Center for English Studies (ACCESS) [Ashland, Ohio]
- Advanced-level students attend University courses
- Conditional admission is available to Ashland University
- Enjoy Ashland, a safe, picturesque city only an hour's drive from Ohio's largest cities, Cleveland and Columbus
- About the ESL Program
- The Ashland University Center for English Studies (ACCESS) was established in 1974 to offer students "access" or an "entryway" to learn English and begin their academic studies in the United States. ACCESS is designed to improve students’ American English communication skills and develop a meaningful understanding of American people and their culture, all the while providing excellent preparation for future academic success. While receiving high quality, caring instruction from professional English instructors, students study the fundamentals of reading, writing, grammar, and speaking and listening in order to actively participate in University classes and American daily life. Students have the opportunity to take a break from their studies and participate in weekly trips and activities to visit museums, amusement parks and shopping malls and to try canoeing, ice skating and horseback riding. Students have full access to the University's libraries, sports facilities and computer laboratories and are encouraged to join University clubs and activities.
ACCESS has full accreditation from CEA (The Commission on English Language Program Accreditation) and is a proud member of UCIEP (University and College Intensive English Programs), an independent consortium of university and college-administered intensive English Programs in the United States, and EnglishUSA (The American Association of Intensive English Programs) which promotes professional standards and quality instruction in intensive English programs.
Type : Private Univerisity
Establishment : 1974
Membership/Accreditation : UCIEP, EnglishUSA / CEA
Enrollment : 25 - 30
Average Class Size : 9
Student Adviser : AvailableAirport Pickup : Available from School
Internet Access : Available On-Campus
Tuition : High
Activities : Available Weekly
Location : Rural
Transportation : Taxi
- A Message from School
- Greetings from Ashland, Ohio!
The Ashland University Center for English Studies (ACCESS) is celebrating its 40th year of operation! Our teachers have taught at ACCESS, on average, for 22 years and they are committed to caring for our students' educational, cultural, and living needs. Over the years, we have provided our students with the opportunity to improve their American English communication skills and develop a richer understanding of the American people and their diverse culture. Since we strongly believe in the quality, content and strength of ACCESS, we are pleased to work together with ApplyESL.com because they are committed to working only with high-quality ESL programs. Ashland University is located in a beautiful residential area of Ashland, Ohio, a quiet and safe city best known for its picturesque parks and its friendly residents who will make you feel at home. I hope you enjoy learning more about our program; please feel free to contact me with any of your questions. On behalf of everyone here at ACCESS, we look forward to meeting you in Ashland, where you will have an outstanding learning and all-around experience!
- CONTACT INFORMATION
- More Details
- Student Countries of Origin
- Over the past 40 years, ACCESS has hosted students from Asia (majority from Japan, Korea and Taiwan), the Middle East, Latin America and Europe.
- Faculty Qualifications
- The personal and academic qualities of ACCESS instructors and their years of teaching experience make each uniquely qualified to provide meaningful language-learning instruction to their students. ACCESS instructors hold master’s degrees or received equivalent professional training and experience in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). The instructors have lived and traveled overseas and are sympathetic to the needs of their students to help them adjust to a new culture.
- While attending ACCESS, students can experience living on-campus in one of the seven University dormitories. Students living on-campus will be close to classes, campus activities, and other students – both American and international. Students are advised to arrange housing as early as possible due to the limited amount of space available. The School may provide students with information about private off-campus apartments however it is the students’ responsibility to make their individual arrangements. For more information, use the Contact Address to ask the school directly.
- Surrounding Area
- The University campus is located in a tree-lined residential neighborhood and is a casual 10-minute walk from Ashland's downtown area. Ashland, Ohio is a quiet and safe city that is home to 22,000 people and is best known for its friendly residents. A sign just outside of the city limits openly declares "Welcome to Ashland: World Headquarters of Nice People." Situated in the heartland of America, Ashland's central location offers easy access to the surrounding scenic areas and is within an hour's drive from Ohio's largest cities, Cleveland and Columbus. Join Ashland's residents during the major league baseball season and cheer on their favorite team, the Cleveland Indians. The nearby Snow Trails offers great skiing and snowboarding opportunities during the winter season. Students studying at ACCESS live within a day’s drive of the United States' great cities including Boston, New York City, Washington, D.C., Chicago and Philadelphia. Students can also take a day's drive and visit Canada, Niagara Falls, the Smoky Mountains and the Atlantic Ocean.
