English Language Center [Philadelphia, Pennsylvania]
- Free one-on-one tutoring and academic advising for all students
- Conditional admission to Drexel University through the International Gateway program
- Located in one of America’s first and largest cities – Philadelphia which is halfway between New York City and Washington DC
- About the ESL Program
- The English Language Center (ELC) at Drexel University was established in 1989 to provide students from around the world with outstanding English language instruction for academic, professional or personal success.The ELC encourages intercultural understanding, provides support and guidance for issues outside of the classroom and builds students’ confidence to adapt to university life and American culture.
The ELC has full accreditation from CEA (The Commission on English Language Program Accreditation) and is a proud member of UCIEP (University and College Intensive English Programs), an independent consortium of university and college-administered intensive English Programs in the United States, and EnglishUSA (the American Association of Intensive English Programs) which promote professional standards and quality instruction in intensive English programs.
Type : Private University
Establishment : 1989
Membership/Accreditation : UCIEP, EnglishUSA / CEA
Enrollment : 120-150
Average Class Size : 12
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Homestay Only
Internet Access : On-Campus
Tuition : Medium
Activities : Available Weekly
Location : Urban
Transportation : Bus, Subway, Train, Taxi
- A Message from School
- Welcome to the English Language Center at Drexel University!
We are committed to serving students from around the world and helping them fulfill their dreams of studying in the United States and obtaining a Drexel degree. Our highly qualified team of faculty and staff are here to support you academically, professionally, and personally. Our small classrooms offer individualized attention, opportunity for ample practice, and a cohesive learning environment. In addition, there are many resources that the ELC, Drexel, and Philadelphia can offer you. We invite you to learn more about our programs through our profile on ApplyESL.com or by contacting us. We look forward to welcoming you to the Drexel ELC family!
Dr. Rehab (Rubie) Ghazal
Director, English Language Center
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- Since 1989, the English Language Center has welcomed students from over 100 countries in Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America, and Africa.
- Faculty Qualifications
- ELC instructors are highly-qualified, experienced professionals. Each instructor holds at least a master's degree in ESL, linguistics or in a related field while some have earned doctoral degrees. Instructors at the ELC are actively involved in local and national professional organizations and regularly present papers at educational conferences. Several instructors have published ESL-related textbooks and articles.
- Several housing options are available to students attending the ELC.
- Homestays offer the opportunity to practice English and experience American culture. They feature private rooms, self-serve breakfast each day and at least 3 family-style sit-down dinners a week.
- International House is a large dormitory-style residence with shared and private rooms 15 minutes walking distance from Drexel ELC.
- University City Axis is a student residence located minutes from the ELC. Rooms are spacious and fully-furnished.
- Drexel Residence Halls is available to students in the Drexel International Gateway program only. Students live on-campus in university dormitories.
It is best to arrange housing as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. Housing reservations must be made directly with the providers. Visit the ELC website or contact us for more information.
- Surrounding Area
- The Drexel campus is ideally situated in the University City area, a residential and educational community located just minutes by bus or subway from Philadelphia's historic, artistic and cultural Center City district. The first capital of the United States, Philadelphia is now the nation’s 5th largest city and one of its most historical. It is also less expensive to live in than other large U.S. cities, making it especially attractive to students. “Philly,” as the city is affectionately known, offers a wide variety of cultural, recreational and entertainment opportunities, as well as tax-free shopping at local stores, malls, and nearby designer outlets. Sports lovers can cheer on Philadelphia's professional baseball, basketball, football and hockey teams throughout the year. Philadelphia's location offers a temperate climate and four distinct seasons. Spring and fall are especially pleasant due to the warm winds off the Atlantic Ocean. Low-cost bus lines and the Amtrak station close to campus provide easy travel to New York City, Washington, D.C. and Boston. The nearby Pocono Mountains and New Jersey beaches are less than a 2-hour drive from the Drexel campus.
