Frequently Asked Questions and Q&A
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who operates ApplyESL.com?
- What can I do at ApplyESL.com?
- Who uses ApplyESL.com?
- How are ApplyESL.com services different from those of a traditional placement agent?
- Do I need to pay any fee to use ApplyESL.com services?
- What does the term 'Direct Online Application' mean?
- What are the advantages of online applications?
- How do schools prefer to receive applications, online or by mail?
- How will I know whether the school I applied to has received my online application?
- How will my online application look to the school's admissions office?
- What is the next step I need to take after submitting my application online?
- If I want to cancel my application, what do I need to do?
- Do ESL (English as a Second Language) programs have application deadlines?
- Do I need to pay a second application fee if I apply to two different courses?
- Do I need to have my own credit card to pay the school's application fee?
- How do I make corrections to my application after I have already submitted it online?
- Can I really complete the application process by myself?
- How proficient in English do I need to be to complete the application process myself?
- What do I need to do if I want to change my course before I arrive?
- When I contact my school by email, what information should I provide?
- What should I do if I do not receive a response from my school after sending the application?
- What do I need to do if I do not receive a response from the school after submitting my required documents?
- How do I pay the school's application fee?
- How do I pay the school's deposit?
- How much money do I need to guarantee on my financial statements?
- If I provide the school with my family member's bank statement, what supporting documents do I need to send?
- Who should write my recommendation letter and what should the letter include?
- Are copies of official documents acceptable to send to my school?
- Can I extend the length of my study once I arrive at the school?
- What steps do I need to take if I choose to transfer to a different school?
- If I am issued two I-20 forms for different programs in the United States, which I-20 form do I need to submit to the American Embassy or Consulate to begin processing my student visa?
- Can I remain in the United States while my student visa is still valid?
- Can I change my non-student visa while in the United States?
What do I need to do if I want to change my course before I arrive?
You must contact your school's admissions office immediately by e-mail, telephone, or fax if you need to change your course. When contacting the admissions office, be sure to provide your full name, your enrollment identification number, the date you applied to the school's program and the course starting date in order for the office to help you. Once the course change request has been received, you should be sent a revised invoice and enrollment confirmation reflecting the new course. Be sure to check after you receive the new invoice whether you need to send additional money or if you might be due a refund. Refund policies differ at each school so make sure you check with the admissions office and be patient as most refund issues take some time. Most schools require that full payment be made for your requested course prior to your first class, so make sure you take care of this before you arrive. Also, make sure you inform the school of your housing arrangements prior to arriving. In particular, remember to contact the school if there are any changes to your arrival details or if you have any special requests for your host family. As your hosts will be important to you during your stay, be sure to make all arrangements well ahead of time so you can make a good first impression.