- About the College/University
- Established in 1878, Ashland University is a private institution that offers liberal arts and professional studies within its three colleges: Arts & Sciences, Business & Economics and Education. Ashland’s 95-acred campus is recognized as one of the most beautiful in Ohio and is home to about 2,000 full-time students and 4,000 part-time students. The University offers its students bachelor’s degrees in over 70 areas of specialization, and Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Master of Education (M.Ed) degrees. Thirty-five modern buildings enhanced by trees, brick walkways and flower gardens grace the University campus and include theater and art galleries, a library, a state-of-the-art student center, a modern athletic center and seven computer laboratories. Students are actively involved in over 100 student organizations, intercollegiate sports teams and operate an on-campus television and radio station.
- Conditional Admission / Credit Courses
- Conditional Admission to the university is available for qualified students who complete the ESL program. No TOEFL score is required (Undergraduate programs and some graduate programs). If students have been conditionally admitted, they are permitted to take one university class at the same time they take two or three advanced level English classes in ACCESS.
Intensive English Program
- About This Course
- The Intensive English Program offers six 7-week sessions of Intensive English classes per year. Students enrolled in the Program receive 20 hours of in-class instruction per week and are expected to use the language laboratory for homework assignments and personal study for up to 10 hours per week.
The Program offers 6 levels of English classes. At the beginning of each session, students take a language proficiency test to help determine the level best-suited to their ability. Level 1 (Beginner) introduces students to the fundamentals of English grammar and basic English conversation skills. Levels 2 and 3 (Intermediate) introduce students to academic reading and writing and continue to develop students’ speaking and listening skills. Levels 4, 5 and 6 (Advanced) provide students with the academic and language skills needed to succeed in an American university. Depending on students’ needs, special courses may be offered to study areas such as English for graduate studies, TOEFL preparation and English conversation strategies.
In addition to attending regular classes, students also participate in the Discovery Class, mixing English language study with learning American culture and interacting with people from the United States. The Discovery Class focuses on discussing important topics such as family, education, minorities and volunteering and provides the opportunity to hold out-of-class interviews and casual conversations with Americans to talk about significant aspects of American culture.
ACCESS organizes field trips and special events every week. Students attend professional sports games, visit museums and amusement parks, join cultural events and go horseback riding, canoeing and snow skiing. Students are also encouraged to participate in the University's many student-run clubs and organizations.
Class sizes range from 3 to 15 students per class. Efforts are made to keep the class size small for effective English language instruction.
- Course Data
CLASS SIZE: 3 - 15 students CLASS LEVELS: 6 levels COURSE LENGTH: 7 weeks MINIMUM AGE: 18 years old REQUIREMENT: High School Diploma VISA INFORMATION: I-20 issued upon request HOUSING: Dormitory or On-Campus Apartment
7 WEEKS: 3/7 - 4/27Apply by 1/15 5/2 - 6/22Apply by 3/15 6/27 - 8/17Apply by 5/1
- APPLICATION FEE
- US$ 50
- TUITION FEE (2017-2018)
7 WEEKS US $3,183
- HOUSING FEE
LENGTH HOMESTAY DORMITORY / ON-CAMPUS APARTMENT OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCE 7 WEEKS N/A US $2,376 N/A
- Airport Pickup Service
- $100 (including Orientation Fee)
- Technology Fee
- US$ 100
- Medical Insurance
- US$ 287 (estimate)
- Books and Supplies
- US$ 200 (estimate)
- Remarks / Other Information
- United States Ashland, Ohio
Center for English Studies (ACCESS)
401 College Avenue Ashland, Ohio 44805-3799 U.S.A.
- Getting To Your School
- Student Reviews
Academic Quality: 4.0 School Environment: 4.0 Helpfulness of Staff: 4.0 Activities and Social Life: 4.0 Accommodation: 4.0
- There are 1 reviews for this school
- Below you will find additional reviews in other languages.
Students Who Viewed This School Also Viewed
ApplyESL.com is a free "Do-It-Yourself" Study Abroad school search and application service with over 200 schools and 500 English courses which has been used by students from over 100 countries. Here you can find the program best for you and learn about schools with video introductions, application rankings and detailed student reviews. By creating an ApplyESL.com account, you can go a step further and access more important study abroad information including school discount offers.