- About the College/University
- Founded in 1891, Drexel University is one of America’s 15 largest private universities and has been ranked among the nation’s Top 100 best universities for nearly a decade by U.S. News & World Report. Drexel is best known for starting one of the nation’s largest and oldest cooperative-education programs. Through the Drexel Co-op program, students gain on-the-job training with employers worldwide while earning their degree.
Drexel University is comprised of four campuses and is home to 17 schools and colleges including arts and sciences, computing and informatics, media arts and design, engineering, business, and law.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Academically qualified students that do not meet the TOEFL or IELTS requirement for admission to Drexel University can receive conditional admission through the Drexel International Gateway program. Students with TOEFL scores 53-78+ or IELTS 5.0-6.0+ are eligible. Conditional admission to partner universities is also available for qualified students who complete the Intensive English program. No TOEFL score is required. For more information, go to http://drexel.edu/elc/elc_programs/overview/ or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Intensive English Program
- About This Course
- The ELC offers four 11-week sessions of Intensive English classes per year. Half-term (6 week) sessions are also available. Students receive 21 hours of in-class instruction per week and can also attend one-on-one tutoring sessions free of charge. Academic advising for university study in the U.S. is also available to all students. Small, interactive classes are emphasized. The majority of classes have an average of 10 to 12 students; the largest have 15.
The program offers 6 levels of English classes, from beginning to advanced. Students can successfully complete one level during an 11-week term. The curriculum focuses on preparing students for academic success at Drexel or other universities, developing professional skills for work, and building cultural awareness.
An orientation program at the start of each session helps new students learn about ELC classes and activities; meet their teachers, classmates and ELC staff; tour the Drexel campus and Philadelphia; and learn about living in the U.S. and staying safe and healthy. During orientation, students take English language placement tests to help determine the levels best suited to their abilities. At the end of each 6 or 11-week term, students who have successfully completed all course requirements are awarded a certificate of completion.
There are 15 hours of Listening/Speaking and Reading/Writing and 3 hours of Beginning, Intermediate or Advanced Grammar classes each week. Students also take a 3-hour Special Topic course on specific skills including vocabulary development, oral presentations, and TOEFL or IELTS preparation.
Students with high intermediate to advanced level English proficiency may select courses from among four tracks of the Intensive English Program: Intensive English, Global Business English (GLOBE), Language of STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics), and Language of Media & Design. These students may also elect to take a TOEFL Test Preparation or an IELTS Test Preparation course.
Outside the classroom, Drexel ELC offers cultural and language exchange programming for international students. This includes:
- Language exchange with native English speakers through the Conversation Network
- Trips to Philadelphia-area historic sites and cultural events, shopping centers and
professional sports venues
- On-campus events and recreational activities
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 10-12 students CLASS LEVELS: 6 levels COURSE LENGTH: 6 - 11 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 years old REQUIREMENT: N/A VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon request HOUSING: Homestay
Off Campus Residence
6 WEEKS: 4/3 - 5/15 11 WEEKS: 4/3 - 6/19 22 WEEKS: 4/3 - 9/4 33 WEEKS: 4/3 - 11/20 44 WEEKS: 4/3 - 2/11
- APPLICATION FEE
- US $100
- TUITION FEE (2019)
6 WEEKS US $3,024 11 WEEKS US $5,040
- US $285 (Homestay Only)
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 6-11 WEEKS US $868 per month N/A US $600-1,300 per month
- Airport Pickup Service
- Arranged by Student
- University Fees
- us $150 (11 weeks)
- Health Insurance
- US $559 (11 weeks); US $268 (6 weeks)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
English Language Center
229 North 33rd Street Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 3.9 School Environment: 3.9 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.2 Activities and Social Life: 3.6 Accommodation: 3.6
- There are 17 reviews for this school
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ Taipei, Taiwan, Age 26, Male ] 2010/4/16
17 of 17 people found the following review helpful.Good Environment for BeginnersI found Drexel University's English Language Center a particularly good environment for beginning English speakers. I highly recommend this program based on my experience.
Academic Quality: School Environment: Helpfulness of Staff: Activities and Social Life: Accommodation:
[ 台灣, 台灣, Age 20, Female ] 2009/3/8
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.