscaloosa, Alabama]
- About the ESL Program
- The English Language Institute (ELI) http://www.eli.ua.edu established in 1982, provides professional English-language instruction as well as cultural and academic support to international students at the University of Alabama. The ELI consists of two program divisions: Internal and External Programs. The Division of Internal Programs provides an Intensive English Program for students on both academic and non-academic tracks, an International Teaching Assistant Program for the University of Alabama (UA) international graduate teaching assistants, and supplemental ESL instruction for both undergraduate and graduate UA students. The Division of External Programs provides a variety of specialized programs for groups of international graduate and undergraduate students, teachers, and professionals who wish to improve their own English language and/or teaching of the English language. The ELI is a proud member of UCIEP, a U.S. consortium of University and College Intensive English Programs known for its high professional standards and quality English language instruction.
Type : Public University
Establishment : 1982
Membership/Accreditation : UCIEP / CEA
Enrollment : 75 - 130
Average Class Size : 11
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available from School
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : Low
Activities : Available Weekly
Location : Suburban
Transportation : Bus
- A Message from School
- Hello from Alabama!
We are glad that you are visiting our profile on ApplyESL.com and that you are interested in the English Language Institute (ELI) at The University of Alabama (UA). Since 1982, we have been teaching English as a second language to individuals from all over the world, and we would be happy for you to come and study with us! At the ELI, we are committed to providing you with the best possible instruction and learning environment. Our teachers are experienced, professionally trained instructors in teaching English as a second language, and they are dedicated to providing you with excellent classroom instruction. The University of Alabama campus is one of the most beautiful in the country, and as you study in class, participate in activities, and interact in English every day with your teachers, classmates, and friends, you will find that your English skills will improve rapidly. Whether your goal in learning English is to enter an academic degree program at The University of Alabama or another university in the U.S., or whether you plan to return to your home country to work or study, our goal is to help you to meet your goals successfully. I invite you to fill out ApplyESL's online application and join us at the UA English Language Institute!
Bill Wallace, Ed.D.
Director, English Language Institute
University of Alabama
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- The ELI enrolls approximately 400 students per year from many different countries. Typically, the various regions of the world are represented as follows: Asia = 39%, Middle East = 38%, Latin America = 15%, Europe = 5%, Africa = 3%.
- Faculty Qualifications
- All ELI faculty members hold master’s degrees in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) and have extensive teaching experience. Many of the faculty also have experience living and teaching in various countries around the world.
- The ELI assists students with on campus apartments and University dormitories housing arrangements. Living on-campus is conveniently close to classes and campus activities. It is best to arrange housing as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. School may introduce private off-campus apartments, but students have to make necessary arrangements by themselves. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The University of Alabama is located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, a city of 100,000 people. Tuscaloosa has a relatively warm climate with short winters and long summers. It is located close to major cities in the southeastern United States, such as Birmingham (1 hour by car), Atlanta (3 hours), Nashville (4 hours), and Memphis and New Orleans (4.5 hours).
The state of Alabama is located in the southeastern portion of the United States and is bordered by the states of Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia, and Florida. Because of its location, Alabama enjoys a relatively warm climate most of the year. Summer is hot, winter is mild, and spring and fall are warm and filled with colorful flowers and trees.
- About the College/University
- The University of Alabama, founded in 1831, is the oldest public university in the state of Alabama. It enrolls an average of 39,000 students who come from every state in the U.S. and from almost 78 around the world. International students make up approximately 3% of UA’s student population. The University of Alabama boasts one of the most beautiful campuses in the United States and has excellent facilities to offer its students, including six libraries, nine computer labs, and a state-of-the-art student recreation center.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- ELI students may qualify to take UA undergraduate or graduate courses for credit while they are studying English. Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students who complete the ESL program. No TOEFL score is required.(Undergraduate programs and some graduate programs)
Intensive English Program
- About This Course
- Sessions are 8 weeks long and are offered 6 times per year, beginning in January, March, May, June, August, and October. Half sessions are also available (4 weeks long). The Intensive English Program includes 20-30 hours of classroom instruction per week as well as access to the ELI Study Center and the UA Language Resource Center. There are also opportunities for special cultural activities and travel.
The ELI offers 6 levels of instruction: Level 1 (low beginning), Level 2 (high beginning), Level 3 (low intermediate), Level 4 (high intermediate), Level 5 (low advanced), and Level 6 (high advanced).
Students in the ELI's Intensive English Program take four hours of "core courses" per day: Reading/Writing (2 hours/day), Speaking/Listing (1 hour/day), and Structure (1 hour/day). For these core courses, students are placed in the most appropriate level for each class, meaning that it is possible to be in a different level for each skill area. In addition to these core courses, a variety of optional courses are also offered each session. Students may enroll in these optional courses as they wish for a small extra charge. Optional courses which may be offered include: TOEFL Preparation, Pronunciation, Business English, English through Music, Current Events, American Culture, English through the Internet, and Web Page Design. "Culturally Speaking" is an optional conversation class in which ELI students meet with US students for informal conversation, primarily about cultural topics. The class meets for 2 hours per week. Culturally speaking is held during ELI Fall and Spring sessions only; it is offered during ELI Summer sessions.
The average class size at the ELI is 11 students per class; maximum class size is 15.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 7 - 15 Students CLASS LEVELS: 6 Levels COURSE LENGTH: 6, 8 Weeks MINIMUM AGE: 17 Years Old REQUIREMENT: None VISA INFORMATION: F-1 Student Visa Required (I-20 Issued Upon Request) HOUSING: Dormitory / On-Campus Apartment
6 WEEKS: 5/7 - 6/18 6/21 - 8/2 8 WEEKS: 1/4 - 2/27 3/1 - 4/30 8/20 - 10/11 10/16 - 12/13
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 50
- TUITION FEE (2018)
6,8 WEEKS US$ 2,052
- US$ 25
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 8 WEEKS N/A US$ 1425-2115 Session N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- US$ 30
- US$ 150 (Estimate)
- Medical Insurance
- US$ 215 -285
- University Student Fee
- US$ 384 - 516
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Tuscaloosa, Alabama
University of Alabama
English Language Institute (ELI)
10 BB Corner Hall Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487-0250 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 4.3 School Environment: 4.8 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.6 Activities and Social Life: 4.2 Accommodation: 3.2
- There are 9 reviews for this school
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.